Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to repair -repaired seat damage?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 01:51 AM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How to repair -repaired seat damage?

Well, my drivers side bolster is starting to look pretty bad.
When I bought the car and gave it my 2 inch inspection I noted the bolster on the drivers side had been surflexed (sp?) but it looked ok and it seemed superficial.

I'm in federal law enforcement and my duty weapon rubs that spot (yes, I'm left handed) when I get in and out. The surflexing is peeling off exposing the underlying worn leather.

What is the best way of tackling this?

I figure I can: a.) keep driving it and eventually replace it with a new seat (long term and in the mean time I hate looking at it)

b.) Somehow remove the surflex and reapply some (cheap patch and the problem will reappear)

c.) Remove the surflex and perhaps redye the leather with a product like leatherique (don't know how well that'd turn out)

or d.) Have an upholstery shop replace the drivers side bolster (myrad of potential problems from color matching to sheer expense not to mention actually locating a competent shop)

Ideas?
I'd post a pic but I'm ashamed.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:32 AM
901aero
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately there is no easy or inexpensive fix. IMO replacing the bolster is the only way to go. Dying leather, as a fix is as you said, not easy (match and longevety). I'd just go until you replace the seat or install a new cover From PORSCHE. However, finding a decent seat for sale (out of a 993 converted to a track car) may be the best option. You didn't say what color your seat is but if it's black that makes any option easier. I've seen plenty of black seats for sale in PANORAMA.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:47 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello Leland,

I have a friend who owns a classic car reupholstery shop and he can repair seats so well that there is no tint or quality difference.

If you could find a top notch shop in your neck of the woods... you might get off cheaply. This is not rocket science
Old 06-09-2005, 09:27 AM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

On my previous 911, I switched the passenger bolster with the drivers side. Was not difficult to do. For passenger side I used Surflex and it held up well.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:00 AM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

Good point, I did not mention the interior color is cashmere.
I've seen seat pairs selling for about $1500 online. If I can find a single seat up for grabs aor about $750 I'd probably jump for it. For some reason I doubt I could have the bolster replaced for less than that. Who knows. I'll have to wait and see once I move out of this frozen mining town.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:14 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 928 Likes on 561 Posts

After using other stuff to no avail, I tried applications of Leatherique every other month starting 6 months ago. The cracks are there for good, but the leather has a more healthy feel to it. I expected the Leatherique to "lift" the general darker coloration dirt out from the whole surface area, especially the back and seat area, but this has not worked. I live with it, and am budgeting for new seats in another 100K miles.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:18 AM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

I live with it, and am budgeting for new seats in another 100K miles.
HA! LOL

I'd really like to get a hold of a set of the supple leather seats instead of the perferated partial leather seat I presently have.

Or maybe the lightweight virus will strike again and I'll be forced to go with something aftermarket.

Quick Reply: How to repair -repaired seat damage?