Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ride height... check my logic here

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 02:24 AM
Pengster
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed PSS-9 on my car with no. 4 setting all around but just realized that the rear are not balance , the right is little lower than left so will have to bring back to work shop again but the ride is noticeably improved
Old 06-07-2005, 02:25 AM
trojanman
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Max, that is awesome... shows me the potential! Thanks.

Have a nice offer from a fellow Rennlister to purchase his used (around 20k mile) "euro sport springs and shocks" from a '97 turbo... anyone know if these would fit?
Old 06-07-2005, 02:40 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trojanman
Max, that is awesome... shows me the potential! Thanks.

Have a nice offer from a fellow Rennlister to purchase his used (around 20k mile) "euro sport springs and shocks" from a '97 turbo... anyone know if these would fit?
They will fit but they are not designed for your car...given the weight difference and distribution, I'd advise to pass on those. As others have said you really only want to do this once and depending on just how low you want your car, you may not be able to get there unless you go with coilovers or H&Rs...there are very few factory options that will get you very low. If you don't mind getting used than you should just be patient as used PSS9s do come up here from time to time.

If you are looking for some near-term improvement in handling then think about upgrading swaybars, esp the rear, as that requires minimal installation cost (or you can DIY) and no alignment. If you are looking for bang for the buck, then you could probably get used turbo sway bars for $150-200...drill 1-2 more holes in it to stiffen it up...and get a pretty big improvement in handling. Post over on the 993TT forum as there should be a few sets lying around.

Good luck
Old 06-07-2005, 03:30 PM
aof
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are looking for some near-term improvement in handling then think about upgrading swaybars, esp the rear, as that requires minimal installation cost (or you can DIY) and no alignment. If you are looking for bang for the buck, then you could probably get used turbo sway bars for $150-200...drill 1-2 more holes in it to stiffen it up...and get a pretty big improvement in handling. Post over on the 993TT forum as there should be a few sets lying around.

Good luck[/QUOTE]

Ah- was in the same quandry as you are right now. Long story short, I now have PSS9s installed with TT sway (rear) and I couldn't be happier. Should have done that the first time around...and save $$ and time.

If you've got the time to read this, here is the long story. Bought my 98 with only 8k miles; it came with factory sports suspension. At the time, I was happy with the handling, but wished to lower it a bit. So, I bought Euro M030 springs and paid for install plus alignment= $$; car was lowered, but ride (in restropect) was quite skittish. Then, in a quest to fix understeer, I fitted rear TT sways (since my sports fronts are the same as the TT fronts-I kept that). Though it handled a lot better, the ride was truly horrible. The sways basically exposed my worn stock shocks (with only ~15k miles)- but, once I realized how better the car could handle with different sways, I couldn't live with the stock shocks. So, I bit the bullet, and installed PSS9s with the rear sways. A buddy of mine and I did the install, but still paid for another alignment and corner balancing. I'm now on 6fronts and 4rears on the PSS9s and even with the horrible MN roads, the ride is firm, and yet less harsh than the stock set up!. Infact, its not at all harsh. The handling is truly terrific.

Moral of the story; listen to this board- leave it stock or do a complete suspension overall once and for all- Bilstein HDs+ROW springs or PSS9s. I'm glad I went with the latter. And I'm not a track junkie.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:11 AM
trojanman
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quick update on the suspension stuff...

I lucked out and found some very lightly used (~3,500 miles) H&R coil-overs for only $500. They're being installed this week at Hergs (along with a new top end and a few other "sundries"). I've asked for somewhere between ROW and RS ride height and the car will be aligned and corner-balanced.

I'll post some pics when I get 'er back. Thanks for the replies, everyone!

Quick Reply: ride height... check my logic here