993 Forum 1995-1998

Totally OT - Tuscanny Cycling Trip

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 03:34 PM
MGA
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike...that's the one thing we never talked about. While i consider myself a hard-core mountain biker, i got my first high-end road bike last year. I get to MTB 2x a week and oad-bike about once. we'll have to do a ride together.
Old 06-03-2005, 04:07 PM
WildWillard
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike -

Looks like a great time. What was the daily mileage?

Doug
Old 06-03-2005, 04:10 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by MGA
Mike...that's the one thing we never talked about. While i consider myself a hard-core mountain biker, i got my first high-end road bike last year. I get to MTB 2x a week and oad-bike about once. we'll have to do a ride together.
Martin,

Hi. What did you buy for a road bike? You (especially) would enjoy one of Treks Performance rides - they have some MTB ones as well. As I mentioned to David, going with someone you know would be great. I am planning on making this a 2 or 3 times a year thing. Also is a great motivator to stay in shape. Give me shout sometime at the office to say hello.
Old 06-03-2005, 04:13 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by WildWillard
Mike -

Looks like a great time. What was the daily mileage?

Doug
Doug,

Mileage was about 45-50 miles per day. You can opt to ride less, but no one opted for more - just too tough. Some days my AVERAGE speed was 12 mph !! The climbing was not to be believed. I thought I lived in hill country in Upstate NY - hills? You call these hills?
Old 06-03-2005, 04:55 PM
Stevarino
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA (Brentwood) & New York, NY (Tribeca)

Mike:

Great post. Thanks. IMHO, always feel free to share your cycling exploits. Btw, Tuscany sounds exactly like Southern California, so if you're in the neighborhood, let me know, as you or anyone is free to join my local club anytime: http://www.lagrange.org/rides.htm

Discovery Channel's training camp was just up the road in Solvang and Lance has been frequently seen riding the hills of Malibu - my favorite haunt.

I just may join you in SF for the October ride. 'Sounds very nice, but I'll likely bring my own ride.
Old 06-03-2005, 05:05 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Stevarino
Mike:

Great post. Thanks. IMHO, always feel free to share your cycling exploits. Btw, Tuscany sounds exactly like Southern California, so if you're in the neighborhood, let me know, as you or anyone is free to join my local club anytime: http://www.lagrange.org/rides.htm

Discovery Channel's training camp was just up the road in Solvang and Lance has been frequently seen riding the hills of Malibu - my favorite haunt.

I just may join you in SF for the October ride. 'Sounds very nice, but I'll likely bring my own ride.
Steve,

Thanks for the note. I think you're right about the Tuscanny terrain and Southern California being similar - actually S'California may be tougher. I went to school at UCSB but my cycling was limited to Isla Vista and campus.

I am a definite for the (Northern California) Trek Performance Ride in October. If you do sign up let me know.

Steve, BTW, one of the ladies on the trip was from Saudi Arabia. Her name is Dina Nazer. She had the 'Kahala' cycling jersey that is on your website and I remember she said she trained in the LA area. Know her? She road the trip with a Dura-Ace double. Very strong.
Old 06-03-2005, 07:31 PM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Beautiful pics...we were just there last fall. Enjoyed the Umbria region just to the south. Lots of great little towns with fantastic roads between them.

Maybe going back in Sept for the F1 race Monza...I'll keep you posted. On the last trip we went to the Ferrari factory.
Old 06-03-2005, 07:44 PM
Stevarino
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA (Brentwood) & New York, NY (Tribeca)

Mike:

'Don't know her, but I just started training with the club a few months ago. I'll look for Dina/ask around. We have many very strong riders that join us off and on. 'Keeps me humble....
Old 06-03-2005, 11:51 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow Mike, some people just live right! Very jealous here. I love Italy though I have been there a few times, I have only been to the Alpine region skiing and once I rented a car for a day trip south to Venice. Obviously, I have missed most of the country. Great pics!
Old 06-04-2005, 07:34 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dudley
Wow Mike, some people just live right! Very jealous here. I love Italy though I have been there a few times, I have only been to the Alpine region skiing and once I rented a car for a day trip south to Venice. Obviously, I have missed most of the country. Great pics!
Dave,
Thanks. Hope all is well. Skiing in the Italian lps isn't too shabby. What's your secret? Clean living, no doubt. Also, are you still planning to come to the WG Vintage GP in September?
Old 06-05-2005, 08:57 AM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mike, We are in! Jennifer and I talk about the trip once a week. We have even had the discussion with friends that there will be no weddings, galas or funerals scheduled for that weekend!!
Old 06-05-2005, 11:43 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Dave,

You're funny - I can understand checking the schedule for gala or weddings, but how do you make sure there are no funerals?

I will make a calander note to get four 'Porsche Corral' tickets for that w/e when they are available.

Ciao,

Cap
Old 06-05-2005, 07:11 PM
rockwoodfarm
Instructor

Mike you've seriously got my envy up. Your pics are great and the trip seems awesome. We did France last August, Mount Ventoux and some other Tour territory. Thanks for sharing.

Quick Reply: Totally OT - Tuscanny Cycling Trip