Sponsored by:

993 more power

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 10:51 AM
Michael Cain
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993 more power

The 993 is just a car, its a bit quirky, but at the end of the day its a 12 year old Porsche Design.

I have owned my 993 since Jan 1 2005 and i have enjoyed the ownership, I did dream about owning this car for a long long time, I read so much you would not believe, i have lots of books and magazines, I believed all the hype and then bought one. Unfortunately my own imagination got the better of me and I have been let down.

The engine although semi powerful did not provide the excitement I was looking for, the handling compared to my previous car (a 944 S2, engine in the front, gear box in the back, 50/50 weight distribution) was disappointing, I have never felt at one with this car, on the limit or getting close to it is unsettling. The car going round corners fast does not provide you with a great deal of confidence. There is always an amount of uncertainty that the car will lose its rear end, 65/35 weight distribution provides the driver with a giant pendulum, I have spun this car a number times and am now aware of the problem, you can not get away from the laws of physic's. For me I love throwing a car hard and fast round corners, this car does not allow me to do this!!!

The 993 design is beautiful, some say the most beautiful 911ever created, I lusted after this car for years, spent hours drooling over photos and critically comparing it too 996’s thinking how the moden porsche designers got the new design so wrong.

But after actual ownership I have experienced the flaws. The 993 is too small, it should be about 20 percent bigger, the wheel base is too short and creates interesting handling on the track, this should be longer! The engine should be slightly infront of rear wheels, not behind, giving better balance and handling, the instruments in the cabin are badly laid out, for example you can not see the speedometer as your hand when on the steering wheel blocks the reading above 80 mph. If you want to see what speed you are doing when driving around 120/140 you have to take your hand off the wheel. Not a good idea!

The climate control is difficult to use , air conditioning system is useless in hot weather. The front windscreen does not demised easily. The cabin space is too small for me, I am 6’3 with a long back, I have tried putting the seat in several different positions but cannot get comfortable. The interior design has of course had its day, the cassette holders behind the handbrake leaver give a hint of an entirely different generation.

With many of its short comings the 993 is not perfect, but the engine sound I cannot fault, I just love the engine note at 5000-7000 rpm, it has to be the perfect sound and an experience to savour. I would be very surprised if the new Cayman can provide the 993’s magical sound.

IMO though i do have a horrid feeling that the Cayman S is going to be mass produced like the Boxster and we are going to see one parked on every street corner.

Never the less I am looking forward to the Cayman S, I am looking forward to the handling and balance of the mid engined layout, a roomy and modern designed cabin an air conditioning system that works. At the end of the day you have got too look forward to the future of Porsche and realises that the 993 designed well for its time has had its day.

Last edited by Michael Cain; 06-03-2005 at 11:39 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-03-2005, 10:58 AM
Stephen Fisher
Instructor

I am sorry that the 993 did not work out for you. I have had my 993 since 98 and have been a track enthusiest for more than 10 years.

I love almost everythig about my 993 and find the handeling to be superb for the track. Suspension, tires and brakes are upgraded, but these were only enhancements of a good thing.

Good luck with the Cayman.

SF
Old 06-03-2005, 11:01 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like you should sell that 993 and get on the Cayman list. The 993, and 911s in general, are not for all people....thankfully!

Having owned several mid-engined cars, I wish you luck with the interior space issue.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:33 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 442 Likes on 241 Posts

Each to their own. I wouldn't want the 993 to be any larger, and I love the instrument panel.

Perhaps your car is not achieving its full potential for some reason. These cars can go pretty hard around corners.

Regardless, there are plenty other Porsche models out there. I hope you find one that satisfies you.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:35 AM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by graham_mitchell
Each to their own. I wouldn't want the 993 to be any larger, and I love the instrument panel.

Perhaps your car is not achieving its full potential for some reason. These cars can go pretty hard around corners.

Regardless, there are plenty other Porsche models out there. I hope you find one that satisfies you.
ditto!
Old 06-03-2005, 11:40 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,970 Likes on 2,814 Posts

Michael - I'm sorry the 993 didn't fit your ideas of what a sports car should be. I have owned several 911s over the years and the rear-engined layout was very hard to acclimate for me too. It literally took years and lots of track time to "learn" the 911 handling. Now I can't live without it and find the "perfect" 50/50 balance to be very boring and imperfect on the track (I've owned two 944 Turbos). I'm sorry you've given up before reaching that point - I suppose some never do even with adequate time.

Did you ever participate in a track day with a knowledgable instructor?
Old 06-03-2005, 11:45 AM
garychios
Pro

Nice write up. I have to agree on a few things as well, but the looks take over and I keep her.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:46 AM
Rezal
Burning Brakes

Different strokes for different folks. Diversity is a wonderful thing. Hope you find a car that makes you happy. Sounds like maybe the Cayman but it does have only two seats...

Btw, I don't know where Hove is exactly but I've driven around the Yorkshire area and while I love the twisting roads, I can't imagine driving anything bigger than a 993 as I might take out a hedge (or sheep) or two.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:47 AM
HK G36C
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

I feel like my 993 fits like a glove and does what I want her to do, but also she tells me my limits. I don't know many cars that can do that. No false sense of security....I realize now that are some issue with the 993, but I was not buying because she was realiable like a Toyota I bought her because the thrill was amazing. Okay, got to get ready for work....she is waiting for me to run her hard this am or every am.

The LC is pefect because you can put the key in start the motor and go...and go and go.....no Italian tuneup or other issues to deal with.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:08 PM
tjhcom
Track Day

Default Re: 993 Power

Funny -- I had a similar PRE-purchase experience -- dreaming about the car, reading everything I could get my hands on, lurking on Rennlist for years , stressing over the 993 vs 996 decision, etc. -- but a very different POST-purchase experience. Last November I got a '96 Carrera 4 and it has exceeded my expectations on every count. I love the balance and feel with the engine in the back. The seating position and size are perfect for my 5' 11" frame (although the seats are not quite as comfortable as my '01 Audi S4). I LOVE the power curve - esp. 3rd gear.

I bought this car realizing that I could have 'built it up' in my mind to be more than it was. That happened to me before with a car, and I experienced a significant case of "buyer's remorse". However, at this point anyway, I believe that I'll never sell this car and will probably continue to drive it on a weekly basis. Good news for me, since I'm just dropping it off for its 60K service ($OUCH)!
Old 06-03-2005, 12:29 PM
97Targa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might want to consider a 997 C4 (when available?) and a DE session or two. More room, more power and more seat time=more fun? Besides it looks(more) like a 993!
Old 06-03-2005, 12:31 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

My 993 is my 7th Porsche since 1972, and it is the best so far IMHO. I sold my Boxster to get another 911, and almost bought a 996, but it was a bit too "Lexus" for my taste. The 993 is far from perfect, but to me, the looks don't fade. It turns heads wherever I drive. I can't park it and just walk away--I always look back. It is a very engaging car, demanding of attention, but returning great character and entertainment. That said, they don't suit everyone, and that is one of the things that make them great--they don't try to be all things to all people. A 993 is a very honest machine, without a lot of frills.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:46 PM
ibdavid
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Michael, I understand your perspective after coming off a 944. The 944's handle great and are easy to "become one with", not to mention they have a ton more room. Maybe you should consider going to a nice 951? The 993's are certainly not for everyone, but they are wonderful cars when set-up properly, that is if you can handle the "space" issue. I have to comment on the instrument panel, it's still the best looking shape/design I have ever laid eyes in IMHO and when you're driving over 100, you should be looking at the road anyway..
Old 06-03-2005, 01:00 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure how many miles are on your car or what modifications were done but here are a couple of thoughts:

1) I'm 6'2" and what a lot of people don't know is that the driver's seat can be moved further back from its initial settings. Unbolt it and move the next set of holes. BIG difference.

2) Depending on mileage, your suspension may just be old and in need of addressing. Even if it's relatively low miles, you would be amazed at what a good suspension (including sway bars) does for your car. I've got PSS9's on mine with Turbo sway bars. I would challenge you (to a point....) to take mine out on your favorite curves and not have a smile on your face.

3) I've spun my car once and that was at the track on a hairpin. If you've spun it several times on the highway/roads, there may not be a car out there that's right for you....

4) How could the climate control be any simpler? I live in Florida and one of the first things that I was pleasantly surprised about is how well the air conditioning works. You may want to have yours checked out.

Move the seat, do the suspension upgrade, go to the track a couple of times to really learn the car (and proper hand position on the steering wheel) and call us.
Old 06-03-2005, 01:13 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PedroNole
...Move the seat, do the suspension upgrade... and call us.
RRRRRRRRiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnngggggggggggggggg! I'm 6'6 - Been there, done that - worked like a charm.

Oh, and that 50/50 thing, I have never like the feeling of being a spinning top once the limit had been exceeded. Keep the weight out back where I can manage it.

Quick Reply: 993 more power