realistic power limits for NA 993?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 08:26 AM
porschedriver
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by maurice97C2S
Hi Porschedriver

Would be interested to see the power / torque curves, and know what cams were used. No head work ?

cheers, Maurice
The cams are 993 sportcams from Cargraphic.

www.cargraphic.com

They buy them from another manufactuer (I think its the same that provide cams for gemballa etc.)
Its the most agressive cam you can fit without changing anything else. I dont use mechanical rockers/lifters, i still have the hydraulic lifters.
They have complete tuning kits with everything included.

When my camera comes back from service (the display didn´t like trackdriving while lying in the boot) I will try to take som pictures of the dyno test.

Edit: Didn't do any major head work as i know of.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:43 AM
Rezal
Burning Brakes

First, adding power to the 993 will nowhere be close to your WRX. With the WRX, remove the front cat, put in a catback system, rechip, (all for what, $1500-2500?) and you've got 350-450hp easy. With the AWD, traction won't be an issue. However, based on what I hear, I would question the reliability as even a turbocharged 3.0 producing 300hp is already a stressed engine.

285hp out of a 3.6, two-valve per cylinder, air-cooled engine that would easily last over 200,000 miles is not bad. Adequate cooling has always been an issue that limited further power. The GT1 (and 959, IIRC), ran with water-cooled heads.

There are those who think there is no such thing as too much power. I won't mention any names (TT forum) but I've always been a believer that good linear power delivery with a communicative chassis is better than outright power. SpecMiata guys will attest to this. And Lotus hasn't had any problems selling its Elise with "only" 190 hp.

Otherwise, back to my earlier point, for power/performance, nothing will beat a turbocharged engine, be it a 930 or WRX. I've had my turbo days (300ZX TT) and am quite content with a car that has less hp than my Z (which was unchipped but still putting out around 340hp).
Old 06-02-2005, 09:17 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have around 350-355hp on an engine which has so far done around 6000miles of normal to hard driving. I guess I can't say anything on longevity yet though...

p.s. this was not cheap though....
Old 06-02-2005, 10:33 AM
aam993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000wrx
I had thought about some of the "big bore" motor options, I kinda like the idea of a lightweight NA car, I would think that 350+HP from 3.6+L is fairly easy doing...
Just a reference point - Kim is selling his 993 racecar with factory 3.8L Factory kit. He quotes in his ad 317hp...
Old 06-04-2005, 10:12 AM
2000wrx
Instructor

"With the WRX, remove the front cat, put in a catback system, rechip, (all for what, $1500-2500?) and you've got 350-450hp easy"

Just an FYI Up pipe, Down pipe, cat-back, and a rechip might get you 260-280 CHP on a WRX, The USDM 2.0L is at its limits of reliability at around 300AWHP which would require a larger turbo 16G(ish) larger injectors, and should have a larger IC.

On the other had many JDM 2.0L motors are making 300-400AWHP with a reliability track record that stands up well. As are the USDM STi 2.5L motors, and at only 1500.00 for a complete short block they are a steal and can take over 500AWHP in stock form.

K just information for informations sake.

Talking with many of the Scooby guys some have owned P-cars and are fans of the 911. Though most have moved to STi's FWIW. I guess it comes down to how much do you want to own a name. Performance is performance in the end I think.
Old 06-04-2005, 12:01 PM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All these HP talk is pub talk. How many of us say 285hp (mine is 300 from the factory) is not enough who can actually PROPERLY handle that kind of power. I suspect not many on this board. I for one cannot so more than happy with what I got. If you really want to get the most out of the car as many of you have already said in the past GO TO PERFORMANCE DRIVING SCHOOLS it should make one hell of a difference.

Harry
Old 06-04-2005, 12:35 PM
rmani
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RS man
All these HP talk is pub talk. How many of us say 285hp (mine is 300 from the factory) is not enough who can actually PROPERLY handle that kind of power. I suspect not many on this board. I for one cannot so more than happy with what I got. If you really want to get the most out of the car as many of you have already said in the past GO TO PERFORMANCE DRIVING SCHOOLS it should make one hell of a difference.

Harry

I think HP junkies are a lot more common in the US because of the open highways. Even in NJ (the most densely populated state) you can find some nice highways and drive in excess of 150 mph for short spurts. Hence I've found that we are much more obsessed than most Europeans with HP numbers.

I too was all about HP until I went to italy and found some of the nicest curves that I thought never existed. Some so tight and with so many transitions that HP meant squat.
Old 06-04-2005, 02:45 PM
901aero
Burning Brakes

Good point made, rmani. I fell like there are certain power ranges for every car. Once you exceed that you realistically cannot compensate in tires, suspension, etc (and still live with it as a street car). I have owned a few 911's over the years and remember the crazy days of the 80's when DP, Kremer, and the likes were building IMO totally unusable cars for the street -- 500 to 700+ HP. I can say though I would like about 50 to 75 more HP in my current 95 993. I have done track events in my younger days. I feel reasonably confident I can handle more power in my car. But there is a limit you are right.
Old 06-04-2005, 03:30 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Talking with many of the Scooby guys some have owned P-cars and are fans of the 911. Though most have moved to STi's FWIW. I guess it comes down to how much do you want to own a name. Performance is performance in the end I think.
I hope you're not trying to say that the reason we own p-cars is because of the name. This is hardly the place to try to make that point.

...Though deep down I still think that a 993 will be out of my price range.
So you want a 350 hp car for under $30k? You're definitely barking up the wrong tree by considering porsches. Ain't gonna happen. That said, my $25k 272 hp 993 with $3k in suspension work has made me faster than all the 400+hp stage 3 Audi S4's that I've come across. That says a lot.

hp <> performance
(unless you're a street racer, in which case you're again on the wrong forum)

Could I keep up with 400hp STi's or EVO's? Highly unlikely, but 993's still have plenty of strong points that make them great track cars.
Old 06-04-2005, 04:05 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

If Porsche never published HP figures of the 993 and had to guess solely by driving my 272HP beauty, I would estimate much higher than what it actually is. The way it pulls, even at higher speeds where aero factors apply (squared law of drag) would make me believe this thing had much more power than published. Maybe the power curve of Porsche is much more broad than that of say Corvette or the modern Turbo Japanese tuner cars, where peaky HP numbers are creatively advertised to attract those potential buyers who rely only on such figures. Question is, what does the power curves of -other- cars really look like. Is it, dare I say, -usable- power, or productive power. What I mean is sure many other cars have high HP figures, but how well are these put to use, assuming one doesnt always drive at redline, all the time..
Maybe I am a weirdo (dont answer that), but I feel that I have not tapped into the true potential of the 993, especially on-track and I am not particularly interested is just more power, per se.

Nice, long and flat power curves is what gets my attention, not so much peaky HP marketing

Last edited by chris walrod; 06-04-2005 at 08:40 PM.
Old 06-04-2005, 05:15 PM
rmani
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Porsche in general rates hp very conservatively. I'd peg any 993 at close to 300hp stock if you look at the dyno numbers.
Old 06-04-2005, 05:23 PM
901aero
Burning Brakes

I wonder how much more "useable" power we could have in our 993s if every year the Brochure specs did't seem to have to have the obligitory increase in top speed. As someone here mentioned if you really drive your 993 do you ever get to use 6th gear? I seldom can find a use for 5th.
Old 06-04-2005, 05:55 PM
cfdarch
Addict
Rennlist Member

Talking with many of the Scooby guys some have owned P-cars and are fans of the 911. Though most have moved to STi's FWIW. I guess it comes down to how much do you want to own a name. Performance is performance in the end I think
2000wrx

hmmmm...I thought you prefaced yourself as being a car designer????....anyhow if you and your scooby buddies be happy with your scoobies so be it. I think when I park my 9 year old Porsche next to a 9 year old Subaru there is no question who has better design on their side. Oh and when I park my 36 year old porsche next to a 36 year old subaru...did they even make Subaru's 36 years ago???...and if so are there any on the road???? Funny I never read about guys like Freeman Thomas rennovating/futzing with old Subaru's. So tonight...shall I plop in the my Victory by Design: The Porsche Story dvd or the Subaru Story....ooooopppss there is no Subaru story. Cheers
Old 06-04-2005, 08:31 PM
mborkow
Drifting

my brother-in-law has a wrx sti and i have driven it. it is a nice car, fun to drive, and very safe (these things did great in the side impact tests), but it has to be the ugliest car on the road (i think they beat those cars with the ugly stick coming out of the factory!) and it is nowhere near as much fun to drive as the 993 no matter how much hp is under the hood. i am not a mechanic nor a mechanical engineer, but this obsession with hp seems to be a pissing contest; performance is dependant on so many other factors (torque, aerodynamics, etc) in addition to hp that seems silly to focus on just that one aspect of a car (much like obsessing about the clock speed of your computer's cpu and disregarding the bus, memory and hd speed).
Old 06-05-2005, 03:59 PM
2000wrx
Instructor

Sorry I did not mean to suggest anyone here bought a Porsche because of the name, though that isn't to say that it doesn't happen.

I do agree that better driving skills far out weigh more power. The fact is that I really don't fully know yet what I want from a car. This is a learning curve IMO, and as I drive more varieties of cars on more roads/tracks, my vision should focus.

Cfdarch – you’re coming off as a little elitist there. Yes I design cars, and I wont defend the aesthetics of the Subaru STi. I will however stand on the performance per dollar of said Subaru. Last I checked the STi Spec-C lapped the Ring with times of P-cars 3X its cost that is value by my definition. I too can appreciate the history of Porsche and their accomplishments, as I can with Subaru in the WRC. I don’t need a 35-year pedigree to enjoy my car I guess.

My search is to determine what Porsche I will buy and live with for a long time. I am not a well off man, so I cannot just buy the latest and greatest. A Porsche for me is a substantial investment. I want to make sure that I make a good choice for myself. At times when looking at the performance of other cars I have to logically question the value of getting into a Porsche.

I like many of the 911 cars for varying reasons, the 911 3.2L light, reliable, a well-balanced value. The 993 what many consider the pinnacle of the 911 evolution, powerful, balanced, with a hint of the raw edge that defined the 911. The 930 A raw, bite the hand that feeds it powerhouse, that will reward those who learn it well.

In the end I know that I will need to drive many of the choices and research much more to know what will fit me best.

Thanks for all the input guys.

Quick Reply: realistic power limits for NA 993?