Sponsored by:

Lots of Pics from PCA Maverick Region Race Event Today

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 11:25 PM
Michael-Dallas
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
ps. i guess i met kevin today accidentally and didnt even know it... i was wondering around the stalls and saw a black 993 c2 and a 993 supercup in a stall together, so of course i stopped to chat...

there were two drivers in the car today, so not sure which i met... but, kevin if it was you, hello from a fellow rennlister...
The second driver was George A. I was hanging out w/ George and Kevin today so if you saw a dorky Asian guy wearing a green PCA Mayfast shirt, then that was me.

Also, congrats to George A for winning the rookie of the race award on Sunday's sprint race.

Michael.
Old 05-31-2005, 12:03 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by RJT
Great Pictures Jonathan!

The Motorsport Ranch is one of the places on our list to maybe move to and build a house. Have they started yet? Can't imagine how great it would be to have a house that sits on top of your very own six car or better yet, eight car garage that is right at the track. Might get a little noisy onthe weekends, but who cares? To Robert and I that is not noise, it's MUSIC!!!!

Here's the link for the Motorsports Ranch and the trackside housing:

http://72.29.98.19/~motorsportranch_com/

JoAnne

PS: How many cars ran in the Enduro?
Yikes! A 6 car for 200K? My dream house
I believe that the same folks are building in Houston as well! Besides that I'm completely bumped about this, for you JoAnne it should be in your list too! Just imagine you are going to be a stone throw away from 2 great tracks and a GREAT Greek mechanic

BTW Kevin is a GEM of a guy that I have the pleasure of knowing in person due to this great site. Congrats to George as well for his Rookie award! I sincerely hope that these two guys after they get some rest today they will chime in and give us the full monty, hopefully George will cook up one of his great video's for us too!
Old 05-31-2005, 11:36 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jonathan, that me (George) that you talked to in the garage. Sorry if I didn't introduce myself or was a little curt, I was trying to get my game face on. I like to drive in anger. It was you asking about my exhaust, right? Sorry again, you usually can't get me to stop talking and swearing.

Danny, per you request, here are the videos:

Start
Finish

Kevin and I had a blast. I got Kevin on the start of the sprint and everything until the end was boring. I was just out there by myself, not much fun and I kept messing up because I was watching the action on other parts of the track. Kevin finally started to get the feel of it was starting to turn some incredible lap times. He caught me at end and I tried to block him but I kept messing up. You can see me keep looking in my mirrors. It was fun watching Kevin "get it". I actually had an easy time and got all the non GT cars except Buckley in his C RSA, all in a D class car, and finished 9th overall. Who said 993 are uncompetitive in D?

Kevin and I finished 7th overall in the enduro, I can't tell you how tiring it is to drive a non power steering car on slicks for 30 minutes. I’m sure Kevin will chime in when he gets up.

George
Old 05-31-2005, 02:55 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Ok, I got my pics up on my website from the club race, here they are:

Club Race Pictures

Enjoy,
George
Old 05-31-2005, 04:17 PM
kev
Darth Cup
Rennlist Member

Hey everyone, I log on and look what I see.

Jonathan,

Sorry if we met and I forgot who you were, alot of people stopped by over the four days to chat. George is the Bulgarian guy, I'm the black guy.

Michael,

Thanks for giving me a hand loading up all my junk. Appreciate it.

Danny,

Thanks for the kind words.

My first race weekend, what can I say? I have a couple hundred stories I could tell. The best is probably when I gridded up for the practice starts/fun race and realized I had two rears on the right side of the car. DAMN! I rushed back to the garage, speeding through the paddock and the front tire starts to smoke from rubbing on the fender. Swapped tires (thank goodness for air jacks and centerlocks), and hurried out to catch up with the pace lap. Caught up with the pack in the last turn before the green without a second to spare. The green drops, we take off, and after all my hurrying and cursing to make the start the leader pulls all of us in after one turn because of rain. We ended up doing the practice starts the next morning. My first real race experience, I figure. I was gridded last because I didn’t do any hot laps in the prior practice group. We get the first green and go around a couple of turns bumper to bumper. I’m barreling out of a quick downhill, off camber turn that is one of the trickier ones of the track. I look up and see a huge cloud of smoke and a dozen cars slamming on the brakes and some driving off track to avoid the stackup. HARD BRAKE! On the inside of the next turn one car is turned around with damage in the weeds as is another on the outside. I’m thinking to myself, “What the hell have I gotten myself into? If it’s like this during *practice* what will the actual race be like?”

I think I did okay during the races. George is being way too nice, probably out of some misguided feelings of obligation because we co-drove. I could turn some good laps for a third or half of the races, but then I’d make errors, visit the weeds, and give up any position I had. Its going to take a few more races to put it all together and do one clean race. We started in 11th out of 17 for the enduro, with me starting the first half. I gained one spot after six laps, then spun and dropped us to last I think. George drove his *** off to get us up to 7th.

I had a great time and am scheming to find a way to make it to the Heartland race in July.

Here are some Rennlister's cars I took pics of:

Old 05-31-2005, 04:46 PM
kev
Darth Cup
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by George A
Danny, per you request, here are the videos:

Start
Finish

George
Ah, been waiting since Sunday for those. I didn't realize the car got THAT lose out of Tombstone on the last lap. Seeing that, I'm surprised I saved it.

See how much you lift your front right tire in Rattlesnake in image 0414? Did you hit the curb or are you on the gas that hard?
Old 05-31-2005, 05:26 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It was a great weekend even with the deluge on Sat. Kevin & George did an awesome job & are now "official". It's great having more of your buddies "in the fold"!

Glen was smokin' as usual & helped me a bunch this weekend with the new car. We had David Taylor from Motorsport Services fly in & install AIM units in David Baker's, Mike Hardage's & my car so we were all fiddlin' with those all weekend. Lots of info there, I just have to figure how to work the damn thing, but it was very helpful comparing all our data over the weekend.

Some very good racing in the red run group to watch also. I was especially impressed with some of the F & G times. Doug Molny & those guys were moving those little cars around the track!

Last edited by JW in Texas; 05-31-2005 at 08:13 PM.
Old 05-31-2005, 07:35 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kev
Ah, been waiting since Sunday for those. I didn't realize the car got THAT lose out of Tombstone on the last lap. Seeing that, I'm surprised I saved it.

See how much you lift your front right tire in Rattlesnake in image 0414? Did you hit the curb or are you on the gas that hard?
Yup, when I saw you do that on the last lap, I pushed a little too hard in Big Bend and almost lost it myself trying to catch you. What you did is exactly what I did in it when I spun it two weeks ago, I mean the same exact, except I went further to the left in the grass.

I changed the sway bars to full stiff both front and rear. They were both set in the middle positions for almost two years. I decided it was time for a change. Anyway, I think the front is too stiff. And no, there is no bump there.

BTW, can you email me your transponder number? Mylaps.com will not show me detail without it.

George

Last edited by George A; 05-31-2005 at 09:56 PM.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:56 PM
Michael-Dallas
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kev
Michael,

Thanks for giving me a hand loading up all my junk. Appreciate it.
Hey, no problem (although I did more watching than helping). I knew you were exhausted and wanted to head home. Thanks for being patient w/ my silly questions.

(And I didn't mean to jinx you w/ my comment about the passenger side-sill...)

Michael.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:10 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

How's this for a 993 trio?

George
Attached Images  
Old 06-01-2005, 11:26 AM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

George out-running two "C'" 993s. I love it! Too bad 993s aren't competitive in "D", right George
Old 06-01-2005, 11:39 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JW in Texas
George out-running two "C'" 993s. I love it! Too bad 993s aren't competitive in "D", right George
You forgot about all the RSA's in "C" and "D", well all except Buckley and he doesn't count because he is just in a league of his own.

George
Attached Images  
Old 06-01-2005, 06:18 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Yeah, your times were comparable to Watkins in my old RSA & that car is about as set-up against the rules as you can get in D. I think a good, sorted, well driven 993 is competitive in D & like I said before, I knew you would prove that
Old 06-01-2005, 06:27 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks for the great video's George!!! Looked like lots of fun! Great job indeed!!!
Lotsa squeeling there from the tires. What tires do you use?
Old 06-01-2005, 08:14 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DJF1
Thanks for the great video's George!!! Looked like lots of fun! Great job indeed!!!
Lotsa squeeling there from the tires. What tires do you use?
Thanks Danny. Those are Michelin Sport Cups, I'm starting to really like them. They do make a lot of noise but that's fine with me. I'm accustom to pure slicks and it's nice to know (by sound) when you start to push the tires for a change. Its funny how all the Hoosier guys taper off after a couple of laps but the Cups get better and better after each lap. The part I like the best is that if you overcook it in a corner, you don't need to slow down for the next one to get them down to temp.

Jay, Steve is going to be hard to beat in that car. I almost wish I would have driven my car in the enduro to see how I stacked up. Give him a little time in that car and he might be giving Buckley something to look at in his mirrors.

George

Last edited by George A; 06-01-2005 at 08:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Lots of Pics from PCA Maverick Region Race Event Today