Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long distance drive, bypasses, supercups, cc inserts....

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2005 | 02:07 PM
HK G36C
Rennlist Member

Default Long distance drive, bypasses, supercups, cc inserts....

I am going back to max flows, unless I can muffle the supercups more than cc inserts have. I took my first long distance trip yesterday [200 miles plus]. My GF will not ride in the car anymore. She was okay with short trips [less than 50miles]. I bought two sheets of glass and will see if this will muffle it further by rapping the inserts in them and packing it in. The baffles have about an inch of glass in them, already.

It was better with the windows and sunroof open, but with them closed it was too much for me. I am enrolling in a sign language course on Tuesday.

OT:

The best part of the day was when a couple in their fifties driving a boxster with her top down [not her top down, you guys] drove by and we noticed the lady plugging her ear. She was shaking her head at us. I guess we were not refined enough for her taste to be in a porsche that sounded like an old Nova I had in high school with glass packs. I could just hear hear saying, " John, I cannot believe they let anyone buy a porsche . . . what happened to those days when the help could only drive us . . . I am writing a letter to porsche requiring that a family background check be conducted at point of sale just like purchasing a firearm . . . they must be new money."

I guess at that point a drive-by was required.

After, the drive-by she continued," John we are selling this porsche . . . I do not want to be associated with porsche anymore . . . I told you we should have kept the CLK."

I was using the 2 ring version, but I cannot imagine 3 disk inserts would be any better.

Last edited by HK G36C; 05-29-2005 at 11:39 PM.
Old 05-29-2005 | 03:04 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Talking Super Cups

I had the 3rd generation on for about 3 weeks. I love the sound, really love it....but got to be a little much for me, and I knew I could not pass the dB chaek at Laguna Seca...so I sold them.

I found that the noise level was just right when I had my Bose Noise cancelling headphones on....the cops don't like people driving with headphones, even if they are only noise cancelling.

I went back to the RSRs...your significant other will like these mufflers...they are fairly quiet, until you put your foot to the floor, then all hell brakes loose...great sound.

I have had most of the mufflers out there on my car, B&B, RSR, Super Cups, Motorsound and now back to RSR. For me, I prefer the RSRs...although I do miss the Super Cups, read head turners, and incredible through tunnels!
Old 05-29-2005 | 03:31 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

With the cats on my supecups ( 1st gen) are not that bad...I cant imagine driving on public roads with the cats bypassed!
Maybe you should go back to your cats and give em another try, or like Martin said go to the RSR's. On my cabrio I have kept the RSR's with the cats on and for sure they sound very sweet, albeit quiet for some people. For me they are just right for street use. Also beware of the Maxflows, in the past it was heavily discussed here about the annoying resonance. I have heard them myself acouple of years ago and the resonance was really annoying
Old 05-29-2005 | 04:06 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

HK

Do you have the 2 or the 3 disk inserts installed? I just received mine, I bought the three disks and also the baffles to reduce further the sound. Your report is actually very disappointing as I was hoping to have found the end to my (and my ears') misery. Will see how it goes, thanks again.
Old 05-29-2005 | 04:42 PM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hk,

You are a disgrace!
Old 05-29-2005 | 04:46 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Monique
Hk,

You are a disgrace!
Yes, and your GF is right, you should have kept the CLK!!
Old 05-29-2005 | 11:41 PM
HK G36C
Rennlist Member

bypasses off, as it is the only way GF will ride with me.... Going down with a wrench in my hand...She is my co-pilot so she has to be happy and comfortable so...

Okay, I am breaking up with her.....How about just max flows and the bypass...help guys...there is got to be a way...
Old 05-29-2005 | 11:59 PM
HK G36C
Rennlist Member

they are two disk inserts, but I should say that the extra glass packing should help. That is my project tomorrow. I will wrap the inserts in glass and use the turn downs from fabspeed.
Old 05-30-2005 | 03:11 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have a cab and with the first generation Supercups. I run them without the inserts all the time. And my wife also doesn't care for them. It's my daily driver so for any trips we take together we take another car. For me, the sound of the Supercups is too good to pass up.

And KK, easy on the "couple in their fifties". Some of us resemble that age group
Old 05-30-2005 | 03:19 PM
HK G36C
Rennlist Member

Chuck:

The "couple in their fifties" was not a material element of the story. I guess the suppercups without the bypasses would be fine. But with bypasses they are so loud that you will exprience hearing loss.

I guess this is the excuse we all need when confronted with the question "did you not hear me?" No, honey, I did not hear you and if you take her for a ride or two she too can use the same excuse.

I know our resident M.D. whom is loved on this board has covered this issue the hearing loss that is......
Old 05-30-2005 | 07:22 PM
mlincoln
Addict
Rennlist Member

I was only pointing out at that time that the most common cause of acquired deafness is noise exposure. Deafness is a profound disability, for those who suffer from it. I have found that wives and girlfriends often have more wisdom than their men, as this board often richly demonstrates.

Mike Lincoln MD
Old 05-30-2005 | 07:39 PM
HK G36C
Rennlist Member

Mike:

I agree with you that wives and girlfriend tend to be our "sounding board" for our ideas. Oh, sorry honey, I was writing to Mike...I didn't hear you . . .yes dear, I will take the trash out, but it is not picked up today...

What would be do without our SOs, I guess we would go deaf and other terrible things would happen to us.
Old 05-30-2005 | 09:52 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mlincoln
wives and girlfriends often have more wisdom than their men
More wisdom, less fun. In my golden years I may be hurt and deaf but there will be a smile on my face. Life is short and meant to be enjoyed. Even at the detriment of our health at times. I would rather be bloodied in the arena than a spectator in the stands.
Old 05-30-2005 | 10:02 PM
HK G36C
Rennlist Member

Chuck: Please repeat, I cannot hear you. I have to agree at times you just have to get your hands dirty; albeit wearing gloves on the outside. I need earplugs. Good ones!!!
Old 05-31-2005 | 12:03 AM
Benton
Drifting

Dude, supercups with bypasses for the street? Just curious, why did you bother with the bypasses for a street car? Take the bypasses off and put back on the supercups!

Quick Reply: Long distance drive, bypasses, supercups, cc inserts....