Best pedal for heel/toe

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 07:11 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Best pedal for heel/toe

First of all, yes I searched both here and on the Racing/DE forum. And indeed, there is a question that has not been asked!! Is there anyone here that can share their thoughts on the best pedal for a small foot (woman's 6.5) for good heel/toe. It's for my daily driver that occassionally gets to play in DEs. Currently I cannot heel/toe because my foot just isn't big enough.
Thanks in advance!
Old 05-25-2005, 07:21 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

I like the Wings Engineering (Third Foot) pedal best, but they are not made any longer - just available used. I bought one for $50, but one on ebay just sold for $231:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...%3A1%3A1v_home

They're very adjustable and high quality.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:31 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I second that, they are adjustable for height too, unlike a lot of mostly cosmetic ones out there. I think Rennline had an adjustable pedal, though it was pricey if I recall correctly.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:32 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Adrienne,

Rennline sells these fully adjustable pedals (No affiliation). You can independently adjust the top and bottom part on all 3 dimensions (vertical, horizontal, and depth). You should be able to make this fit your foot size and driving style.

They will set you back $250 or so...

Hope this helps...
Attached Images     
Old 05-25-2005, 07:53 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

I like my Wings Pedal, and I've seen them going for $50 too. I can't heel-toe AT ALL without this thing. For $200+, I'd get the Rennline though, as it just looks nicer to me. Plus, the Wings results in a heavy pedal feel, since that whole thing slips over your existing pedal. Easy install, but I don't love the feel.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:48 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not sure with the Rennline and even the Wings pedals why there is a wide area at the bottom of the pedal. Since the accelerator hinges on the bottom in our cars, pressing on the bottom does not have much of an effect. On my Wings pedal I thought about cutting off the whole flare at the bottom since it really serves no purpose, except to make it heavier and get in the way.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:55 PM
soltino
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bigger Shoe??? (-%

tino
Old 05-26-2005, 12:30 AM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Rennline set (non-adjustable gas pedal) and am very happy with it. While I could heel/toe ok in the 993, the 964 was a bit different and just too much of a stretch. The Rennline set cured the problem.

Troy: while it's hinged at the bottom, the wide spot works well for a true heel/toe instead of a right side/left side. I find it easier to use than the side of the foot when I "miss" at initial brake application and have too much foot on the brake to be able to roll over to the gas pedal. Then it's easy to use my heel to get the throttle blip.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:35 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Another vote for the Wings pedal. It makes heel-and-toeing a breeze with its ability to change three different planes. I will say that the $231 paid for the Wings pedal on eBay is ridiculously high.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:49 AM
okindao
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another vote for the wing pedal, the multiple adjustment points allow for numerous combinations of placement and really enable me to heel and toe......I did not realize they are not made any more as i found the company in old editions of Panarama
Old 05-26-2005, 02:06 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 59 Likes on 23 Posts

Actually when i got my wings I almost crashed! LOL... Thet bulky bottom part was in my way when I braked... I kind of gave up the idea on pedals that the lower part is used for heel and toe and I found these pedals which have an extension on the top so the ball of my foot just leans easily against the gas pedal when braking to match the revs.
http://www.ultimatepedals.com/catalo...oducts_id=2739
Old 05-26-2005, 09:38 AM
BIG-BRO
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I checked out several 993's at previous DE events, and I went with the Rennline pedals. One woman in the club (very experienced driver and active in national PCA with several of her Porsches...) showed me what several 993 people have done to "adjust" height of accelerator. If the Rennline pedal cover is still too low for you - space it up with plywood. May sound "hokey", but instead of just screwing the pedal cover to the plastic pedal, install a piece of plywood (3/8" ? 1/2" ? whatever you need) between pedal and new metal cover. Trace it to shape of the pedal or cover, and of course you can paint it black so it doesn't look like plywood anymore......
Old 05-26-2005, 10:43 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Adrienne,

This is AJUSA's (Rennlist sponsor) aluminum pedal set. Not a great angle, but the pedal is wider at the top, and even more so if you buy the matching extension piece that bolts onto the accelerator pedal. Together any foot should be able to heel & toe.
http://www.ajusa.com/cgi-bin/pb/view...ca57ec69ccff5f

http://www.ajusa.com/cgi-bin/pb/view...ca57ec69ccff5f
Attached Images  
Old 05-26-2005, 10:47 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

Another option you might want to look at, you can check these ones made by a Rennlister.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...976020407&rd=1
I have them and they are excellent, for around $110. Sorry I am posting an Ebay link but I don't remember his RL user name.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:58 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

I don't understand how these flat non-adjustable pedals could possibly help with heel/toe. The problem with the stock setup is that the accelerator is simply too low, and these pedals wouldn't address that problem. By contrast, the Wings pedal is essentially a pedal plate that stands off a back frame by like 1", which solves the problem.

Quick Reply: Best pedal for heel/toe