Sponsored by:

CEL saga continues...

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2005, 07:52 PM
trojanman
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default CEL saga continues...

Well, after a complete check-up and four new O2 sensors my CEL came on again after about 10 miles.

Based on the fact that I've been to hades and back over the last 10 days or so since I purchased, I'm getting ready to throw in the towel. Truspeed has said they will "make it right", but I'm done with the platitudes and band-aid fixes. Their designated repair facility who replaced the steering rack didn't even get my steering wheel on straight (it's oriented to the right about 20 degrees)... I feel like they're trying to get my car's problems solved the cheapest way possible.

At this point, my plan is to give them two options... either take the car back and refund my money OR have the top end done at a shop of my choosing (hopefully Hergesheimer if I have my way). I love the car and it drives so strong and solid... I'm just done with all of this back and forth trying to avoid what in my mind is the inevitable.

Any advice? Thanks in advance...

Jeff
Old 05-22-2005, 08:19 PM
dhicks
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow...I understand your frustration...just dont give up, the car is worth it in the long run.
Old 05-22-2005, 09:29 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,060 Likes on 568 Posts

Your proposal sounds reasonable, given the error with the alignment. The steering wheel didn't come from the factory that way!

They are trying to fix the car with the least expense and that is okay as long as the car is fixed correctly. They should be able to minimize their expense, but they also have to "make it right".

Good luck.

Marv
Old 05-22-2005, 10:41 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Dont give up on them, especially if you really like the car otherwise. Its simple, have them fix it. You need to verify with Truespeed what exact code is being tripped.. Good luck!!
Old 05-22-2005, 11:12 PM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Jeff,

Sorry to hear about the CEL. Did you at anytime had a chance to ask the shop on the code... I think that's a good start. Good Luck.... stick to your guns.
Old 05-22-2005, 11:53 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

What kind of code are you getting when they check it out with a scanner??
Old 05-23-2005, 12:19 AM
Berkley
Burning Brakes

Default The right path

Jeff

I think you are on the right path......either have everything corrected at the shop of your choice OR they take the car back and void the sale......

The latter will not likely to be palatable to them, but you may consider another higher priced car they have for sale as a " even swap "......perhaps they can impute the sales tax to avoid another cash cost to you.....whatever you do, I would suggest a in person meeting with a confirming letter( via certified mail )to follow memoralizing whatever understanding you reach with the dealer.....

Quicker is better in this type mess.....Good Luck!!!!!
Old 05-23-2005, 12:35 AM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

gotta' agree w/ a few above..... i'd ask for an unwind deal.... & get yer money back in FULL. esp. if they won't even let you have the proper work done on the car @ the shop where ya had the PPI.

have to say..... you're a nice guy . don't even think i'd have half the patience you've shown.

time is money.... don't let this become a liability for ya.

you're supposed to be behind the wheel (an aligned straight one) havin' a good time.

trojanman all the best & please don't let this experience end it for ya. lot of no-issue 993's out there. (vb's bein' a badass fast one )

btw: thanks for sharing your experience, i'll avoid "truespeed".
Old 05-23-2005, 12:51 AM
SCMomentum
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very sorry to hear. Truspeed has a very good reputation. Lay it on the line for them. Just be honest and straight up....no room for quibbling. If they balk...get your money back. There will be other nice cars out there.

Truspeed will have to fix this car, one way or another. They cannot sell it like it is....no way, no how.

Please keep us posted.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:06 AM
drnd
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Was wondering if this should have been detected in the ppi? It would have saved you alot of time and headaches. Is there a test that would have detected this problem?
Old 05-23-2005, 01:17 AM
trojanman
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for all the responses and support... Berkley, my wife and I (she's an attorney) had already crafted a confirming letter before the second CEL, so we've modified it as such. Good advice and I appreciate it.

As for the PPI, many of you know better than I, but I must say I was given a pretty high level of assurance (at least verbally) that the "SAI won't be a problem". From what I've learned since, though, if all the codes are cleared and the car doesn't have any other apparent signs of carbon build-up it is nearly impossible to predict bad valve guides or clogged SAI ports.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:25 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What codes are being thrown?
Old 05-23-2005, 02:06 AM
trojanman
Three Wheelin'

I don't know the codes from the first CEL... the guy at the shop said it was two though; oxygen sensor (left side), and SAI.

The car hasn't been plugged in yet for the second CEL.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:08 AM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Let us know the specific code numbers and we can help diagnose.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:40 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"I don't know the codes from the first CEL... the guy at the shop said it was two though; oxygen sensor (left side), and SAI."

If your car has the SAI CEL fault code, then replacing the O2 sensors is most
likely a waste of money at this time. Your shop should be able to read the voltages
of the four O2 sensors via their OBDII scanner and determine their condition.
Yes, many fault codes result from poor/bad O2 sensors, but the majority of CEL
SAI faults on 993s result from clogged SAI air passages.

Check here ( www.systemsc.com/codes.htm ) for a listing on common OBDII codes and ODBII general info.

Quick Reply: CEL saga continues...