Sponsored by:

Pics of Latest Mods...Pre-Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2005, 02:29 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 175 Likes on 105 Posts

Jonathan, could you post a picture of the strut bar on the suspension towers?
I would also send that to Gert. If it is a problem with the bar Gert will for sure return it.
Old 05-22-2005, 02:42 AM
drmrfi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
sad to say, I went to install the strut bar today, and it doesnt fit. It is too long by about an 1/8 inch...(estimating). I guess Ben in Plano, TX and others were right in recommending the adjustable Cup brace instead. Although my car has never been in an accident, I put the brace up against another local 993 to see if it was just my car...didnt line up right on that one either. I am hopeful that Gert will allow me to exchange this one for a Cup brace since it doesnt fit. Bummer, I really liked the idea of the single piece...
I too have the same problem with Gt 2 replica brace I got a week ago.
Too long (about 1/6 - 1/4 of an inch or about 5 millimetres).
Thought that my car is bent, so kinda releaving to hear it could the brace also
Does anyone have factory measurements between the strut tower bolts?

Mika
Old 05-22-2005, 04:10 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sad to say, I went to install the strut bar today, and it doesnt fit. It is too long by about an 1/8 inch...(estimating). I guess Ben in Plano, TX and others were right in recommending the adjustable Cup brace instead. Although my car has never been in an accident, I put the brace up against another local 993 to see if it was just my car...didnt line up right on that one either. I am hopeful that Gert will allow me to exchange this one for a Cup brace since it doesnt fit. Bummer, I really liked the idea of the single piece...
Did you try unweighting the front end by jacking it up before installing the brace?
Old 05-22-2005, 05:45 AM
Cup-Sport
Instructor

sad to say, I went to install the strut bar today, and it doesnt fit. It is too long by about an 1/8 inch...(estimating).
Hello Jonathan,

did you have the front wheels stright on when you tried to install the strut brace?

If you would try to install our adjustable Cup-Sport strut brace with stright wheels and try to remove after turning the wheels to left or right - you wouldn`t be able to take it off, only with stright wheels...there will be a tension on the strut brace through the turned wheels...

If you`ll built in your strut brace by using tricks like to unweight the front end by jacking it up you should let check/adjust the complete chassis geometry (camber etc.) afterwards to make sure all is correct.

Much success!

Kind regards
Elke and Peter
Old 05-22-2005, 10:15 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

First of all, I love this place....

Second, Gert at Carnewal continues his tradition of excellence customer service and a genuine desire to help...

"Hi Jonathan,

I just tried to install the strut bar myself and it is indeed a bit too long for a straight “bolt-on”.

The reason is that the studs of the spring top are a bit angled inwards .

I could however install the bar on my 993 by removing the 4 bolts of the spring top on the right side and then raised the car until the strut mount dropped down to the point where the top of the studs was equal with the top of the strut tower.

Then I installed the GT2 bar, dropped the car and the studs came through the holes of the bar..."

He went on to offer to exchange for a Cup bar if I preferred. However, I would rather try to make the 1-piece GT2 bar work, so I am going to try the method outlined above!

Thanks Gert...!
Old 05-22-2005, 02:14 PM
drmrfi
Instructor

Sh*t! Wish I had this info a bit earlier
I already managed to destroy the bar by filing it to fit

Well, itīs only money

(Thatīs my smilies allocation for a day used in one post )

Mika

Quick Reply: Pics of Latest Mods...Pre-Install