Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are Smog Results a Proxy for SAI Health?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 03:46 PM
dhicks
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just reading this thread for first time and now I am confused a little....I thought from reading other threads that if I went for an emission test in a car that had CEL issues it would fail even if it had been rest to show clear because there were other registers that would show up, or something like that??? I have an Actron reader (cant remember which one it is but its the one that gives code and what the code means - $150). I read the code on saturday, cleared it and then we went for a long fast drive on Sunday with the other local Rennlisters...drove to work this morning, still no CEL....QUESTION...if I were to go for an E test today with a warmed up car and no CEL showing will I pass???? Thanks for your insightful answers
Old 05-23-2005, 10:51 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

Besides a functioning CEL, i.e. "on" & then "off" @ engine running, AND no continuous
CEL, the readiness states MUST have completed. This indicates that the OBDII system
has successfully completed its' self-test of the emission system. ALL OBDII cars must
complete the readiness states before an emission test is begun.

Anytime the DME ECU is reset, e.g. the reset of a CEL, all the readiness states are
reset and the car MUST be driven under various load conditions for varying times
to again set the readiness states. Some of the better OBDII scanners will provide
the OBDII readiness info.

So, even though no CEL, the car MAY not pass the emission test
because of incomplete readiness states. The OBDII system was
designed to prevent a problematic emissions vehicle, e.g. frequent
CELs, from having the CEL reset and a quick "run" to the test station.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:00 AM
dhicks
Drifting

Thanks Loren......see my thread started with "emission in MD".....it looks as though I can at least try and see if I get through...if not then hey need to do some work, but I believe the give a deferral for a couple of months for you to do the work.
Old 05-24-2005, 10:38 AM
ecobb993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before heading to the emissions station, you might try running this routine which I have used numerous times to reset those readiness switches:

http://www.srlx.com/p-car/obdii_readiness.pdf
Old 05-24-2005, 11:15 AM
dhicks
Drifting

Thank you very much....I assume I reset CEL, then do this cycle and drive straight to the emission test facility? Thanks again.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:17 AM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Someone, not too long ago, timed it just right so that the reset code, reset readiness ocurred just prior to pulling into the smog station. I would think that is a crap shoot but if you can pull it off, you buy yourself another two years.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:45 AM
ecobb993
Racer

dhicks,

Yep, again, that's the way it has worked for me, numberous times. I'm in Georgia, so can't be sure what the emissions test sequence is in MD though.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:58 AM
dhicks
Drifting

Am I correct in thinking though that the SAI system failure is only triggered at cold start up, even though the CEL comes on during driving.......so if I clear codes, then go through driving cycle, go to emission test and keep the car hot by running...it may pass?
Old 05-24-2005, 12:01 PM
rainmn
Instructor

Funny, here in NJ, I've taken many OBDII-equipped cars through inspection, and not once has one of them been plugged into a scanner.
Of course, my 993 is a '95, so it doesn't much matter in that case. It did, however, pass smog with flying colors a few months ago.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:39 PM
dhicks
Drifting

I dont know for definite but I was told the 95 was pre OBDII????
Old 05-24-2005, 01:58 PM
rainmn
Instructor

Originally Posted by dhicks
I dont know for definite but I was told the 95 was pre OBDII????
It is...I was referring to other cars I've owned in my post above. Even my 993 was OBDII, I don't think they would have plugged it in, based on past experience.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:08 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Can only speak for CT. Had state inspection yesterday and all they cared about was plugging into the OBDll and getting a reading to pass or fail. I received no specific results how well the car did with emissions, just that it passed. FWIW, the inspector said I would get the same reading if car was cold or warm. I had it warm and idling while in queue for the inspection. Guess when engine warm relates to better readings for cars prior to 1996/OBDll.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:11 PM
dhicks
Drifting

Thanks, if thats all they do they maybe I will pass and I can forget all about the CEL for a while.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:41 PM
ecobb993
Racer

Again, I'm not familiar with rules in your state, but can only tell you, based on my experience in GA that with my '96 the inspection really only amounts to their reading the error codes (hopfully none) and to check that the readiness states have been reset.

As already stated, the readiness flags are flashed on when the error codes are reset. The flags will not reset until each drive cycle has been run (per the pdf I posted earlier). This is uncle sam's way of keeping evil people from simply resetting the error codes just prior to an inspection, rather than fixing emissions related mechanical/electrical problems.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:13 PM
dhicks
Drifting

I intend to reset the CEL on Friday evening and on Saturday morning will drive through the cycle and then go straight to the emission center....hopefully to pass...wish me luck!!!

Quick Reply: Are Smog Results a Proxy for SAI Health?