Sponsored by:

crack-crack-crack

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 05:06 PM
jlb_94611
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crack-crack-crack

I heard that noise .. sounded just like my car was getting shot repetitively by a b-b gun after a ride over some bumpy back roads when I came to a stop at traffic light. I was near a school and pulled over+jumped out as I swore I had been shot. A few weeks later I hear it again .. no school this time, but bumpy mountainous roads. Twice now in 2-3months. Got new bilsteins and H+Rs from VB.

Really sounds like its coming from the back window. I press my finger on the rear window seal and it feels like it gives a little.. not sure what's underneath.

The rear window brake light doesn't work and I believe the switch or at least wiring runs through the window. Initially I thought that perhaps the PO's window tinter might have cut something during that installation. Now I wonder if there is some body flex that is occurring that's impacting the rear window and then the brake light connection.

Anybody else heard this before? Think there is any connection to the rear window brake?

thanks
Old 05-18-2005, 05:10 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Hmmm ... some of the widebody cars have been known to unexpectedly shatter their rear windows, possibly related to the wiring for the brake light ... hopefully that's not a warning sign.

Vic
95 C4
Old 05-18-2005, 05:15 PM
993Maineiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 113 Posts

What year is your car? The earlier 94-95 models did have some problems with the windows coming out-I think it was secondary to the suspension set-up. Do a search, I'm sure this has been brought up before.

Al
Old 05-18-2005, 05:19 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Might be the window creak - flexing against the body. Search here for "Pedro's" Ice Wax, pick up a spray can from REI (or a bike shop), & apply it. That may solve your problem for a while until it's reapplication time.

Check for delamination of the glass. look at the edges for what will look like white areas indicating the window is splitting. Have a Porsche dealer take a look if you find anything.

BTW, spontaneous front and/or rear glass shattering was not limited to WB cars.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:21 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by jlb_94611
I heard that noise .. sounded just like my car was getting shot repetitively by a b-b gun after a ride over some bumpy back roads when I came to a stop at traffic light. I was near a school and pulled over+jumped out as I swore I had been shot. A few weeks later I hear it again .. no school this time, but bumpy mountainous roads. Twice now in 2-3months. Got new bilsteins and H+Rs from VB.

Really sounds like its coming from the back window. I press my finger on the rear window seal and it feels like it gives a little.. not sure what's underneath.

The rear window brake light doesn't work and I believe the switch or at least wiring runs through the window. Initially I thought that perhaps the PO's window tinter might have cut something during that installation. Now I wonder if there is some body flex that is occurring that's impacting the rear window and then the brake light connection.

Anybody else heard this before? Think there is any connection to the rear window brake?

thanks
Do a search on front and rear window noise and/or creaking. The noise you describe is a common squawk and easily solved with the foam rope and Pedros. A search will explain this thoroughly. Both front and rear windows can make this noise - with some it's the front and some the rear. My rear window was always the culprit.

The 'seal' you describe is just a rubber trim piece to hide the mating area where the window meets the body. It snaps into a very delicate and easily broken plastic channel that is part of the rear window.

The inoperative third brake light is not related to the window creaking. As you say, perhaps the tint installer disturbed something. The outside cover of the third brake light snaps off (is attached with spring clips) and the conections are underneath - perhaps the installer had this off and just did not re-make the connections?

Quick Reply: crack-crack-crack