Sponsored by:

4 Days, 675 miles and guess what?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 02:10 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray Calvo
Gotta agree with Shawn;. these cars like to RUN.

Give it several 1-hour+ blasts on back roads with plenty of Techron gas fill-up treatments. And stop driving it daily; I feel 2+ daily complete engine heatup/cooldown cycles aggravate this CEL/carbon buildup situation. I might just be old-fashioned, but have 87K+ miles on my '95 and engine is dry as a bone and I get 3Kmiles/qt of oil. No problems passing PA emission checks.
i dont follow this... if these cars like to RUN, why wouldnt you want to drive it daily?
Old 05-19-2005, 02:21 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
i dont follow this... if these cars like to RUN, why wouldnt you want to drive it daily?
I interpreted "daily" as daily commuting in stop and go traffic and short trips where the engine doesn't get to fully warm up. I would think daily driving in high rpm situations w/o much traffic and stop-n-go would be the best case scenario, but that is not an easy task w/ most of us living in the bigger cities.

Last edited by Arrwin; 05-19-2005 at 02:36 PM.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:28 PM
EThec
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's nothing wrong with 2 heat/cool cycles daily. Why does it matter how many heat/cool cycles happen in a day? I drive mine 4 or more days a week and that means 2 cycles at least each day. I feel it's important to take it to redline a couple times every time it's warmed up to blow it out a bit. Use the damn car and drive it hard. Use from frickin' techron and ENJOY IT! ........i never understood the philosophy of owning something so fun to drive and only driving it once a week. Wht buy the damn thing in the first place. Go get a fine peice of art and hang it on your wall instead if that's your philosophy.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:32 PM
EThec
Racer

Arrwin,
Good point. But a little stop and go isn't going to kill the car. Fortunately my commute is on the freeway typically with some room to run a little. Unfortunately I get caught in it from time to time. That doesn't mean I'm going to stop driving it.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:46 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by trojanman
I had 85 miles since purchase when mine went CEL... in the shop now (on the dealer's nickel) trying to get it right. It's definitely SAI and the prior owner ( I learned after the fact) tried a lot of things (approx. $1k worth) to rectify with no success. I think I'm looking at a top end. Big time bummer.
If Truspeed is gonna step up and pay for a top-end rebuild, I would be very happy if I were you, especially if Hergesheimers is gonna do the work. They did a similar thing for Agro when he bought his car. https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...light=truspeed Think of it this way, you will know that your top-end is solid and the bottom end of these cars are supposed to be very robust. I would be very impressed if they stepped up again.

Good luck.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:41 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a very good DIY article on this I believe on Robin's site. I can understand not wanting to deal with this as soon as you get the car, but it's becoming less of a big deal, if SAI ports are the only cause of the CEL. I live in a horrible traffic area and had to take the 993 to work yesterday to drop it off at a shop for the clear-bra install. I still managed to redline it every chance I got. I don't care about gas mileage. I care about smiles per miles and beating the hell out of my car. I have found on all three of my 911's that the harder I drove them, the better they got.
Old 05-19-2005, 05:42 PM
trojanman
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Truspeed took her to John DeBonis Imports for all of my work (steering rack, CEL diagnosis and fix)... ever heard of him? Truspeed says he's "great".
Old 05-19-2005, 06:02 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by trojanman
Truspeed took her to John DeBonis Imports for all of my work (steering rack, CEL diagnosis and fix)... ever heard of him? Truspeed says he's "great".
I've not heard of that shop, perhaps others have. When Truspeed says they will "fix" the CEL problem, does that mean a chemical flush or a top-end rebuild? A chemical flush will clean out the SAI passages. If your valve guides are worn, you will need a top-end rebuild. Do you know how much, if any, oil you burned in the time you have had the car? This is the primary indicator of worn valve guides.

If they are gonna pay to do top-end work, make sure you find out which machine shop they are gonna use to redo the valve guides and find out from that machine shop what type of guide materials they are gonna use. OEM material is unacceptable as a replacement. Check some of Adrienne's threads as she recently got top-end work done or search through some of Steve Weiner's threads as he is the guru. FWIW, I believe Truspeed paid for top-end work for Agro.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:14 PM
trojanman
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Father, you have a PM.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:45 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Arrwin
I interpreted "daily" as daily commuting in stop and go traffic and short trips where the engine doesn't get to fully warm up. I would think daily driving in high rpm situations w/o much traffic and stop-n-go would be the best case scenario, but that is not an easy task w/ most of us living in the bigger cities.
ok...yep, got it.

i live in dallas...the land of big highways and spread out suburbs/cities... my car gets to stretch its legs for at least 30min everytime I start it...
Old 05-19-2005, 06:46 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have not experience CEL - well at least yet. I use Techron every 2K miles. I normally drive my car at least 30 minutes for any trip, and oil thermo is open. I plan switch off to BG as this chemicals may provide bit different cleaning action.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:49 PM
dhicks
Drifting

What is Techron...I thought it was something in gas from one of the major oil companies...do I understand there is an addative called techron?????
Old 05-19-2005, 06:53 PM
dhicks
Drifting

OK just went and looked it up via google....I cant see that this will do anything for the SAI....????
Old 05-19-2005, 06:55 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by dhicks
What is Techron...I thought it was something in gas from one of the major oil companies...do I understand there is an addative called techron?????
A Chevron product available at your local auto parts store and recommended to be mixed into the gas tank before an oil change. Running the car hard (ie. drivers ed events) can help with Techron's cleaning qualities.

More threads in the archives on this subject than you can shake a stick at.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:04 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
ok...yep, got it.

i live in dallas...the land of big highways and spread out suburbs/cities... my car gets to stretch its legs for at least 30min everytime I start it...
Haha...that's the complete opposite of what I have here. Haha.

I know the temp is a factor as well...how hot does it get there (extremes)? What weight oil do you use?

Originally Posted by mo
I have not experience CEL - well at least yet. I use Techron every 2K miles. I normally drive my car at least 30 minutes for any trip, and oil thermo is open. I plan switch off to BG as this chemicals may provide bit different cleaning action.
I thought Techron should only be used a tank before an oil change so that during the oil change, all the contaminants will be drained, unless you change your oil ever 2k miles(?).

Is it beneficial to use Techron more often, rather than just before oil changes or will is there no benefits since the contaminants are still floating around in the system?

Quick Reply: 4 Days, 675 miles and guess what?