Sponsored by:

4 Days, 675 miles and guess what?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 05:02 PM
Randy M '96 Silver 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine was for the SAI CEL. The engine had major Carbon buildup. It has been flushed and I have about 13K miles with no CEL. Before the flush it was about every 200 - 300 miles

Good luck. I hope it is something easy.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:03 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

An Italian tune up will not correct the carbon buildup issue, if that is what the error is.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:09 PM
96C4S
Burning Brakes

So far it has corrected mine for now 3000 miles only time will tell ive learned not to baby the car. 3500rpm plus at all times.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:38 AM
trojanman
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had 85 miles since purchase when mine went CEL... in the shop now (on the dealer's nickel) trying to get it right. It's definitely SAI and the prior owner ( I learned after the fact) tried a lot of things (approx. $1k worth) to rectify with no success. I think I'm looking at a top end. Big time bummer.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:46 AM
Schnell 911
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Stayed tuned....

I will be getting my car back from detail tommorow evening. It goes up on jacks for diagnosis of CEL, short shift install and I will be hardwiring in my Valentine1. I will post the diagnostic trouble code and share any information I can gather, or I will asking for advise here! Thanks all for the responses in which I value.
Old 05-19-2005, 04:11 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Dannen,

Sorry to hear of your CEL problems with your new baby. Be sure to let me know when you're on Kauai next so we can get together for P-talk.

You will love the short shifter improvement.

Good luck!!
Old 05-19-2005, 04:44 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by 993944S2
I hate to say this but I would suspect that anyone who is selling a 96-98 993, and knows about the cel issue, will disconnect their battery for a few hours before the show the car. (Prior to sale.) I'm certainly not saying this is the moral thing to do. If the seller is knowledgeable about these cars, and the car's CEL is on, this is an easy way to avoid the issue. The only way to check if the problem exists is to have a dealer check all the codes.
We need to educate Porsche dealers, independent mechanics and potential owners to check the readiness codes during a PPI. It might not catch all SAI problems but it will definitely help.

Originally Posted by 993944S2
My CEL light is on and I know it is for the SAI. The car runs beautifully. I don't want to spend the 3-5K to fix it. I have till September to make a decision.
If your problem is more than a bad check valve then there is an electronic fix if you don't want/can't fix the real problem (valve guides).
Old 05-19-2005, 12:39 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There has also been a thread within the last year about a lower cost way to clear the ports. I'll see if I can find it to save you the trouble of slogging through a million SAI port threads trying to find it.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:05 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fbfisher
There has also been a thread within the last year about a lower cost way to clear the ports. I'll see if I can find it to save you the trouble of slogging through a million SAI port threads trying to find it.
Has anyone read the last Excellence (June 2005)? On pgs. 52-56, the CEL problem is discussed and another method of clearing the passages was mentioned by John Williamson of Otto's. The process he uses is such: "He makes up some reservoirs by using old fuel-filter housings with new hoses attached to the bottoms, Then he removes the air-injection pump connection to the cam housing and connects his modified reservoir."

"He fills the reservoirs with BG Products, Inc. Induction System Cleaner (part #221) and leaves the reservoirs hooked up overnight. The next day, he reconnects the air-injection pump and drives the car. He says that after resetting the fault codes on teh OBDII system, the Check Engine line goes out and the car will pass a smog check".

He also goes on saying that he is offering the entire kit for $150.

Anyone ever use this method of heard of it? This is the first i've heard of it, but it seems like if you are only concerned about passing smog this will work.

Just an FYI.....

Last edited by Arrwin; 05-19-2005 at 01:36 PM.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:27 PM
dhicks
Drifting

I am interested in this.....any more info.....I will buy an excellence this w/e to inverstiagte further
Old 05-19-2005, 01:28 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Here it is: https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...21&postcount=1
Old 05-19-2005, 01:29 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

so far no issues with this on my car... that I know of...

2nd owner, it has about 30k miles on it now... sorry to hear about your troubles...
Old 05-19-2005, 01:41 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

ITS CALLED AN ITALIAN TUNE UP
Gotta agree with Shawn;. these cars like to RUN.

Give it several 1-hour+ blasts on back roads with plenty of Techron gas fill-up treatments. And stop driving it daily; I feel 2+ daily complete engine heatup/cooldown cycles aggravate this CEL/carbon buildup situation. I might just be old-fashioned, but have 87K+ miles on my '95 and engine is dry as a bone and I get 3Kmiles/qt of oil. No problems passing PA emission checks.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:56 PM
trojanman
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My car had what I strongly believe was a modified version of Otto's fix done... cost the prior owner over $1k and didn't solve the problem.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:58 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray Calvo
Gotta agree with Shawn;. these cars like to RUN.

Give it several 1-hour+ blasts on back roads with plenty of Techron gas fill-up treatments. And stop driving it daily; I feel 2+ daily complete engine heatup/cooldown cycles aggravate this CEL/carbon buildup situation. I might just be old-fashioned, but have 87K+ miles on my '95 and engine is dry as a bone and I get 3Kmiles/qt of oil. No problems passing PA emission checks.
I hope this is true. I usually only drive on the weekends and try to avoid the short trips, although often hard since i'm in NYC and everything is conveniently close. Also try to go out to LI as much as I can where there's less traffic and stoplights. I try to keep the RPMs high (4-5k) on the highway to avoid lugging. Right before an oil change i'll put in some Techron.

Hopefully all this will contribute in alleviating the carbon build-up and I will never see the CEL {{knock on wood}}.

Quick Reply: 4 Days, 675 miles and guess what?