Sponsored by:

drilled airbox

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 10:51 AM
Midnight Rider
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drilled airbox

Hello Gentlemen- will drilling holes in the airbox in my 996 give me the same sound results as in my 993? AND, will it not be detrimental to the car(as it was not detrimental to my 993) Thanks, I figured this would be the right board as I dont think the 996 guys have ever heard of this. cheers.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:01 AM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

From doing a search on the 996 board. Looks like your OEM box already has holes in it.......

Originally Posted by Todd @ EVO
The OEM airbox is not restrictive b/c of the air filter itself. The restriction is from the design on the airbox in the way the air flows into the MAF area and after the MAF where the resonance chamber is. If you look at the internals of the airbox, the air must make over a 100 degree turn to flow into the MAF tube. It also must flow through a square shaped airbox and flat filter before it makes this turn. In addition if you look at the air filter, you will notice that the dirtiest part of the filter is right in front of the MAF tube. This is also where the OEM airbox has 20 0r so Little holes drilled in the bottom of the box. If this is the dirtiest part of the filter and where the air path is in line with the MAF tube, then a good portion of air is being sucked through these small holes.

I would encourage you to disassemble your OEM airbox and take a long look at its design. I think that after you do you will see more clearly why our High Flow intake system makes as much power as it does. Hope this helps.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:18 PM
Midnight Rider
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Keith. I will pull it out and get a good look at it. Further, it looks like they do an "orange cap" mod, which does away with one of the "muffler chambers" within the airbox itself. This appears to be as common a mod on the 996 as drilling the box on the 993 is.

Last edited by Midnight Rider; 05-17-2005 at 03:02 PM.

Quick Reply: drilled airbox