Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Varioram conversion...how complicated and expensive?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 02:55 PM
Davies
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Steve. That's good to know. I guess the only other question I have then, is why is everyone so dismissive of a +/-12HP gain that Porsche obviously spent many years and $$$ researching and testing?
Old 05-17-2005, 03:03 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

I don't think people are dismissive at all. I think there are a couple of points here to consider. One, the variance between 993s due to build tolerances and varability of cam timing (see Steve W.'s comment above) could add up to 12hp probably. Two, seat-of-the pants, many have commented that the difference between pre-vario and post-vario is not that big (usually from an owner of a 95). Three, chip and lwf are relatively cheap mods, especially as the lwf upgrade can be viewed as a long-term maintenance item. All things being equal, I'd rather have the vario and the +12 hp (which I do) but if you have a 95 already, there seem to be better ways to spend your money.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:19 PM
Davies
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Father of 3
I'd rather have the vario and the +12 hp (which I do) but if you have a 95 already, there seem to be better ways to spend your money.
Thanks! Sounds reasonable to me. It does seem that a varioram conversion on a non-vario car might be expensive. (Especially bearing in mind that a simple wash and wax adds at least 12 HP to a 993 - particularly when it's sunny..)
Old 05-17-2005, 04:04 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Matt:

Once again, Father of 3 is right.

Indeed, Porsche spent a LOT of money designing and maufacturing the Varioram intake system, but thats not the only reason why those motors made more HP than the non V-ram ones. The V-ram versions had larger intake valves, as well.

The V-ram conversion is really a cost-to-benefit exercise and if one has the money, its very nice to have the additional low & mid-range torque,......

My feelings, based on a lot of engine dyno time and experience, is that there are better things to spend money on that deliver a bigger overall gain in performance. Thats only my opinion so it should be factored as such. We've dyno'ed a bunch of 3.6 & 3.8 motors, both with and without V-ram and the differences are nil above 5000. Peak power figures were identical (on the same engine), only the torque was improved from 2000 to 5000 by 10-12 lbs-ft.

The bottom line is that its all about one's budget so if one can afford it, the V-ram is nice especially when one uses the larger intake valves found in the '96'-'98 motors.
Old 05-17-2005, 04:06 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Matt Davies
Thanks! Sounds reasonable to me. It does seem that a varioram conversion on a non-vario car might be expensive. (Especially bearing in mind that a simple wash and wax adds at least 12 HP to a 993 - particularly when it's sunny..)
revving the engine at a light next to to a Ferrari adds another 10 hp .
Old 05-17-2005, 04:49 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems

Once again, Father of 3 is right.
Which only means I read Rennlist way too much and am good at parroting what others (like Steve ) have said in the past. Good thing we still have some experts on this board.
Old 05-17-2005, 04:51 PM
Davies
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
My feelings, based on a lot of engine dyno time and experience, is that there are better things to spend money on that deliver a bigger overall gain in performance.
Yeah. I'm happy that my '96 has varioram. Makes for a nice seat of the pants experience in mid-range around town etc... But I concur that if I had a '95, I'd be looking at some less complex ways of gaining HP than adding the VR. (Over and above a wash and a wax, that is...)
Old 05-17-2005, 06:22 PM
flatair
Racer

I'm still waiting to hear what RS cams & intakes will do for a 3.6
Old 05-17-2005, 10:16 PM
Will
Addict
Rennlist Member

The previous owner of my '95 had collected a nice used Varioram manifold and numerous pieces and parts to do the conversion, and I've been planning to get to it, but it's been well over a year and I'm realizing that I'm not moving in that direction. The car is too much fun as it is! If anyone is interested in buying this stuff, PM me.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:39 PM
Gelatomonster
Instructor

Father of 3
Agree with you. Thank you Steve for sharing your wisdom.

Quick Reply: Varioram conversion...how complicated and expensive?