Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Carnewal GT2 replica or Cup strut tower brace?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 12:16 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Carnewal GT2 replica or Cup strut tower brace?

Planning to purchase some goodies this weekend, and a strut tower brace is on my list...

Interested in hearing feedback from anyone that has either of these two options that Gert at Carnewal sells.... OR any other strut tower brace satisfied customers...

thanks!
Old 05-08-2005, 12:47 AM
aof
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got GT2 from Gert. Easy install. Fits under the carpet, no mods needed. I chose the GT2 based on recommendations from this board- maybe structurally stronger than alternatives (one piece).

I can't honestly say it made a difference performance wise, (street use) but squeeks and minor rattles disappeared.
Old 05-08-2005, 04:57 AM
Typhoon
Track Day

My car came with the Cup Strut brace when I got it. Fits under the carpet too (just), but I am thinking of cutting holes for it as its a shame to keep that shiny thing covered up! Its adjustable but I haven't touched it yet
Old 05-08-2005, 05:08 AM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Typhoon
My car came with the Cup Strut brace when I got it. Fits under the carpet too (just), but I am thinking of cutting holes for it as its a shame to keep that shiny thing covered up! Its adjustable but I haven't touched it yet
I have the Cup brace (thanks Max911, that's the one right?) and it is great. We cut the carpet for exactly that reason. Too nice to hide. Makes a nice difference in handling too.
Old 05-08-2005, 06:16 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

the GT2 is the best choice.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:17 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by DJF1
the GT2 is the best choice.
why?.... thanks
Old 05-08-2005, 09:40 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

Assuming the Carneval reproduction is absolutely faithful to the original, it would be a far better choice.
Old 05-08-2005, 10:43 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Robert Linton
Assuming the Carneval reproduction is absolutely faithful to the original, it would be a far better choice.
yeah thats what i am worried about...would be no question if it was the original...but since its a replica, i was leaning toward oem... robert do you still sell the cf unit you were making?
Old 05-08-2005, 01:03 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
why?.... thanks
Like Robert said since its a one piece design its better by definition. When you install the other ones you have to torque both sides, hopefully equal amount of torque... The GT2 is a no brainer to install , light, strong and you dont have to deal with potential torque issues.
A couple of years ago Gert came accross a supply of the real thing. As you can imagine they flew off the self and when I contact him to get one it was too late for me. He told me back then that because there was no more Porsche supply on this item he would make a replica faithfull to the original. Given Gert's ethic as a businessman I have no doubts about the quality of the product.
Old 05-08-2005, 01:06 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by DJF1
Like Robert said since its a one piece design its better by definition. When you install the other ones you have to torque both sides, hopefully equal amount of torque... The GT2 is a no brainer to install , light, strong and you dont have to deal with potential torque issues.
A couple of years ago Gert came accross a supply of the real thing. As you can imagine they flew off the self and when I contact him to get one it was too late for me. He told me back then that because there was no more Porsche supply on this item he would make a replica faithfull to the original. Given Gert's ethic as a businessman I have no doubts about the quality of the product.
so you have the replica and it is high quality?... i have heard wonderful things about Gert, but have only purchased a couple things from him previously, so i dont know him well enough to ascertain whether he would have had the engineering knowledge/capabilities to produce an EXACT replica of the Gt2 brace...

i do like the idea of one piece
Old 05-08-2005, 07:16 PM
Ben in Plano, TX
Pro

Jonathan -

I'm no expert but I recommend the Cup brace. It's good enough for Cup cars and fitment is a snap because of the adjustability on each end. I would hate to be in there with the GT2 (real or clone) and find that the bolt holes were off by a mm.

Ben
Old 05-08-2005, 07:37 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Ben in Plano, TX
Jonathan -

I'm no expert but I recommend the Cup brace. It's good enough for Cup cars and fitment is a snap because of the adjustability on each end. I would hate to be in there with the GT2 (real or clone) and find that the bolt holes were off by a mm.

Ben
This is an interesting point that i had not considered...

Danny, since you have the Gt2 replica, can you comment on the install (?)

By the way, I am adding this item to bring a little more business to Gert on a larger order, hopefully reduce a little squeaking/creaking, and maybe add some rigidity... I dont track my car so probably would be just fine with either one...
Old 05-08-2005, 10:53 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I am laughing out loud here when I see this. The GT2 brace is so damn simple that making a replica would be kids play for any decent fabrication shop. Which is better, who the hell knows? I certainly haven't done any tests to compare the two but I guarantee Porsche did or they wouldn't have bothered with the one piece brace on the GT2. Either one will help but it doesn't make that much of a difference if don't drive fairly hard.

The install is a whole whooping 4 bolts on either bar. Takes longer to button up the carpet in the trunk than it does to do the install.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:00 PM
Ben in Plano, TX
Pro

Greg -

Perhaps my experience is out of the ordinary but I've found that nothing fits 'perfectly' on these cars. I have installed several different suspensions and done a lot of DIY work on my car. For someone who doesn't need max stiffness the Cup car brace is a good choice - will fit even previously 'bent' vehicles (like mine) without too much cursing.

That's all I was trying to say.

Ben
Old 05-08-2005, 11:06 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Ben,
I understand what you are saying but unless your car had a serious issue the GT2 bar has slotted places where the bolt goes through. You may have 5mm of play to account for any variances.

Quick Reply: Carnewal GT2 replica or Cup strut tower brace?