Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carnewal GT2 replica or Cup strut tower brace?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 11:08 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Fishman
I am laughing out loud here when I see this. The GT2 brace is so damn simple that making a replica would be kids play for any decent fabrication shop. Which is better, who the hell knows? I certainly haven't done any tests to compare the two but I guarantee Porsche did or they wouldn't have bothered with the one piece brace on the GT2. Either one will help but it doesn't make that much of a difference if don't drive fairly hard.

The install is a whole whooping 4 bolts on either bar. Takes longer to button up the carpet in the trunk than it does to do the install.
well i think its much simpler for you than the rest of the Rennlist community, because a simple search shows lots of threads on this topic, with lots of very informed track drivers making arguments in both directions...

but you are right that both are probably overkill for me and would work great on the street...
Old 05-08-2005, 11:16 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
because a simple search shows lots of threads on this topic, with lots of very informed track drivers making arguments in both directions...

The reason it is simple is when mechanics and engineers that have worked on 993s for longer than you or I have, and have taken them to race at the highest levels, tell me to go with the GT2 bar for the same money, I listen to them.

Edit: There are more important things to worry about on our 993s, like what wax to use, or wheel cleaner. And the #1 thing to worry about, are factory tire pressures right for you?
Old 05-08-2005, 11:17 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

The reason it is simple is when mechanics and engineers that have worked on 993s for longer than you or I have, and have taken them to race at the highest levels, tell me to go with the GT2 bar for the same money, I listen to them.
ok... me too then
Old 05-08-2005, 11:18 PM
Ben in Plano, TX
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greg-

Got it - didn't realize the GT2 bar had that level of tolerance in it. Not something I've come to expect from our favorite engineers!

Ben
Old 05-09-2005, 08:32 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

just to add a little fuel to the fire...

reading the April 2005 edition of 911&Porsche World today and there is an article about the 993 GT2 with lots of pictures, including a close-up of the strut brace... Guess what -- it is the factory Cup version...at least on this particular GT2...
Old 05-09-2005, 08:35 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Interesting, Was this a race or street version?
Race versions had several upgrades through the years there were GT2's and then there were GT2 Evos. my bar says GT2 EVO so my guess is later GT2s had the solid one piece bar.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:02 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Interesting, Was this a race or street version?
Race versions had several upgrades through the years there were GT2's and then there were GT2 Evos. my bar says GT2 EVO so my guess is later GT2s had the solid one piece bar.
yep - it was a street GT2... you are right, the later models must have switched to the 1-piece bar
Old 05-09-2005, 10:08 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
This is an interesting point that i had not considered...

Danny, since you have the Gt2 replica, can you comment on the install (?)

By the way, I am adding this item to bring a little more business to Gert on a larger order, hopefully reduce a little squeaking/creaking, and maybe add some rigidity... I dont track my car so probably would be just fine with either one...
Sorry Jonathan, I do not have the replica installed. I wanted to get the GT2 when i was building my track car but it was not available and that is where Gert told me about the incoming replica. Unfortunately it did not come fast enough for me so I went with an FVD unit at the recommendation of my mechanic.
I had seen the one piece installed on my mechanic's shop in a factory RSR EVO. My mechanic who has been at the top level or Racing was the one who told me the one piece is the best and about the equal torque issues. While I read and have learned many things here, I trust what he says to me due to his wealth of experience and expertise with decades in Porsche racing. So if its good enough for him then its good enough for me too, much like what Greg wisely said above.
While for sure its not the end of the world so to speak if its available than why not?
Old 05-11-2005, 01:23 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've just installed Gert's repro GT2 Evo bar. It was a snap to install, and I confirm that it does have slotted holes. It is light, fat, and stiff! A great piece of engineering simplicity.

Haven't been for a test drive yet, so I've nothing to say on perf. yet.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:48 AM
TargaTango
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After readiong a thread in which Robert Linton enthusiastically recommended the GT2 and explained its advantage being one peice, I bought Gert's replica and replaced the 3 piece Gembella. It tightened things up for me.

All the best.

Quick Reply: Carnewal GT2 replica or Cup strut tower brace?