993 purchase advise.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 12:51 PM
medphreak
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 993 purchase advise.

Hello all -

I have been quietly following this board for a few years while deciding what model of Porsche to purchase and when to purchase. I finally settled on a 993 after reading the many posts here and deciding that this model means "Porsche" to me.

I had anticipated waiting about another year to purchase a car, but found the following car via Autotrader, not terribly far from where we live in Virginia.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...TAFSRCHUSDTEXT

I'm very tempted to purchase this car given the unique color combination. Can anyone tell me what the official color names are? It looks to me like slate gray, but I haven't seen that color interior before.

The details as I know them:
1996 C4 with 71k miles
I don't have an option list yet, but I think I see HID lights.
The car was purchased at auction, so no paperwork and greater risk.

The car is located in Mechanicsburg, PA in the same zip code as Sun Motor Cars. Would the list recommend Sun for a PPI, or is there a better independent shop in the area? Also, I was curious if any of the Rennlisters had looked at this car yet?

Thank you for any help.

Don Doherty
Fredericksburg, VA
Attached Images    
Old 05-07-2005, 01:36 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

That is a very nice and unique combo- But here is the thing, you of course need ppi, but you really NEED a compression Leak down check on a motor of 71K in light of the history being unknown. Thats a must thats $400-800?
I would make the seller pay for it if you can get him to. You might have to
do it- Usually the buyer picks up the tab but since there is no history ask him to do it.
The second thing is they are asking $35K the should be in the $30 and below range in my opinion given the
lack of service record and milage. The third thing is if everything checks out you still need to put probably $10k in a maintenence account, or more. If the compression leakdown comes out ok then
you might make it to 100K + without anyother maintence, maybe not. IF the compression check/leak down are not ok then you still want the car then you are in good shape, because you can use the needed engine rebuild as a huge bargaining chip, say offer $22 or lower based on how much a shop tells you your gonna need+the stuff you need to do while its apart- clutch/flywheel any other tranny issue? If it doesnt shift right or feel good, regear and overhual? Get ALL the info you need first then go back to the seller and start bargaining. I think the buyer is in good shape on this car if you really want it and it is a nice color combo that we dont see everyday. I think a guy could get this car at a good price, and get all the stuff you want fixed, paid buy the seller or you do it.
I would negotiate the price based on the need maintenence costs pay the $22k or whatever and get it fixed the way I want. THen you have a nice car with a new/overhauled driveline and piece of mind.
Talk to Terry Adams on this board he has a nice 993 with 120K miles on it and it just was pulled apart and gone through, he did some upgrades but he can give you an idea of what the motor is gonna cost to pull apart- gone through and put back together and what else will be worn in the drive line.
Old 05-07-2005, 02:12 PM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ditto on the wise words of OG. You have PM also.

Good luck
Old 05-07-2005, 08:18 PM
Blaine S
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Don - welcome.

First, if it is close go and drive it. One bit of very good advice many people here gave me it to drive as many possible examples of the 993 as you can find before you buy.

The price isn't all that great considering the mileage, unique interior, and the fact it was an auction car.

OG has great advice. A very through PPI would be an absolute must on that car. I passed on a '95 gray C4 with black interior with ~70k mi and they were only asking $29.9k. I didn't even have to think about a PPI because when I drove it I found, broken seat motors, sunroof gears were stripped, clutch was very heavy, oil leak, sluggish performance.....it wasn't taken care of.

Good luck finding your dream car. It took me three months and considering other people's experience here, that is a relatively short time.
Old 05-07-2005, 08:28 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 103 Posts

Is it me - or does the factory radio appear to be sitting too far out in those interior pics? Perhaps it was re-installed after someone had a better stereo in there?
Old 05-07-2005, 08:45 PM
Radar
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very unusual color combo

Exterior Color: METALLIC GRAY WITH DARK RED
Interior Color: Champagne

Why would you buy a car from someone who can't advertise it correctly?
Old 05-07-2005, 09:32 PM
medphreak
Track Day

You're right about purchasing a car from someone who can't advertise it correctly. Perhaps I'll pass.

Don
Old 05-07-2005, 09:36 PM
Radar
Instructor

Hey Don, please don't take my comments in a negative manner, if you like the car as it is, you should consider it. Sorry if I made you uncomfortable.

Btw, is it me or is the color more like that green/grey they had early on. The name escapes me but I seem to remember something green metallic.
Old 05-07-2005, 09:40 PM
zoomzoom
Racer

Aventura Green
Old 05-07-2005, 09:42 PM
Radar
Instructor

Thanks zoom that's the color I was thinking of. Did Blair win the election?
Old 05-07-2005, 10:17 PM
m5guru
Instructor

Originally Posted by Radar
Why would you buy a car from someone who can't advertise it correctly?

It seems to me with a superior knowledge about a product, you'd be able to exploit the market's relative lack of knowledge to your advantage and find a car in the hands of someone who doesn't really know its true value.

I'm on the hunt for a car too and it is surprising to me how strongly the 993's have held their value; certainly compared to the early 996's.

David
Old 05-07-2005, 10:30 PM
Radar
Instructor

Originally Posted by m5guru
It seems to me with a superior knowledge about a product, you'd be able to exploit the market's relative lack of knowledge to your advantage and find a car in the hands of someone who doesn't really know its true value.

Not sure what you mean but there must be others with far more expertise than me. I had a 993 for a very short time before I bought a 996 which also was kept for a short time.

Now, did Blair win the election?
Old 05-07-2005, 11:01 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm afraid I wouldn't like that color combo after awhile.

You should print OG's post and take it with you whether you look at this car or another one. He's right on.

OG-responses like yours are what makes this place great. Thanks,
chuck
Old 05-07-2005, 11:33 PM
DarDar
Advanced

Originally Posted by csertich
OG-responses like yours are what makes this place great. Thanks,
chuck
I second that. OG is one of the new technical experts that are making this a great place with great advice. None better anywhere.
Old 05-08-2005, 12:53 AM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Originally Posted by Radar

Btw, is it me or is the color more like that green/grey they had early on. The name escapes me but I seem to remember something green metallic.
Was it aventurine green metallic?

Quick Reply: 993 purchase advise.