Sponsored by:

Purchasing a 993 through a dealer

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 03:24 AM
Dr. Sus
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchasing a 993 through a dealer

Hi I'm new to Rennlist and will be looking to purchase my first Porsche soon. Does anyone have any feedback (both good and bad) on purchasing a 993 through Truspeedmotorcars in Costa Mesa, CA? Or any other dealers in the So Cal Area?
Old 05-06-2005, 03:28 AM
MikeAlwaysWins
Addict
Rennlist Member

IMHO, it not so much the source as the car. Although it's great to have original window sticker, books, records, receipts etc. It's not always possible. Find a car you love, then get a good ppi, if it checks out, buy it and "Drive it like you stole it"
Old 05-06-2005, 09:50 AM
stedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

No specific info on them. Only issue for me is, usually the private sales are such that you can look the owner in the eye and get a sense if he is trustworthy or full of crap. PErhaps see what else he has and how he (or she, of course!!) takes care of it. General idea of things unsaid. I think that is helpful.

In my opinion, the advantage of a dealer is a warranty, FWIW. Or a few folks seem to just get great cars (Ray Joseph, for example, though admittedly this is purely a transfer of info from this board). But the dealer prices also seem to be quite a bit higher, etc, etc.

On any car, a good PPI is extremely important. If you buy from a dealer, make sure you get your own independent PPI elsewhere.

Best of luck.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:39 AM
911CabSteve
Rennlist Member

No experience with Truspeedmotorcars. Also check out Rennlist Thread https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/201498-best-method-to-purchase-a-993-a.html for related buying info.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:46 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

I tried to buy a couple of cars from these guys in the past 5 years. They get some very nice inventory, but they ask a high premium over the market price. I can say they were totally professional and easy to deal with but they had no interest in hitting the two bids I showed them on two different cars.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:51 PM
Michael_Philippi
Racer

"On any car, a good PPI is extremely important. If you buy from a dealer, make sure you get your own independent PPI elsewhere."

You can't safely assume you can forgo a PPI just because you are buying from a dealer, even an authorized, official Porsche dealer. I made the mistake, about a month ago, of relying on the dealer service records and the stupid belief that a genuine porsche dealer would not lie. I was told that the brakes were done, a full service was done, and all issues except cosmetic were taken care of. Guess what, I am spending a bunch of money at Devek (ViperBob makes it almost pleasant!) taking care of the things I was told were already taken care of. I'll be talking to the dealer after I get the car, and used parts back from Devek.
Just to make myself feel good, I am having Pss9s and M030 anti-sway bars installed while the car is at Devek.
Good luck.
Michael
Old 05-07-2005, 12:59 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I purchased my 964 from Truespeed almost 3 years ago. I believe they sell both vehicles of their own and also consignment units. Mine was on consignment. They "no-saled" it on ebay 2-3 times before I called with an offer which the owner took 2 days to consider. Personally I think I got the deal of the century... And that's really all that counts

They had the complete history of the vehicle and the salespeople were very nice and completely honest. (I've been in the auto industry for the past 18 years so I can spot them.) The car I purchased exceeded my expectations!

I'd buy again from Truespeed in a heartbeat!
Old 05-07-2005, 06:53 PM
pinoysche
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dr. Sus
Hi I'm new to Rennlist and will be looking to purchase my first Porsche soon. Does anyone have any feedback (both good and bad) on purchasing a 993 through Truspeedmotorcars in Costa Mesa, CA? Or any other dealers in the So Cal Area?
I purchased 97TT last month from Truspeedmotorcars. Very professional and no presure dealing with them.
Old 05-08-2005, 01:33 PM
SteveAbrahams
Instructor

No problems with Truspeed. They have great inventory
and represent their cars honestly IMO. That being said,
do your due deligence, have the car inspected by a neutral
party, drive it and ask a fellow rennlister for their opinion
on a particular car. My opinions are free let me know if
I can help.
Old 05-10-2005, 02:36 AM
trojanman
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm actually having a PPI done on a Truspeed '96 C2 coupe right now... I believe the price we settled on (assuming a clean PPI) is a bit more than I would've paid to a private party, but I think it's fair.

In my mind, price isn't as important as value... what I'm paying for this car feels right based on the increased peace of mind and buying experience (at least so far!!).

Quick Reply: Purchasing a 993 through a dealer