Sponsored by:

Question about using 993 as daily driver

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 10:40 PM
AnthemAVM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about using 993 as daily driver

I am getting really close to closing the deal on the black 993 located 2 miles from my house.

I was wondering if anyone has bought a 993 for a daily driver, and found that it was to expensive, or unreliable to use.

This will be the first time that I have had a daily driver without a warranty, and am just getting nervous.

Thanks

Michael
Old 05-05-2005, 11:17 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Hi Michael,

Actually - sorry for the delayed reply - but I just got home, and I was sort of reading a few other threads

Anyway -to answer your question - yes. I bought my 993 with the help and advice of many here in the 993 forum. It's a 95 993 C4 I bought with some "warts" for $16,000 (which included an extra set of cup rims. When I got it after selling my 87 911 and 914-6 3.0 - I pretty well subsidized a few Sponsors for parts acquisition to reseal the engine, install a LWF/clutch, PSS-9s, brakes, rotors, fix a few rust blems, etc., etc. Alfie at IRA - another Site Sponsor hooked me into the car (Thanks Alfie!) For the parts included - Gert, Steve W. @ Rennsport, ViperBob, Paragon, Pelican, Apex (I may have missed some - but if I did, I'll hear about it ?)

Anyway - I drive my car in NH 365 days a year - winter, summer, etc. This winter was particulary hard with all the snow and the commute to one of my jobs. But - the 993 braved more snow/storms then most any other cars/trucks - and always got me home safe and sound...

As well - during driving season - I also use it on the track (and it is INCREDIBLE!) - and may run back-to-back sessions (I instruct, so will take students out quite often).

Yes - you need to keep on top of it for maintenience and if it's a year round ride, be certain you follow a regular maintence cycle. Since I do all my own work, I find it enjoyable.

Also - I bought my 993 just about 15 months ago with 112K on it - and it now has about 130K on it. It just gets "better"

Best to you!

John D.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:23 PM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

993 is a pretty bullet proof car and very reliable, and it makes a good daily driver
FYI they have a few problems though, these are well know recurring problems, but don't hit EVERY car:
valve guides go causing the CEL to come on for secondary air, the norm seems to be between 50-60K and will cost around $8K properly done.
The steering racks leak.
DME relays fail (keep a spare in your trunk pocket, trust me)
heater mixing flaps freeze up
A/C leaks are common
DMF's go out and cause a CEL for missfires on all 6 cylinders.
oil leaks from lower valve covers and chain housings/covers are common (usually reseal the chain housings with the valve job as they are usually 25% of a leakage problem and more anoying than a hazard).
The car runs synthetic and has 12 spark plugs so service is a little more.
Needs 91 (Chevron preferably)
the tiptronic seems to be very reliable (I've never replaced one in a 993, only done the service)
electronics are reliable
airbag system is reliable
trans is reliable
suspension components are reliable

But the million dollar question is,
Do you REALLY want to drive a (insert commuter car here) to and from work stop/go on the 405 with no personality or soul anyway? Or do you want to look FORWARD to the drive home and take the long way with lots of curves and unwind from a long day of stress? You live in O.C. like I do so there are fun drives to be had all the time. Welcome to the Porsche world.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:30 PM
Marc in AK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Only on nice days for me....this has been asked in the past. Here is a recent poll on this. Good luck, looks like your getting close!

Marc
Old 05-05-2005, 11:43 PM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Oh I forgot to ask you have had/were going to have a PPI done right, PM me and I'll get it looked at ASAP for you if you havent
Old 05-06-2005, 12:03 AM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

though i don't have to drive everyday w/ my work... i do always take the 993. my experience has been great. i drive it hard & she performs great. also the 993 has seen less "shop time" than my former (purchased new) "my00" 986.

on the 993, i changed out the lower valve cover gaskets soon after purchase & all the belts & hoses... now all i do is change the oil. the car has been dry & best of all............. such a treat to drive to & from work. big love as a daily.

michael bol on the new2you 993 & hope to see you @ a funrun or 2 or 3...
Old 05-06-2005, 12:36 AM
Topless in Temecula
Racer

Bought mine mid-October last year and have put nearly 5k miles on it as my daily driver (actually three days or so each week) - its been great. Changed belts, oil filters, oil, new tires, bled lines and serviced brakes, bought DME relay "just in case", upgraded a pulley - so I am into this for $2k or so but now am just doing oil changes until 30k service. I love the car and look for places to drive fast and avoid the freeways. Lots of help froom Renlisters here - especially Bobby T. who helped find car and is my technical "go to guy" - thanks Bob.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:20 AM
pdemar
Intermediate

I'm in OC as well and bought my 97 coupe, with 17k mi. in Jan this year as a daily driver replacing a BMW 540i. My commute is a little long and the rush hour traffic can be tedious with the stiff clutch, since you're looking for a tip, that shouldn't be an issue. Otherwise, it has been great to drive. Definately search this forum on stereo upgrades, it was the first thing I did after a week of commuting. Also, I wasn't sure what to expect on gas mileage, but I'm actually getting about 25% better mileage than with the 540i, which these days is significant. Other than that, I figure the maintenance costs (as described in another post) will be roughly the same as the BMW. Hergesheimers did my PPI and I recommend them to you.

Paul
Old 05-06-2005, 03:23 AM
jkuniverse
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having been a 993 owner for relatively a short period of time (10 months), I'm not sure if I can give you a good answer. Anyway, since I bought my car last year, I drove it almost every other day (whenever the weather is good and traffic is light). I've changed the leaky valve cover gaskets, oil cooler ballast resistor and rotors/caps/spark plugs etc. otherwise, the usual stuff. IMO, the car is bullet proof and I don't see the reason why it can't be a daily driver but the question is do you really want to use it as a daily driver? No is my answer. Yes I know... I want to drive it any chance I get, but there are days my baby 993 just isn't practical, so I depend on my other cars to do the 'dirty work' (rainy days, groceries, sitting in traffic, carrying passengers, short trips etc...). That's just me. I hope it helps.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:31 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've put about 14-15k miles on my car since getting it feb04. It has been a very reliable car, which I was not expecting. They do have their quirks, but read the forum and you'll soon find out which parts needs the attention. Maintenance costs are a bit higher than your average car, but then again, this car is far from average.

A good PPI is a must as it will cut down on the work you will have to do to get the car back into shape once you purchase. The costliest thing about owning the car is trying to resist the urge to mod/upgrade parts. As you can see by my signature, I haven't been doing too well in that department.

Good luck... hope you find a great one. Patience is key.
Old 05-06-2005, 07:55 AM
993RS
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have been driving 911s for over 20 years, and they have always been daily drivers. Never any problems with them as daily drivers.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:56 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 911 Likes on 549 Posts

Daily driver, occasional 3-4k mile trip, very reliable, approx. $1/mile total operating cost. Less if you DIY.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:34 AM
911CabSteve
Rennlist Member

You should go to Europe in the winter.. You'll see quite a few 911s (old and new) at ski areas with ski racks. They drive them EVERYWHERE all the time no matter what the weather. They are meant to be driven ("like they were stolen"), not to be garage queens. My 0.02 cents.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:09 PM
garychios
Pro

Drive mine all the time. Even in the show. Great Car and ment to be driven .

-G
Old 05-06-2005, 12:23 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 129 Posts

I have driven mine daily since 9/2000. It is a joy to drive and has been the most reliable car I have ever owned. I think that you will find that many daily-driver cars are maintained by their owners rather than at a dealer. IMHO, the prices of parts really isn't that bad, compared to all of my friends' Lexuses and MBs. They are meant to be driven. I can say, however, that if I was stick in stop/go traffic on the fwy all the time, I would get something different to commute in. Maybe just an econo-box Toyota. The heavy clutch and other considerations make a poor combination for Seattle or LA rush hour. Now if one left for the office a little early to enjoy the roads solo, that is another matter!

Quick Reply: Question about using 993 as daily driver