RS side skirt installation help needed.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 04:37 PM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Wreck Me Otter
I thought the rear fender liners are also different for the RS and non-RS. Or is it just the addition of those extra parts.

I pack home a lot of little rocks in those rock catchers........
Hello Wreck.. AFAIK, the fenders are the same... only the rest of the bolt on is diff.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:06 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Monique
Hello Wreck.. AFAIK, the fenders are the same... only the rest of the bolt on is diff.
J-P,

I think Kim means plastic fender liners , not the actual fenders.

Or do you also mean liners, not the fenders?

Just to be clear since even on Eric's post I'm little confused whether three holes are needed to the fender or one for the fender and three (two?) for the fender liners.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:36 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Finn,
3 holes are required in the FACE of the fender! Something like the pic below. This would obviously be very disfiguring if you ever removed the side skirts. The metal mounting bracket has threaded studs that go thru these holes you would drill. This bracket slips into the plastic side skirt, but I removed it before installation.

Plus you'll need one hole in the fender lip as shown in the first pic I posted. Plus you'll need apparently a couple holes in the black plastic wheel well liners, but I hardly consider that an issue.
Attached Images  
Old 05-02-2005, 06:50 PM
mborkow
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would never be able to drill those holes into the body of my car!
Old 05-02-2005, 08:26 PM
motion
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhh.... so much for my planned RS sideskirt purchase. Chris Walrod - any chance your carbon fiber pieces will have a better attachment scheme?
Old 05-02-2005, 09:00 PM
Cy
Racer

Eric,

Any chance of using automotive adhesive? The black silicon-type stuff comes to mind. Would still be difficult to remove, but at least you're not drilling. Not quite sure how the side skirts fit and whether they require periodic removing for kind of maintainance (e.g. oil changes), but could be worth considering.

Regards,
Old 05-02-2005, 09:17 PM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cy
...Not quite sure how the side skirts fit and whether they require periodic removing for kind of maintainance (e.g. oil changes)...
There should be no good reason to remove the sideskirts for any type of maintenance. In fact, there is a little removeable flap for access to the oil drain on the passenger side.
Old 05-03-2005, 04:34 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Eric86Red911
Finn,
3 holes are required in the FACE of the fender! Something like the pic below. This would obviously be very disfiguring if you ever removed the side skirts. The metal mounting bracket has threaded studs that go thru these holes you would drill. This bracket slips into the plastic side skirt, but I removed it before installation.

Plus you'll need one hole in the fender lip as shown in the first pic I posted. Plus you'll need apparently a couple holes in the black plastic wheel well liners, but I hardly consider that an issue.
Hello Eric,

IIRC, the holes are lower in the fender. I suggest you begin with the lowest hole. If you make an error, it will not be visible.

Cheers
Old 05-03-2005, 09:49 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks Eric,

Now I understand it better.

I dunno if I will drill those holes either, one on the lip is different but these three..

I think I rather use some heavy glue since it seems you don't need to remove these for oil changes.
BTW, there's a flap for draining the oil but can you still remove the fender liner (for oil filter removal)without removing the skirt?

One good glue is SIKA (means pig in Finnish btw ), black glue, not silicone made by then is so strong you need explosives in order to remove it...
Old 05-03-2005, 10:02 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
.... if I will drill those holes either, one on the lip is different but these three.. Not really a problem... they are hidden by the fairing

I think I rather use some heavy glue since it seems you don't need to remove these for oil changes. You are correct but if ever you need to remove them you will damage the car
BTW, there's a flap for draining the oil but can you still remove the fender liner (for oil filter removal)without removing the skirt? No problem.. the cover is removable and the liners are easily removed

One good glue is SIKA (means pig in Finnish btw ), black glue, not silicone made by then is so strong you need explosives in order to remove it...
See my previous comment :-)

Cheers,
Old 05-03-2005, 11:40 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Jean-Pierre is right that the holes would actually be a bit lower than I showed them. But that doesn't make me feel any better...

Finn- I'd be afraid of damaging the paint if you use glue. I used 2-sided foam tape (3M automotive) and the one hole in the fender lip, and I think it's ok. There is a little gap that would not exist if I drilled the 3 holes, but it's not very noticable. Honestly I don't think the tape does much of anything. There's a LOT of force required to hold this part close to the fender, so I don't think tape/glue is useful. If the part were designed better it wouldn't be a problem...
Old 05-03-2005, 06:35 PM
Racer944
Racer

Ok, this is not really helpful to the situation at hand, but if any of you are having second thoughts about installing your side skirts due to the drilling issue, please contact me. I'm in the market for a set of RS skirts, and would be willing to purchase them and solve your dilemma (assuming they are in like new condition).

Cheers;
Eric
Old 05-06-2005, 10:29 PM
aubrey993
Advanced

I just bought the skirts and am about to do the install. Thanks guys for all the valuable advise.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:48 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

If someone were interesting in installing the RS sideskirts, (hypothetically speaking of course), can someone help me understand how this plate (part #17 in the diagram 993.504.481.00) attaches to the wheel well liner. The diagram shows a fastener of some sort (#18), but is there a backing plate or speed nut of some sort on the other side of the wheel liner that attaches to it? Also, help on the porsche part number for item #18 in the diagram would be appreciated

Old 01-22-2009, 06:27 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 372 Posts

rear wheel well plates

#18 can be purchased at any autobody supply house, they are plastic expanding plugs, I for get the real name but they come in a variety of sizes

Quick Reply: RS side skirt installation help needed.