Sponsored by:

H&R Adj. Rear Sway Bar 24mm, H&R Adj. Front Sway Bar 26mm

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 11:21 PM
HK G36C
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts
Default H&R Adj. Rear Sway Bar 24mm, H&R Adj. Front Sway Bar 26mm

Any thoughts would be appreciated? TIA, David , So you believe the front is too thick or would you say you feel the same way about the rear bar also, thanks, again...

Last edited by HK G36C; 05-01-2005 at 01:05 AM.
Old 04-30-2005, 11:35 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Not sure where the funny part is on your question, but I'm actually thinking of going smaller from my TRG sways to the RS size as I'm getting a ton of understeer even at the softest setting. The H&R are pretty thick!
Old 05-01-2005, 01:03 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

I agree completely with Danny. My TRG sway bar at 25mm front is too thick as it is. I was wondering if i was the only person who felt that way.
Old 05-01-2005, 01:12 AM
HK G36C
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

so, the RS front is 23mm and the rear is 20mm, correct?
Old 05-01-2005, 08:53 AM
Johnny_B
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whoa...I was on the verge of getting the TRG sways - Danny & Eric, are you tracking and having the problem or is the understeer noticable on the street also?
Old 05-01-2005, 12:30 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts

Let's get confused now...I have the TRGs and my car rides as if on rails...0, and I mean 0 under steer. I have my rear bar in the middle and the front I believe is in the middle as well...I'll take a look on Monday when I have ger up on the rack.

No understeer for me...
Old 05-01-2005, 12:43 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

There are lots of variables to consider beyond just the parts that are installed. Alignment settings, tire sizes, spring rates, tire pressures, driving styles, skill levels, etc. There is not a one size fits all forumla. Most often it is a trial and error sort of procedure. FWIW I use the TRG bars and have the front at the softest setting and the rear in the middle setting. But my set up is far beyond what most would live with in a street/track car.

Driving style has a lot of do with how the car handles as well. Are you abrupt at turn in, do you treat the steering wheel like a lady ? All these things can play into how the car handles. You can also have a car that is understeering so badly that you might think it is oversteering, due to your over compensating. Lots of variables to consider and no way to know exactly what forumla works for you until you do some driving and testing.

Also as a driver you have to be consistent in your driving to know what your car is doing. I have had the help of a pro or two to set up my car, they are much more in tune with what the car is doing and have helped me to learn more about car tuning that I would have learned on my own. It is really almost a black art as the same settings on two different days could have different results.
Old 05-01-2005, 12:47 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Martin,
If you car is on rails then you aren't driving it hard enough Seriously a car that is not being pushed to its limits is almost always perfectly neutral. If you are driving hard you will never be perfectly neutral or at least not for long as the tires wear or heat up, etc.
Old 05-01-2005, 01:03 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

I just took off a set of H&Rs from a fellow Rennlisters car. First off, the rear bushing is SOOO thin between the clamp and the bar that the bushing disinegrated with the force. And this was the second bushing to have done this. Second, bigger bars (and these are gigantic) require more dampening from the shocks. Try putting these on with marginal shocks and you'll not have a fun time.
Old 05-01-2005, 01:17 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

JB-
Don't get me wrong, I still recommend TRG sways, but I'd prefer if the front sway were a bit smaller. I always go full soft in front (obviously) and middle to full stiff in rear. That makes my car pretty neutral, and that's ok with me, so I'm not really complaining. But if you like oversteer (e.g. AutoX), TRG sways might not let you get there. And yes, I'm referring to tracking the car. I think tuning the suspension for street use is silly to say the least.
Old 05-01-2005, 01:48 PM
Johnny_B
Instructor

I think all this points me toward Turbo sways instead - I rarely track but I am aggressive on the street (Most of my driving is at high speed and turns at 50+mph).

Together with the already installed Bil' HDs and H&R Springs the turbo bars may be best...and half the cost of TRGs. Viper Bob - do you sell the turbo sways?
Old 05-01-2005, 02:07 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Yes JB, we sell the ROW turbo sways. We sell quite a few of them for the same reason you are considering them...
Old 05-01-2005, 06:03 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

I was able to dial out my extra understeer with the TRG bars by going to a 245 front tire from 225. Rears are 285) (per recommendations from some of the Rennlisters that also responded on this thread - thanks). Bars are set at middle - back/ softest - front. No rubbing issues with this tire combo on a NB car set at just a hair above RS height.
Old 05-01-2005, 09:59 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

While I completely agree with Greg on his remarks, myself I have the fortune of having 2 993's. before my race car I used to track the cabrio. When I bought my coupe, the cabrio had very aggresive setup mainly for the track. On that car I have the H&R coilovers with the Euro M030 sways which the front is the same thickness as the RS bars.
When I bought the coupe, my mechanic dialed the same setup on the track car as I had a race coming up at my home track so I wanted to be consistent. The coupe was setup with Bilstein RSR coilover , pretty soft springs as it appeared, not too much stiffer than the H&R and most importantly the lbs spring difference between front and rear was similar to the H&R. On the coupe I also got the TRG sways and for cost savings i kept the same set of rims and tires I had on the cabrio. So with everything pretty much the same exept the sways, I went out on my home track on a DE weekend before the race. I had the sways both in the middle and i got a ton of understeer. By comparison my cabrio was beautifully neutral. Since then I have been fighting understeer galore. Watching my Sebring video, I know I lost a ton of time on the slow corners as i could not get some decent speed through them due to the severe understeer I had. Granted I have stuck with the MPSC's 225's up front and I have not explored sufficiently another setup since I got a new and very complicated suspension ( JRZ).
I think that TRG is making a terrific product and I'm sure once I can get back on the track and play some more I will be able to dial it out.
However I feel with normal coilover suspensions and normal tire sizes (225's front) anything over the RS bars could be an overkill and bring understeer. I maybe wrong but this is how I see it and that is why I believe that the best bang for your money are the Euro M030 sways. Cheap and they do a great job.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:30 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Danny,
Go to the Hoosier tires and that understeer will be gone. I had the same kind of problems with the Michelin's. At Putnam I dropped over 2 seconds on my lap time when I switched back to the Hoosiers.

Quick Reply: H&R Adj. Rear Sway Bar 24mm, H&R Adj. Front Sway Bar 26mm