Droning Sound

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 02:30 AM
jw_993
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Droning Sound

Hi all
I wonder if you can help with the following? I have just recently noticed an annoying droning sound that is very evident if driving at speed it increases with speed it does not appear to be metallic. What do wheel bearings sound like when they are failing? The rear tyres have just been replaced but this has not solved the problem, the front tyres look fine but are date stamped 02/02 and have at least 25k on them. The other problem i have is steering wheel shake when braking at around 60mph. By the way i have a 993 c2 manual.
Any thoughts will be helpful.
Thanks
James.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:31 AM
SJB993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One possible cause of the droning sound might be if your rear bumper side hangers have corroded through and your bumper is vibrating.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:43 PM
cabfan1968
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

hi james, from your description i would say there is a 95% chance that you have a wheel bearing that is failing you, it usually starts out sounding like really loud winter tires, in SOME cases you can actually feel the play in a bearing by jacking the car and checking for play one wheel at a time. this info is not p-car specific, it applies to all makes. the steering wheel shake is almost cerntainly warped front rotors. hope this helps, glenn
p.s.if you can afford it always replace rotors as opposed to machining them, reducing the thickness of the rotors is contrary to the engineering of the brake system

Quick Reply: Droning Sound