Sponsored by:

OT: son got speeding ticket for +100 mph

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 06:09 PM
MikeinNashville
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don,

Sorry for the problems that have arisen out of your son's "temporary lack of judgement" in driving so fast.

When my son was ticketed for going 58 in a 40 mph zone, I took his license away from him for 2 weeks, and when he went into court, the judge decided to take it away for another 3 weeks. Hopefully he learned his lesson. He hasn't had another speeding ticket since (so either he hasn't been speeding, or hasn't been caught again).

I hope everything works out for you in this case, but at the very least, you son needs to know that his actions were not appropriate for a 19 year old. I'm sure he's a great kid, but at 19, no one needs to be driving 100 (or even 90). Way too dangerous to them and everyone around them.
Old 04-24-2005, 06:28 PM
Scott 1996 993c2
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hatchback
If you want to help your son avoid the consequences of his actions, then hire a local lawyer who knows the judge. The best way to do this is to go to the traffic court before you are due to appear, see who wins their cases in front of the judge, and hire them. On the other hand, you might be concerned about the long term consequences of gaming the legal system to get out of a well-deserved speeding ticket. What would your son learn from this? As a father, I would be inclined to let my son eat the ticket, even if it meant loosing his license, so that he would understand that breaking the law has serious consequences. It's a tricky issue, with arguments to be made on both sides.
Very relevant input IMHO!

Scott
Old 04-24-2005, 07:45 PM
williet1342
Pro

Talking My 2 cents...

We all speed. That is part of the p-car purchase agreement isn't it? V1 helps us speed undetected or at least for the most part unticketed. But most of us are older now and we sort of sense where and when to punch it on public roadways. A 19 year old does not "sense" anything of the like. We were all 19 once so I know you agree at least in part. Bottom line? Go to the prosecutor and meet in private with him/her. Explain that you want your son to feel the sting via Community Service etc...but would request some mercy on the fine and points. Most prosecutors are young and in the child bearing years. If you are clean cut and professional about it they will likely help you without a lawyer. They also like to hear a father say he wants to put a foot in his son's butt. Hiring a lawyer, IMHO, is not required so long as you can appear prior to and at court, and think on your feet. On the other hand if public speaking freaks you out. Pay the full fine, kick your son's butt and let him wait tables until you get paid back. By the way my son just got a lecture as a result of this thread. He is so thrilled.

Good luck. And once again I'm right.
Old 04-24-2005, 08:42 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

I have had 30+ speeding tickets in my short 17 year driving career. First one at 16 was 92 in a 55. I lost my license from my father for 3 months and throughout college my insurance was close to $5k per year - with no new tickets (I was adept at hiding things from my insurance company). I worked all summer to pay my yearly insurance bill.

I hope that your son will learn his lesson better than I did. Of course we all speed, but most on this forum are old enough to understand the consequences. I wasn't at 16-24 and almost killed my friends in one particular bad accident.

And I love the comments here about getting a Valentine 1. Sure, that will teach him a great lesson. If he wants a radar detector so he can continue to break the law, I sure as hell hope he doesn't get it from you.

If I had a son who had that ticket, I'm not sure I would even get him a lawyer. I might let him learn first hand the consequences of his actions. But thats pretty rich since my daughter is only 20 months old and I don't have a son. He got himself in this mess.........
Old 04-24-2005, 09:41 PM
Don C
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All the advice here is great. This is an incredible community. Help with our 993's, our son's speeding tickets, and lots of advice for father to be's (a new thread by mr sullivan).

I did receive a PM from a fellow Rennlister who is a Calif attorney and offered to help. While I will insure that he learns a hard lesson from this, with two son's in college, I do hope to reduce the financial hit to the extent I can.
Old 04-24-2005, 11:40 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Don,

That part of California is bad for speeding. I hate to drive there. And the CHP seems to have an attitude they do not have down South.

The concern I would have if this happend to my daughter is that I drive a sports car fast and if I condem her for speeding then I become a hypocrite. I remember doing some really stupid things when I was young; like racing on Mulholland Drive, and it scares me. And I would probably over reactin comming down on my kid.

however you appear to have traversed that challenge; congratulations.
But have you thought about getting him some further driving skills edcuation? If he has a genetic leadfoot it might give you a piece of mind knowing that his skill level is higher than the average driver.

Getting off the
Old 04-25-2005, 12:23 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Lots of good advice here, including the big dilemma of punishing your son versus helping him avoid a crushing fine / crushing insurance bills. When my oldest was 19 and got a DUI (the morning after, driving home from his college, still tested for .08), I went to the prosecutor behind closed doors, had a good discussion, actually suggested that he take his license away for 90 days instead of 30 days, but worked out a reasonable solution. Doing something like that might work, and it might not. A good local lawyer might help a lot, but will probably cost you.
Old 04-25-2005, 02:08 AM
BigLou
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Like everyone said, Get a attorney that does traffic tickets. I am an attorney in Florida and I handle traffic tickets. The attorney can usually get the points withheld from going on your son record, if not get the entire ticket dismissed.

Lou

Quick Reply: OT: son got speeding ticket for +100 mph