Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
993: great car
elise: great toy
one doesn't replace the other.
elise is more of a driver's car, quicker, more agile, communicates better than 993. but elise is a toy, carries about two grocery bags and takes 10 min. to get in the car , but oh is it fun.
Exactly right -- but, John, don't exaggerate, it only takes 5 minutes to get in and I'm an old guy. Seriously, the Elise is not a practical car in any sense of the word and with the sport pack it makes the GT2/3 ride feel down right cushy.

It can do pretty well at the track, especially with a good driver......what a blast.... WSIR lotus video
Old 04-21-2005, 01:29 AM
AW
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

> takes 10 min. to get in the car
> John, don't exaggerate

Well, it all depends how big your shoes are and how close the car next to you is. It can be very challenging at times and I'm not tall...

AW
Old 04-21-2005, 01:41 AM
DJD
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[IMG]img[/IMG] I rode in one and could not believe how well it worked in the turns, just like a go cart with a body. Well thats what it is. Its very fun but I see it as a single purpose car, TO DRIVE FAST, nothing else!! I would never trade my 993 for a car with such limited uses.
See the attached photo of the car I rode in. Its pretty damn small
Attached Images  

Last edited by DJD; 04-21-2005 at 01:51 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-21-2005, 02:15 AM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

o.k. guys.. it took me maybe 5 seconds longer to get in it.. and maybe 15 seconds more to get out of it.. geez.....
Old 04-21-2005, 10:12 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

jack, i wouldn't call yourself OLD. you are in great shape. i was exaggerating a bit of course. i have size 9 shoes, with top off and door wide open, it's easy. with top on and parked in SF garages, it takes a bit of finness, which i clearly lack ;-)
Old 04-21-2005, 11:45 AM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

We have my 993 Targa and his Elise in the garage currently, so let me point out a couple things from our weekend's trip to the track. We took the Elise to TWS this weekend, and one thing we had difficulty with was bringing enough stuff for the weekend's track event. I had to sit in the passenger's seat with stuff in my lap to fit everything. And we didn't bring but the basics and two helmets! Cramped is an understatement.

Summary - the car is not meant for road trips, so if you want to track it, plan to trailer. Granted, the Elise is fun at the track. But that's about it. The 993 is great for the track, and can get you there.

Also keep in mind that the engine in the Elise is already tuned as much as it can be. Super charger or Turbo is your only way to get more power. The 993 has much, much more room to grow.

The 993 and the Elise are completely different cars. The Elise a street-legal go-kart. The 993 has way more torque and power, even considering the power to weight ratio. You really have to wind up the Elise, and even then it doesn't have that exhiliration of the 993. And the 993 is actually comfortable to drive, can be taken on road trips, driven hard at the track, then driven home.

In my opinion, if you sell the 993 for the Elise, you will regret it.
Old 04-21-2005, 03:32 PM
Judson
AutoX

Default Thanks to all for the help...

Originally Posted by Jack
It can do pretty well at the track, especially with a good driver......what a blast...
Looks like a lot of fun... Thanks for sharing.

For those of you that also have an Elise, how many miles have you put on it and if you could do it all over, would you buy it again???
Old 04-21-2005, 03:43 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

My boyfriend's Elise has about 2500 miles on it now. He is quite happy about the car and would certainly buy it again, no regrets. The Elise is not my type of car, so I never would have bought it to begin with.

By the way, he kicked major hiney at the track this past weekend. His first track event in 5 years, and only his second ever, and he lapped the blue group twice. So, if that's any indicator of the ability of the car and driver, there ya go.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:32 PM
jw97C2S
Racer

The owners posting on the Lotus board on Roadfly do not seem very happy at all for some reason.

Quick Reply: 993 vs. Lotus Elise?