does new bumper paint lower the value ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 01:55 AM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I bought my car 4 years ago, the front had been repainted due to sandblasting in a prior life in Arizona. I bought it anyway as it was the color and equipment that I wanted. Then I repainted the front cover again when I added the Aerokit II splitter. Big deal - it is only paint. As someone else mentioned, these cars are 7-10 years old, and are meant to be driven (like you stole it).
Old 04-22-2005, 02:17 AM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Painting your front bumper is like making your bed every day - why bother. If you drive the car it's just going to get messed up again. How pissed will you be when you get your first scratch in your newly painted bumper and go through the hole exercise again.

Old 04-22-2005, 02:54 PM
TYNUSKT
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm finally putting the car into the bodyshop next week to get my RSCS front splitter put on and I'm getting my front bumper repainted at the same time. Mine is pretty beat up and I'm looking forward to the fresh look. Next trip I will be making is to have the 3M protection installed on the front of the car after that.
Old 04-22-2005, 11:23 PM
EC993
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Statman Designs could not have said it any better. I just sadly sold (gave away) my 95-993 with all the goodies and did so because I was tired of all the Porsche weenies calling about it, low balling the price and stating " car fax claims car was hit hard in the rear " when really it states " slight rear damage in 1996 Atlanta GA" What and idiot, the guy never even viewed the car, 2 hi end dealers stated it appered to be only bumper damage. The customer did bring a somewhat educated guy on Porsches and he gave it an 8 out of 10. Not bad for 10 years old but again these are not collectables and should be driven and enjoyed. I hope to buy another one in the future and let everyone on this site talk me in to all of the goodies for it all over again.
Old 04-23-2005, 01:37 AM
Midnight C4S
Pro

Hey Ed love your attitude. We'll be here when you need talking into.

About the front respray, I'd say if it's bad have it done, if it's slight leave it until just before you sell it. Or give buyers the option, "do you want me to respray it?"

Agree with many that they get chipped up after so many miles and respraying the front end is pretty normal.
Old 04-23-2005, 05:13 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO if you're going to go through the trouble of respraying the bumper then you should apply film protection afterwards, otherwise you'll just have to respray again in 3-4 years...so figure another $150-500 for the film kit or install. But you will then have to let the paint cure for 30 days during which you need to be careful about getting new chips in the paint.

I would go ahead and respray and just document it with receipts and photos.
Old 04-23-2005, 05:27 PM
gjtrek
Instructor

I'm gonna weigh in on this issue. I just sold a '78 SC garage queen which I owned and babied for two decades. Tried to keep the mileage reasonable (sold at 135K) concours condition most of the time. Finally, close friend with a P car couldn't stand it and wondered out loud for whom was I keeping the car in such pristine form...some future owner!! Dah. In a major way he was right. So no more Mr. Nice Guy....I'm owning, modifying and driving the current P car, as noted in one of the earlier threads here "...as though I stole her". Way more satisfying then merely looking at her in the garage and driving under blue sky!!

Regards, Gary
Old 04-23-2005, 06:37 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I consider my 993 S to be pretty damn nice in terms of paint and general exterior/interior condition. I havent had the time to enter into a concours competition yet, but I plan to one of these days. I consider myself a bit of a Porsche detailing weenie...the paint, windows, undercarriage, interior, etc. are worked on almost every weekend. Having said all that, I will definitely re-spray the front nose after a bit more use. The nose gets chips and the underside gets scratched, even with a front protection bar...it just happens. I think that a resprayed nose that is done perfectly to factory standards will have no bearing on the resaleability of the car...but I would agree with the others, put a 3M clear bra on it after the paint fully cures. Some of the prices mentioned here seem a bit low...in my experience, plan on $750-900 for a full bra (mirrors, entire front, half hood, etc.) using 3M film by an expert.
Old 04-24-2005, 10:56 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I just bought the turbo bumper off e-bay. It doesn't look like too much trouble to change. I'll probably use the one the PO cracked to mow down cones and wear the new one on special occasions. That way if I ever sell my car I'll have the original bumper to show that the car wasn't hit.
Old 04-24-2005, 11:42 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hoggel
I just bought the turbo bumper off e-bay. It doesn't look like too much trouble to change. I'll probably use the one the PO cracked to mow down cones and wear the new one on special occasions. That way if I ever sell my car I'll have the original bumper to show that the car wasn't hit.
Check www.p-car.com for instructions on how to remove and reinstall the bumper...I did it a few mos ago to put in stainless stell mesh grills and Euro air horns and it turned out to be much easier than I feared.

Quick Reply: does new bumper paint lower the value ?