Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Write-off 993 with questionable tranny ok to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 08:01 PM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Write-off 993 with questionable tranny ok to buy?

Hi guys - I'm looking at a 1995 993 that's a bit of a wreck - but I'm tempted to try and save it.

The car was written off in MD a couple of years ago, sold to a dealer in OK who then sold it to the CO here in Toronto. I think it was bought "sight unseen".

In any case, aside from a bunch off dented panels, it appears the tranny case was cracked somehow as well and the tranny lost it's fluid.

I don't think there's any way of knowing how long it was driven "dry" (if at all) - but my question is - will the tranny need to be rebuilt/replaced immediately?

The tranny CASE was replaced (seen the bill for that) but there's no mention of the tranny needing a rebuild.

I have driven the car (not knowing this history) and did not notice any problems. I have driven rally cars with failing tranny's and they sure do feel and sound sick. This 993's does not.

Thoughts on the tranny issue?

Thoughts on buying a "write off" (but now great looking) 993?

Thanks!

RK
Old 04-13-2005, 08:38 PM
rcwelch
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RK...you didn't mention how much you could get the car for. IMHO it all rests on that price and what it will take to put it back right. How long do you plan to keep it and it's resale factor come into play also (How can it be great looking with a bunch of dented panels?).
Old 04-13-2005, 08:44 PM
EThec
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if it's all cleaned up, drives well and the price is right, it might make a good track car. something you can beat on and use and not worry too much about resale value.

as far as the tranny goes, if it isn't whinning or grinding it's likely ok. you might want to keep a few $$$ on the side just in case though.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:56 PM
993Maineiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 113 Posts

Get a good idea of what else is wrong with this car. If whatever damaged the panels was enough to damage the tranny severely there are probably other issues. This could easily become a money pit. Just my .02, but watch out.

Al
Old 04-14-2005, 02:40 AM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why do you think it traded hands so many times? To me means somebody knows more about this bomb than you do.

I agree with the others; this has a high probability of being a money pit.

Quick Reply: Write-off 993 with questionable tranny ok to buy?