Sponsored by:

Fuel Lid Cable Problem????

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 11:31 AM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Fuel Lid Cable Problem????

Since spring finally sprung here in the NE yesterday, I took my car out for a top down spin. I stopped to get gas and when I pulled on the release lever for the fuel lid, the lid opened but **** came back several inches. At the time I didn't look at it too closely, got my gas and went on my way. This morning I took a look at it, and what happened is, whatever secures the cable on the lid end let go. I can see the cable end through the lid/fender gap and it appears to be intact. Hopefully there is a trick to open the lid with a small screwdriver or something. Since it looks like this design has been used for may years, I would imagine someone has had this happen to them (couldn't find a posting in the archives). Any of you 911 fuel lid savvy people out there know what the trick is to open the fuel lid door? At least I have a full tank of gas. This would be a real hassle if someone was doing a cross country trip!!!

Thanks for any help!

Shawn
Old 04-10-2005, 09:44 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 128 Posts

This is a fun problem. There is a little cylindrical "dohicky" with a hole for the cable and a bolt threaded along the axis of it. Usually what happens is that the bolt gets loose and the cable pulls partly though the hole. If it pulls all the way through, AFAIK, you have to remove the fender to correct the problem. The alternative is to remove the fender liner, pull back the rubber boot that catches spilled fuel, and use a screw driver to release the latch. The problem is that the rubber boot is really difficult to reseat without removing the fender.

I hope another Rennlister has a more simple solution. I am going out to my garage right now to take a look for another way.

I am wondering if a really stout piece of wire in an L shape could be used to release the catch though the gap. Remember, the lid has tension on it, so it needs to be slightly depressed to release the catch any other way than the cable.
Old 04-10-2005, 09:57 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Okay. Disregard what I just said. I apparently was thinking about my 79 SC and 87 cab. The 993 has a hard plastic liner, with no way to get to it from below. It seems that with a stiff piece of wire, you should be able to pull the catch back though the gap around the fuel door. I would mask around this area to ensure there is no paint damage. It would be really helpful if you could look at another 993 so you could visualize what you are trying to do. Hope this helps.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:58 PM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks Tom,

I'll give the wire trick a try. I just need to find the right diameter and stiffness. I visual would be nice also but I think with enough fishing around it should not be too bad. Sure hope I don't have to remove the fender just for this. Like I said, this would be a real problem if you were out on the road. Once I get this thing open, I'll certainly post a warning.

Shawn
Old 04-11-2005, 10:06 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll post a pic when I get home in a few hours if no one else does of the gas cap detail.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:53 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Shawn,

Hope these help. My gas cap cover is removed in these pics... you're lucky as the painter has the exterior panel of so he can try and match the paint.

Gas cap mechanism...
Attached Images  
Old 04-11-2005, 11:55 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

a pic of the latch you're trying to get to...
Attached Images  
Old 04-11-2005, 11:56 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

gas cap open...
Attached Images  
Old 04-12-2005, 12:01 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

pry here to open... and offending screw that must have come loose. Reminds me... I better check mine.

Frankly, I think you will have a very dificult time opening the latch if you go in from the lid gap. That latch takes a pretty hefty tug to get it open with the screwdriver shown.

good luck... wish you the best!!
Attached Images   
Old 04-12-2005, 01:37 AM
rkass
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kelly, if that isn't the finest example of helping a rennlister out - first you destroy your car, and second you post it for him to fix his with. You have outdone yourself. Allright, just joking. Same thing happened with trunk release to me on prior car - nightmare to fix.
Old 04-12-2005, 01:44 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

rkass,

just trying to help him out before he runs out of gas... that would suck!!
Old 04-12-2005, 02:19 AM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll go along with Tom F. When my cable broke on my old '76 911 I opened the lid with a piece of thick fishing line about 12-18"' long. Grab each end firmly, then run the center down the back end of the lid. Then pull each end of the line directly forward (paralled to the front fender). The center of the line will pull back on the latch and open the lid.

I tend to doubt that the lid and cable design has changed from my '76.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:28 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Ray, the fishing line idea is a great one. Maybe a moderately stiff wire would do the trick. I am thinking that a piece of picture hanging wire...

Actually I was surprised to see that the design is totally changed from the earlier cars. I never really paid attention. The latch, cable-securing mechanism and the overspill "boot" are completely different.

I am going to check my cable today to make sure the end is screwed on tight.
Old 04-12-2005, 03:15 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ray,

Agreed, the fishing line idea is great! I was trying to think of ways to get in there for him to trip the latch, but couldn't come up with anything to help. The fishing line is excellent cause it's bendable and it also wont scratch the paint while maneuvering under the lid.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:00 PM
ibdavid
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Kelly, you da man!!

Quick Reply: Fuel Lid Cable Problem????