Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Lost My Front License Plate - Is there a better way to mount the front plate?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 07:05 PM
Labatt
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SCMomentum
I don't like plates on the front of the car and the idea of keeping one in the car with a broken plate holder sounds like a great idea.
That's what I do... my mount point for my front plate is right next the the front passenger seat

When I park in a public lot or on the street I throw it in the front window. I have no idea if that will help or not.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:12 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by grmnxtc
Just to add... the way it mounts up and under the front bumper, if you removed the whole thing, then you'd never be able to notice it had ever been fitted. Only if you get on the floor and look up, and then see two small holes on the underside.

My car came with no front plate, but did have a new front bumper without the holes for the plate mount. Seemed a shame to drill into the front, when this thing is neat, tidy and unobtrusively mounted.

Keeps me "legal" too...

Clive.
So this requires drilling into the underside of the front bumper, correct? Is it anchored into the steel bumper structure behing the plastic bumper cover, or is the bumper cover the only thing supporting it??

Thanks
Old 04-04-2005, 07:29 PM
grmnxtc
Pro

David,

IIRC it mounts to the underside of the plastic bumper cover... I'll have to double check when I get home...and yes, two holes drilled into the plastic (IIRC!)

Even though it sounds "risky" mounting to the plastic, I've not had problems so far, and it's had more than a few scrapes on parking blocks and ramps into driveways all with no issue!

I guess it helps that the plastic has some "give" or "flex" rather than being a fixed structural mount point.

I'm a happy customer anyway....

Clive.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:43 PM
Dr. No
Race Director

Received 403 Likes on 302 Posts

Slightly OT, but has anyone tried the European-looking plates in front? They look like custom jobs that have your state license number but on a longer, narrower plate that looks like an EU plate. I've seen them on a couple of cars and they look better, but don't know if they keep the metermaids away.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:27 PM
grmnxtc
Pro

Might look better, but still non-conformant to CA plate rules (and subject to a ticket)

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d03/vc4852.htm

Clive.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:30 PM
Dr. No
Race Director

Received 403 Likes on 302 Posts

Might look better, but still non-conformant to CA plate rules (and subject to a ticket)

Clive.

Should have known.
Old 04-05-2005, 06:22 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Clive.
I was also thinking of relocating the license plate behind the central opening (I have steel mesh grills in the vents on my TT bumper so you can see the plate through the opening) but I thought I read somewhere that it was illegal to have anything covering a license plate in California.
Old 04-05-2005, 06:48 AM
delanobe
Three Wheelin'

Received 220 Likes on 105 Posts

Why don't you use a decal?
Old 04-05-2005, 09:36 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by delanobe
Why don't you use a decal?
Unfortunately that's not permitted in California unless you use one that is issued by the DMV
Old 04-05-2005, 01:01 PM
grmnxtc
Pro

As promised, here's a couple of close up shots of the mount. Two screws up into the underside of the plastic and two of those "Y separating" mounts to hold them in place.

This thing is held fast when I try and tug at the plate... Gotta be some serious force to get it out.

Hope that it helps those deciding if it's worth it. (I think so!)

Clive.
Attached Images   
Old 04-06-2005, 01:12 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

As promised, here's a couple of close up shots of the mount. Two screws up into the underside of the plastic and two of those "Y separating" mounts to hold them in place.

This thing is held fast when I try and tug at the plate... Gotta be some serious force to get it out.

Hope that it helps those deciding if it's worth it. (I think so!)

Clive.
Clive - thanks for the pics...very helpful. are those sheet metal screws or are they bolts with nuts fastened from inside the bumper? I assume it's the former.

thanks again,
Old 04-06-2005, 10:42 AM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just mounted mine. Looks cool from the side as well.

Old 04-06-2005, 10:55 AM
upshift
Advanced

David,
The plates mount with #10 stainless-steel sheet-metal screws and beneath the plate bracket is a u-nut. This u shaped nut is about ¾” square and slides over the bumper lip for reinforcement. So the screws actually go through the plate, through one side of the nut, through the bumper and then fasten to the u- nuts on the far side.

There is no loose hardware on the far side so it completely installs from one direction.

Thanks for the pictures you guys. I may need to "borrow" them.

Jef
Old 04-06-2005, 11:30 AM
grmnxtc
Pro

Upshift,

Send me a PM with your email and what pictures you want... The originals are 5MP so there's room for a little more "closeup" if you need it.

Great product!

Clive.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:55 AM
rainmn
Instructor

Thanks for all the pics....I'm sold. Guess I'll need some bumperplugs now too...

Quick Reply: Lost My Front License Plate - Is there a better way to mount the front plate?