993 Forum 1995-1998

Colour Change

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 01:31 PM
Russ8
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Colour Change

Anybody have any opinions on colour changes, and how values are affected. Zenith Blue - Speed Yellow.
Old 04-02-2005, 01:58 PM
StatmanDesigns
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You would be MUCH better off selling your current car and buying a speed yellow one. Even if you paid a huge premium for it, it would still be more economical than paying for a complete color change and then having a car worth much less because of it.

I would NEVER purchase a used 993 (or any other car) that had a complete color change. I guess if it was 50% of retail for a non-color changed car then I might consider it for a track car and beat the crap out of it.

Just MNSHO,
Old 04-02-2005, 02:23 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 984 Likes on 510 Posts

Dan,
Please repaint your car and then give me a call.
Old 04-02-2005, 02:32 PM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

it is very common with the "older" Porches to see them with complete color changes. Guess what, our 993's are getting old! it may be smarter to sell yours and get a SY car, but if you've done a bunch of work and are happy with your car, go for it! I would document the work and not look back. Just my .02
Old 04-02-2005, 03:25 PM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

The complexity of a color change is enormous. If you want to do it right you need to disassemble the entire car unless you want a yellow car with a blue engine compartment, trunk or other areas. Even disassebled the prep would be tedious to get it right. In truth, it wouldn't be right. It would also be incredibly expensive and you would never get it back. Depends what you are willing to live with. Personally, I wouldn't touch a repaint, I couldn't live with it. IMO, if the color is that important, you would be MUCH better off selling and finding a car with the color you really want. You could sell your car, add the $10,000 or so it would take to do a proper color change and get an original beauty.
Old 04-02-2005, 09:56 PM
faster
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Russ8, Please dont do that!!!!, i will guarantee it will never be right...ever!!!. to do it correctly it is also obnoxiously expensive because of the intense labor invovled,... all glass removed, front fenders, doors, trim pieces, both hoods, ALL rubber seals, sunroof and headliner removed, latching hardware, etc etc. etc, plus new rubbergaskets for all the glass for reassembly. it goes on and on. not to mention your nausea when the yellow gets a stone chip down far enogh to remind what color it used to be sell it or trade it, buy yourself a factory painted yellow car, for quality and resale.
Old 04-02-2005, 09:57 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do a search! 993rs...did this about 2yrs ago?...complete repaint from silver to yellow I think????...
Old 04-03-2005, 03:52 AM
DrZ
Racer

Yeah maybe so, but as they say "Two wrongs don't make a right!"
Old 04-03-2005, 04:55 AM
Johnny_B
Instructor

I too am looking at a complete color change going from GP White to Polar Silver. Quote from the local shop that does all the work for Brumos is $6k. That includes painting everything that is currently white in the car - including removing gaskets, seals, trim, glass, etc...Shop is willing to guarantee the work for 5 years and has examples of other 911s it has done on site. Absolutely perfect jobs.

In my case I think it is worth it because my 993 had been completely re-sprayed a few years back improperly by a previous owner after replacing the bonnet and front right fender (heavy tools and a shelf in the garage fell on it!). Then it was clear coated - something I was told they did not do at the factory. The clear coat is peeling from some areas inside the crooks and crannys. I am looking at a repaint no matter what so I figure I should go with a color I really want...
Old 04-03-2005, 08:34 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Will never be perfect even with windows out respray.

Unless you have money to burn... I'd take any of the above suggs particularly the one of paying a big premium to get the color you want. IMO.
Old 04-03-2005, 09:20 AM
Harold
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 9 Posts

Respray requires engine out, fuel tank out, interior out at the very least if you want to make it all look original. If the paint is getting tired and needs a respray, anyway, then I may well consider a change of colour. However, I wouldnt do a major "all parts out respray". Personally I would opt to just spray the external panels of the car that are visible and document this well. That way when you next sell the car it will be relatively easy for the next owner to set it back to original if they want. Note that I my 964 was originally diamond blue, resprayed by previous owner to polar silver then when I purchased it I resprayed it to the original diamond blue- was a bit of work involved as the guy did a half job previously... its documented under http://members.rennlist.com/complete964
Old 04-04-2005, 09:49 AM
joolsbourne
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't listen to 'em. One less Zentih blue car makes mine rarer.
I say go for it kiddo. So what if you can never sell it, it never looks right and the car isn't original.
Go for it!!!!!
PS. How could you ever think of changing the most perfect colour for a 993??????

Last edited by joolsbourne; 04-04-2005 at 10:59 AM.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:56 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Fill
do a search! 993rs...did this about 2yrs ago?...complete repaint from silver to yellow I think????...
Fill is right, Phil (not Fill, but Phil, aka 993RS) did it and did it pretty extensively, it was not a cheapo job.

Quick Reply: Colour Change