chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by hdemas
Arwin:

Depends on how seriously you are taking it, of course, but autocrossing is generally much easier on the car than DE or track driving, with the sole exception I can think of being tires, where it can be hard on them (along with some of the suspension links). Of course, driving on the track isn't exactly easy on the tires or the suspension, so it is really more a case of them being in the same range of taxing on the car. As for the engine and the brakes, autocrossing is very easy on them compared to driving on the track. Autocrossing involves only short bursts of power and braking from only modest speeds, where driving on the track involves sustained full throttle, high load acceleration and heavy braking from high speeds, which is much harder on the engine and brakes.
Like mentioned above. For autoxing, I keep OEM pads on the car as the brakes never get hot, heck, some autox tracks dont require more than a few taps of the brake pedal. However. autox is tough on tires, considering the very limited run-time they see.
Also mentioned above, not much wear on the gearbox or engine as there isnt much shifting and one rarely see speeds or more than 70mph. Just short bursts of full throttle and virtually no aero-loading of the engine for long periods as a track event or DE would produce.

Bummer part is, I enjoy both track and autox events. Both are different in their own disipline. Autox involves a lot of quick thinking, and technical, for the lack of a better word, driving. Much like off-road Trials riding vs. motoGP on a motorcycle. Saturday, we had 5 laps in the AM session, and ALL 5 were timed, meaning no practice laps. So you have to jump-in with both feet and memorize the track. Always making mental notes of what to do better on the next lap..

Track driving does involve a lot of quick thinking, but rewards a more graceful, smooth, and deliberate driving style. Car placement also important, obviously. Big speeds, passing and many great opportunities to get on those brakes are a few of the things I love about track events. Also, you have more time to work yourself-up to good lap times as there is a lot more at stake having a spin on track vs. a parking lot full of cones.

Quick Reply: RS Motor Mount review (for KKIM)