Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What could be the downside of chipping/flash software upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 11:13 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default What could be the downside of chipping/flash software upgrade?

In doing some research, it would seem that a chip or software upgrade for the 98 993 S would cost about $1k and add approx 15-20hp. It would also seem that companies like POWERCHIP or RENNSPORT SYSTEMS (Rennlist Sponsor) are pretty conservative with their approach, guaranteeing no unreasonable wear on the engine, transmission, components, etc. Basically, the claim is that the engine comes from the factory "de-tuned" to accomodate varying gas octane levels, driver abuse, etc. By adding a chip or software upgrade, the tuner is essentially tapping into the full stock, OEM engine capabilities (oversimplifying a bit)...

Is the cost the only downside of this approach? Maybe its just me, but $1k doesnt sound too unreasonable to get our cars to 300hp+

What is the catch here?
Old 03-27-2005, 11:37 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I spent a lot of time on this prior to buying my Rennsport chip. Now, after several months of use, I can honestly say I don't know what the downside could possibly be. I think the closest problem could be the increase in the rpms at the top end but it's really only 300-400 rpm so it certainly isn't overly stressing anything. It really does feel and drive like a better "tuned" car as you say. Because it gives you more at the top, there is less lag after shifting. I've also noticed that there's more pull even at the lower end of 4th/5th.

If you've spent some time talking to Steve W., you will quickly realize that he knows what he's doing and certainly wouldn't do anything that he thought was short/long-term detrimental (definitely not a fan of the supercharger).

Last edited by PedroNole; 03-28-2005 at 09:05 AM.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:05 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Peter:

FWIW,... I do not change the rev limiter unless LOTS of internal modifications are done. Its at 6750 RPM and thats safe with stock rod bolts.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:17 AM
pjc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Insurance?

PJC
Old 03-28-2005, 08:54 AM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pjc
Insurance?

PJC
Don't its possible for any insurer to detect the difference. At least not the Rennsport's reflash. I haven't found a downside in a year of use. Plus, no CEL triggers in my OBDII.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:02 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Steve, I sent you an email about this...

thanks.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:06 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Steve-

My bad on the description. It "feels" like 300-400 rpm because the top end of 1st and 2nd are MUCH smoother. How's that
Old 03-28-2005, 12:15 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

i just dont understand why every member of this board wouldnt have this modification done if it is a simple, safe, relatively inexpensive way to add approx 15hp.... (?)
Old 03-28-2005, 12:35 PM
mborkow
Drifting

"i just dont understand why every member of this board wouldnt have this modification done if it is a simple, safe, relatively inexpensive way to add approx 15hp.... (?)"
now you've got me thinking about this as well!
Old 03-28-2005, 12:58 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
i just dont understand why every member of this board wouldnt have this modification done if it is a simple, safe, relatively inexpensive way to add approx 15hp.... (?)
Agreed, but then again, I don't understand why everyone doesn't have a cabriolet either....to each his own. That said, the '96-'98 chipping process is a lot more money than the '95's
Old 03-28-2005, 01:07 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by PedroNole
Agreed, but then again, I don't understand why everyone doesn't have a cabriolet either....to each his own. That said, the '96-'98 chipping process is a lot more money than the '95's
looks like it is about $1k. Thats always a lot of money, but steering wheels for these cars can cost that....and while I undertand "to each his own", I suspect that EVERYONE would be interested in "cheap", safe, additional hp
Old 03-28-2005, 01:13 PM
mborkow
Drifting

"Plus, no CEL triggers in my OBDII"
are you saying that you had the software reprogrammed so that no CEL light would be tripped (even the SAI port sensor gets tripped)? if so, then reprprogramming the software would be an economical way to fix the SAI/CEL problem...
Old 03-28-2005, 01:25 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mborkow
"Plus, no CEL triggers in my OBDII"
are you saying that you had the software reprogrammed so that no CEL light would be tripped (even the SAI port sensor gets tripped)? if so, then reprprogramming the software would be an economical way to fix the SAI/CEL problem...
Not sure about that. What I meant is that Rennsport's reflash never triggered a CEL like some of the other tuners. I can't speak specifically to other tuners' reflashes but some have been notorious for triggering CELS in OBDII cars.
Old 03-28-2005, 01:49 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Reflashing for 96 cars is even more than 1k. You need to provide a 97-98 DME plus have the reprogramming done. If it were only 1k to me, it would have already be done in my car, through Steve.
Old 03-28-2005, 06:05 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by mborkow
if so, then reprprogramming the software would be an economical way to fix the SAI/CEL problem...
The EPA fines start somewhere around $13k per car and can be as high as $30k if you sell a product that disables OBD2 emissions equipment. I have the EPA warning letter here, somewhere. I will look for it and post it. Your definitely right it is/would be a great way to solve the SAI CEL problem.

Quick Reply: What could be the downside of chipping/flash software upgrade?