Old 03-24-2005, 04:10 PM
Cooter
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by STAR57
Lets have pictures and Price
ASAP
FF
Who cares - whatever the price, it'll be in Turbo territory and I'd rather have a well sorted TT over that dry rot 4S anyday
Old 03-24-2005, 04:18 PM
hddude
Racer

Default I drive mine daily but the commute is much less...

than 30 miles each way. I guess my car is doomed and I'd better stop driving it.

Last edited by hddude; 03-24-2005 at 04:19 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-24-2005, 04:30 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts

Cooter (and others)

Give Bill a break, will ya? Sounds like a beautiful car and if he wants to drive it 1300 miles in a hundred years, what's it to you? He was politely inquiring about selling his car, not asking for a rash of crap from you (and others). Geez.

On the mechanical side, if the car is properly stored properly (as Bill claims in a heated and air conditioned garage) and driven occassionally, there is unlikely to be any leakage problems. At the most you might have some seepage from a valve cover gasket.

And what's up with the piston rings not being seated at 10,000 miles? You got me laughing with that one - so, say an average speed of 45 mph over 10,000 miles, that's about 225 hours of operation. Any engine manufacturer will tell you that if piston rings are going to seat EVER, it will be in the first 25 to 50 hours of operation. BTW, the two largest manufacturers of flat six, air cooled piston engines in the world (Lycoming and Continental) say 25 to 50 hours max.

If I was looking for a 'perfect' 993, I'd buy Bill's car in a heartbeat. It's a brand new '97 993.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:34 PM
Cooter
Advanced

Originally Posted by hddude
than 30 miles each way. I guess my car is doomed and I'd better stop driving it.
And I assume your car has 1300 miles on it, too. In that case, yes, stop driving it and I'll come take it off your hands for you immediatly and drove the $hit out of it.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:45 PM
Cooter
Advanced

Originally Posted by mike cap
BTW, the two largest manufacturers of flat six, air cooled piston engines in the world (Lycoming and Continental) say 25 to 50 hours max.
Right, becasue aviation engines and street car engines are identical...

I just spoke to my rep at Porsche Motorsports and he said I can turn the wing upside down on our GT-3 Cup Cars and they can do wheelies in reverse, but he said they cannot fly.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:52 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cooter
Right, becasue aviation engines and street car engines are identical...

I just spoke to my rep at Porsche Motorsports and he said I can turn the wing upside down on our GT-3 Cup Cars and they can do wheelies in reverse, but he said they cannot fly.
Gee, and I thought you sounded like an idiot earlier. Now I'm really impressed.
Old 03-24-2005, 05:11 PM
Evan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mike cap
Gee, and I thought you sounded like an idiot earlier. Now I'm really impressed.
Yea Ha....
Old 03-24-2005, 05:11 PM
stedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Gentlemen

Don't get personal, please. I don't know squat about whether 1300 miles is really good or bad and how storage affected this particular car, and, frankly, neither do you. A guy asks for advice or wants to sell his car (and obviously has had other Pcars), so either help him or don't. But why attack him or his car? Just no need.
Old 03-24-2005, 05:18 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Evan,

A man of few words, as always.

Thanks again for the SB. I think I will fill those cavities the next time the car goes into storage - I'm done with my winter projects now and am waiting for the roads to have the salt washed off and potholes fixed. What a mess.

I did buy a replacement (black) spoiler grill and am having it painted to match the AR body color. I'll post a picture. I saw that a few guys here had done this and it looks sharp and blends in better.

Talk soon.
Old 03-24-2005, 05:21 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I remember that my 993 street car had a distinct change once it hit 6-7k miles. The car loosened up and revved more freely. Also proper excercise at DE events helped as well.
Old 03-24-2005, 05:36 PM
Cooter
Advanced

Mike -
Are you an a$$hole to everyone on the boards ? Let me ask you something...Do you base your opinions of piston ring seating times on experience as a mechanic or just from what aviation sales reps tell you ?
I've worked for Porsche Motorsports in Santa Ana, Ca performing engine building, preparation and sales for race teams, I've worked for numerous race teams, instructed for Skip Barber, Bob Bondurant, Jim Russell and driven professionally for years.
So you own an airplane.
Does that qualify you to call me an idiot ? No wonder so much dis-information is circulated on these boards, thanks to jerks like you likening airplane motors to street car motors. Sorry to break it to you pal, but they ain't.
And for your information, the piston rings in a Cup Car are developed to seat within the first hour of operation, becasue the motor is only good for 70-80hrs. A stock 993 ring is made to last for 300,000 miles - don't you think the seat time is a bit more for a street car ?
Old 03-24-2005, 05:42 PM
EThec
Racer

Whoa fellas! ..........opinions are allowed and senses of humor should be mandatory (Mike). Personally I want to see a GT3 do a wheelie in reverse.

I'd like to know what Bill wants for the car?

If it's anywhere near TT territory I'd rather have a TT. No bias here....
Old 03-24-2005, 05:50 PM
Cooter
Advanced

Mike - the following quote (by Steve Weiner) was taken from this thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ht=piston+ring

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Seating the rings will be your biggest objective here to achieve the best ring seal (peak power) and lowest oil consumption. To do this, you will need to constantly vary the engine RPM for the first 3K to 4K miles and not go over 5500 RPM for the first 1K.

The way to help the rings to seat is by using wide-open throttle from low RPM 2500 RPM to your temporary "redline"; 5500 RPM. This generates the high cylinder and ring pressures that forces the rings against the cylinder wall to help them conform to the cylinder wall shape and finish. Follow these accelerations by immediately releasing the throttle and coasting back down to 2500. This creates a high vacuum in the cylinder that pulls oil vapor up from below the piston to cool and lubricate the rings and cylinder walls.

I do this several times a day during this time, and the whole key is to never get the engine really hot....

When the oil consumption stabilizes around 4K to 5K miles, the rings are seated and you start to get peak torque. This is when you see the best leakdown numbers, too.
Now, depending on usage, rings can become fully seated anywhere from 5-15k miles. As Greg stated above, after 6-7k miles he noticed a difference. His seat time was less because of "proper excercise at DE events..." Under normal street driving, it's not uncommon for ring seating in a stock 993 motor to last as long as 10-15k miles.

My apologies to the board for making this personal, but I don't like being called an idiot.
I rest my case.
Old 03-24-2005, 06:54 PM
mborkow
Drifting

"A stock 993 ring is made to last for 300,000 miles"
if only the rest of the 993 were engineered to last as long as the piston ring ;-)
Old 03-24-2005, 09:04 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cooter
Mike -
Are you an a$$hole to everyone on the boards ? Let me ask you something...Do you base your opinions of piston ring seating times on experience as a mechanic or just from what aviation sales reps tell you ?
I've worked for Porsche Motorsports in Santa Ana, Ca performing engine building, preparation and sales for race teams, I've worked for numerous race teams, instructed for Skip Barber, Bob Bondurant, Jim Russell and driven professionally for years.
So you own an airplane.
Does that qualify you to call me an idiot ? No wonder so much dis-information is circulated on these boards, thanks to jerks like you likening airplane motors to street car motors. Sorry to break it to you pal, but they ain't.
And for your information, the piston rings in a Cup Car are developed to seat within the first hour of operation, becasue the motor is only good for 70-80hrs. A stock 993 ring is made to last for 300,000 miles - don't you think the seat time is a bit more for a street car ?
Now, now Cooter - is that any way to talk to people? I haven't seen such attacks since Agro was banned from here. Regardless, when did you teach for those schools (and where in the case of Skippy)? I know a bunch of guys that have taught for them so you probably know each other. How about you identify yourself with your real name and we can see if there are some of your old racing friends that want to catch up with you.

Quick Reply: 1997 C4S For Sale