Sponsored by:

Stumped by radio removal...Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 01:28 PM
Luis A.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Stumped by radio removal...Help!

DOH! I can't believe I'm stumped by this as I've done it before but this one isn't budging.

I have the special keys (from the Porsche dealer, no less!... $4) the left one engages and I can pull that side of the radio but I've now spent 2 hours trying to enagage the right one and it just won't. It slides in latches lightly onto the clip but not enough to grab it. I removed the glovebox to be able to push really hard from the back, when the key is in place (in case it's not latching but it's releasing the 'lock') but it doen't budge. Any ideas?! This is driving me nuts.
Old 03-19-2005, 02:08 PM
Luis A.
Addict
Rennlist Member

OK, I'm going to answer my own question. I'll post pictures later as this is worth documenting for the archives. I got my head down in the floor and looked up behind the radio. The right side clip was seemingly overextended and the key was not latching on to it so I pushed it back in with a long flat blade screwdriver, went back to the front with the key and this time it latched pulling the radio out. Thanks anyway...
Old 03-20-2005, 08:59 AM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 107 Posts

Glad to hear ir worked out. How did you get the glove box out? I've taken out 7 screws - and the door is still hanging on by it's tether. I cant get it out!! (Im in the middle of a traffic pro install)
Old 03-20-2005, 10:55 AM
Luis A.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rich,

The glove box stumped me for while as well. After you remove all the screws that secure the interior liner, the hinge screws on the outside, and the light switch, the left side door support comes easily but the right one remains trapped. That's the side that provides friction and a stop. I tried loosening the screw that secures the stop to the metal structure but didn't make it any easier. I finally just pulled/yanked the right support right off. Make sure the hook end of the right door support is somewhat inside the stop such that the hook is not caught as it is at the end of its travel. and then just pull it straight out; I think it's just a friction-fit part and it also catches the hook at the end so as long as the hook is not caught, it'll come out. It worked for me.
Old 03-20-2005, 11:00 AM
Luis A.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here's some pics of the mechanism retaining the radio in place. For some reason the metal spring on the right side of my radio was overextended out too far and the key ws unable to catch it. I got my head underneath, looked up and visualized the metal spring such that I could push it into the radio using a long flat blade screwdriver. The spring goes in and naturally springs back out to its normal position (yet not as far out as it was) and that allows the key to function.

Last edited by Luis A.; 03-20-2005 at 03:24 PM.
Old 03-20-2005, 01:19 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 107 Posts

Thanks Luis. After reading your reply - I was able to get the glove box out. Now if I can just get the traffic pro all the way in - I'll be done!!!

Quick Reply: Stumped by radio removal...Help!