Sponsored by:

Let's Start... Rescue 993s

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 08:54 PM
Kigiin
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 390 Posts
Default Let's Start... Rescue 993s

Had a thought during cocktail hour this evening when I think my best… bare with me:

Everybody is looking for a well cared for 993 to buy... one owner, records, no stories, no paint, etc. It's kind of like adoption: I want a newborn with no stories, no issues, a little person I can mold into my own imagine. What about the teenagers?

Well... I suggest, as real 993 enthusiasts, we begin the 993 Rescue Program: adopt an underprivileged 993 that has fallen into disrepair by inattentive, uncaring, unloving owners and restore it to its previous glorious state. Yes, even the wrecked ones! Can there be no nobler feat.

Yes, this will cost money… money better spent on being patient and buying that well maintained and cared for 993…. or God forbid… something with H2O circulating within it. However, I appeal to this board to consider the poor, neglected 993s that has issues and needs physical therapy.

I suggest we provide special “rennlist” recognition (in the form of unconditional support) to those that make the ultimate sacrifice for our beloved 993 and take on this incredible journey.

As I see it, the alternative is to see our cherished 993s slowly, but surely fall into the hands of the unloving. We can make a difference!

Again, just a thought.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:06 PM
rockstjarna
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought one back in January to do just that. It was never in an accident, but had things like an interior was completely worn and 3 of 4 wheels bent How hard is it to avoid a curb????

So far I've given it lots of TLC and one trip to the ER after smashing my finger in a door .

Needs a lot more work, but it's fun. What amazes me is how poorly some owners care for their cars.

Rock.
'97 993 Cab
'04 Boxster S Anniv.

P.S. I did break my finger when I smashed it in the door.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:34 PM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 442 Likes on 241 Posts

Luckily I've never seen a 993 that needs rescuing! Noble cause though
Old 03-18-2005, 09:35 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I just bought my first Porsche about 2 months ago. I have wanted one all my life but I'm a car guy, not a rich guy. After more than 25 years of building every kind of vw, two street rods, a 67 corvette, a 56 chevy, ... you get the idea, I decided it was now or never for the Porsche. I wanted a 97 or 98 tt but that was way out of my price range. I looked for a nice C4S but that would have taken every cent in my car budget.

The car I bought is a 97 C2S. The carfax showed six previous owners. It had no structural damage, no major issues amd the price was right. But it had LOT of minor scratches, a cracked lip, curbed rear wheels, no-tread rear tires, ... . I have spent the 2 months buffing the exterior, cleaning and conditioning the interior, had the wheels fixed, bought tires, got the alarm working, got the aftermarket stereo mess straightened out, and I love this car (tiptronic and all). Next I'm thinking RoW M030 or PSS9s to replace the tired suspension. Consider this one rescued.

And I am a paid Rennlist member. It just doesn't show in my header yet.

Last edited by hoggel; 01-19-2009 at 10:45 PM.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:40 PM
David '96 993
Pro

I haven't even hit happy hour yet (West Coast) and I think that is a terrific idea. Actually, a great way to go is purchase that unloved car and convert it into a track car. You don't want a concours car on the track...ask me why I know...

The unloved car will need go fast parts as part of the restoration and you turn that poor ugly duckling into a fire breathing monster.

I think I need a cocktail to ponder this further
Old 03-18-2005, 10:01 PM
rainmn
Instructor

Sounds like the '95 cab I bought in December. It's not perfect, but I'm getting it as close as I can.
I'm not one to shop for a car for months on end. For one, I enjoy making this car, and others I've owned "Right." Also, I too was at that now or never point. If I would have kept on shopping, there's a good chance I would have talked myself out of it.
It may cost me a little more in the long run, but I don't care. I'm happy with the car I got, and I'm having a lot of fun with it. Just can't wait for cab season to start.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:12 PM
Kigiin
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 390 Posts

Hoggel - Your in the Rescue Club. I travel to SLC four or five times a year... will contact you next time I am in town.... look forward to it.

David - get into a good, dry martini... let us know.

Rainmn, your about as impatient as me... gotta have it now.

All, appreciate the thoughts.

Last edited by Kigiin; 03-18-2005 at 10:13 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-18-2005, 10:47 PM
Ben in Plano, TX
Pro

My 993 was a 2001 rescue - it hadn't been treated well by the PO (2) had a funky smell from a water leak - had been hit in the LF and had a replacement fender on it.

Who cares - it was still the first P-car for me and I couldn't have done better. Since it wasn't pristine I've had no qualms about driving the stink out of it, modifying it, y'all know the deal. I DE it hard, drive it daily, and it's just a flat great car.

I paid $56k for this car in 2001 - have put 35k miles on it - played hard with it - and I bet I could get $45k for it in a second. How good of a deal is that?

Ben

Quick Reply: Let's Start... Rescue 993s