993 Forum 1995-1998

Corner Balancing Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 01:05 AM
rickw51
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corner Balancing Question

I've searched for threads on corner balancing, but have not had the time or the gumption to find the answer to these questions (from me, the neophyte):

What exactly is corner balancing?
Should this routinely be done with alignment for a car which is primarily driven on the street?

My thoughts are on this as I am getting ready to upgrade the car with new springs/shocks.

Thanks in advance for your insights.

Rick
Old 03-16-2005, 01:13 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

In a nutshell, it involves adjusting dampers or shocks to displace an even amount of weight side to side, in a road cars case. Since the 993 has roughly a 40/60% weight split front to back, its typical to have a majority, or 60% of the vehicles weight on the rear tires. Corner balancing, in effect, is balancing axle weight, side to side..
Old 03-16-2005, 01:39 AM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod
In a nutshell, it involves adjusting dampers or shocks to displace an even amount of weight side to side, in a road cars case. Since the 993 has roughly a 40/60% weight split front to back, its typical to have a majority, or 60% of the vehicles weight on the rear tires. Corner balancing, in effect, is balancing axle weight, side to side..
Do you have to be sitting in the driver's seat during the corner balancing process as to get an accurate alignment?
Old 03-16-2005, 01:50 AM
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

Kim is correct... But, if there aren't any weights around, bring a book because you'll be sitting there for a while!!

Note: Cool, I just noticed that this is my 911th post. I may have to just view here for a while!
Old 03-16-2005, 02:06 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Arrwin
Do you have to be sitting in the driver's seat during the corner balancing process as to get an accurate alignment?
There are two schools of thought with this very question. For best results, one should have driver weight in the car. The other aspect is if you typically have a instructor with you, methinks its best to corner balance without driver weight in the car.. Call me stupid.....wait, dont do that
Old 03-16-2005, 04:01 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Chris raises a good point and we always ask the customer how they drive their cars with a passenger and when they are alone.

Most (not all) folks do not push the car real hard with someone else on-board so we usually cornerweight & align the car with the driver's weight in the seat.

Last edited by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems; 03-16-2005 at 01:07 PM.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:31 AM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Interesting thread. I had not ever thought of balancing the car for two occupants. As Steve suggested, I rarely push my car hard when I am with a passenger. Now, for DEs, with an instructor, balancing the car empty makes perfect sense.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:40 AM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does corner balancing result in a height variation from side to side? The reason I ask is because my car currently has the FL fender to ground measurement about 15mm higher than the FL. It is currently on stock suspension, and I'm changing this over to Bilstein HD + RoW M030 in the coming weeks, but I am curious (and perhaps worried) about the current height difference. Could it be the result of the PO doing a corner balance, or maybe it is just set up all wrong?
Old 03-16-2005, 11:51 AM
ScottMellor
Drifting

The corner balance COULD cause a fender height variation. In order to get the car to corner balance, it might not be exactly even.

Some high powered TTs can flex their chassis due to all the torque, I have been told.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:00 PM
911XTC
Advanced

Originally Posted by Paul902
Does corner balancing result in a height variation from side to side? The reason I ask is because my car currently has the FL fender to ground measurement about 15mm higher than the FL. It is currently on stock suspension, and I'm changing this over to Bilstein HD + RoW M030 in the coming weeks, but I am curious (and perhaps worried) about the current height difference. Could it be the result of the PO doing a corner balance, or maybe it is just set up all wrong?
Paul, you shouldn't worry too much about fender height measurements. There is a fair amount of build tolerance in the body assembly. Even after you car is corner balanced fender lip to ground measurements can be off by a considerable amount. Ride height measurements should be taken from the datum points on the chassis.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:03 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 911XTC
Paul, you shouldn't worry too much about fender height measurements. There is a fair amount of build tolerance in the body assembly. Even after you car is corner balanced fender lip to ground measurements can be off by a considerable amount. Ride height measurements should be taken from the datum points on the chassis.
Exactly.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:09 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 911XTC

Greg/911XTC - thanks. I know the datum points you speak of. So, the process would be to install the susp with height according to the datum points, and then corner balance afterwards which could change these heights some amount?
Old 03-16-2005, 12:12 PM
911XTC
Advanced

Originally Posted by rickw51
My thoughts are on this as I am getting ready to upgrade the car with new springs/shocks.

Thanks in advance for your insights.

Rick
Rick, I notice you are in Portland, Or. If you are considering the Bilstien HD/RoW M030 set up this is what I have on my ’96. If you want to try to get together sometime I’ll let you check it out.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:09 PM
rickw51
Instructor

Thanks for the input. 911XTC ... thanks for the offer. Let me know how to get in touch with you.

Rick
Old 03-16-2005, 01:21 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

So is the recommendation to corner balance everytime an alignment is done?

I decided to drive into work today and probably shouldn't of. Hit a HUGE (new) pothole on the front driver's side wheel. I thought for sure the Kinesis rim was bent, but luckily it looked ok. Does this call for an alignment?? The car still seems to track ok.

How does one know when an alignment is needed? Any quick test I can perform to check [before the uneven tire wear]?

Quick Reply: Corner Balancing Question