Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Corner Balancing Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 01:22 PM
911XTC
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rick, if you click on my avatar you will see options to either PM or email me.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:37 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Arrwin
So is the recommendation to corner balance everytime an alignment is done?

I decided to drive into work today and probably shouldn't of. Hit a HUGE (new) pothole on the front driver's side wheel. I thought for sure the Kinesis rim was bent, but luckily it looked ok. Does this call for an alignment?? The car still seems to track ok.

How does one know when an alignment is needed? Any quick test I can perform to check [before the uneven tire wear]?

Corner balance shouldn't need to be done everytime you do an alignment. On my race car we check it everytime to make sure nothing has changed.

More than likely your car is fine if it doesn't drive any different. In my experience the 993 holds its alignment pretty well. If the car isn't then something is wrong and needs to be investigated further.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:46 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Fishman
Corner balance shouldn't need to be done everytime you do an alignment. On my race car we check it everytime to make sure nothing has changed.

More than likely your car is fine if it doesn't drive any different. In my experience the 993 holds its alignment pretty well. If the car isn't then something is wrong and needs to be investigated further.
Thanks Greg....that gives me some piece of mind. Forgot to mention that I am running PSS-9's, but I guess that doesn't matter.

I love this place.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:47 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Fellas,

As we are on the topic, I have just installed the ROW M030 with the US Bilstein HDs, upper strut tie bar. I am assuming that a corner balance and alingment are necessary as the car's geometry has changed. Sometime this season I will also install the larger sway bars, does this mean I will have to do this all over again or do the sways not make a difference. My suspicion is they don't.

thanks,

AG
Old 03-16-2005, 02:04 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Arrwin,
It shouldn't make a difference. Might be worth looking around and making sure everything looks good.

AG,
New suspension=new alignment and cb. New sways do not.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:25 PM
Don Magee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Greg, I seem to recall that the rear sways on most 993s go above the lower contol arm, so wouldn't there be alignment changes if you change the rear sway???
Old 03-16-2005, 02:33 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks Greg
Old 03-16-2005, 02:35 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Don Magee
Greg, I seem to recall that the rear sways on most 993s go above the lower contol arm, so wouldn't there be alignment changes if you change the rear sway???
The sway bar does nothing to affect the alignment. The reason for moving the location of the droplink to swaybar connection is that usually the new suspension gives a lower ride height from stock.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:43 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Arrwin
So is the recommendation to corner balance everytime an alignment is done?

I decided to drive into work today and probably shouldn't of. Hit a HUGE (new) pothole on the front driver's side wheel. I thought for sure the Kinesis rim was bent, but luckily it looked ok. Does this call for an alignment?? The car still seems to track ok.

How does one know when an alignment is needed? Any quick test I can perform to check [before the uneven tire wear]?
Arrwin,

When you slam into a pothole with your baby it is aggravating, isn't it? You're wheel and alignment is probably fine, but if you want to check things out.....

- You may want to pop the front end up on jackstands and take a good look at that FR LH wheel. You can spin it, or have someone spin it and see if it isn't running true from the front and back. A cut-off yardstick or something steady placed near the rim edges as a reference point will help your eye see a problem. Wouldn't hurt to re-check the wheel torques as well.

- Also, or instead, take your car out on a highway that you know to be 'dead nuts' smooth and straight. Get up to a good speed, say 75 mph or faster (faster is better) and check to see if the car is tracking straight with no driver input and if there is any vibration. On a perfect road (any of those in NYS?) the car should track at 75 mph+ hands-free with no vibration at all.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:47 PM
Don Magee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Greg.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:50 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

No problem. If you get the chance to see the rear suspension on a stock car and compare to a lowered one you can see what I mean.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:34 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My car has also a difference, it is like 1/4 of an inch, it was there before the suspension upgrade and is there now as well. Remember that these cars were assembled mostly by hand. These were the last of the "hand buit" 911's. So there are tolerances differences from side to side.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:47 PM
traveller09
Instructor

I am glad this Tread got started I have been thinking about Alignments and Corner Balancing for a while now. I bought my 95 last fall with 9300 miles, I had to replace the tires immediately. Since then I have thought I should get an alignment because I don't think it has ever had one, but wasn't sure about a corner balance.

The car is stock (except for my new RSR's ) and it will be a year or two before I can afford the Motons, would it help to get it Corner Balanced now?
Old 03-16-2005, 05:06 PM
Richard C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

David,

Unfortunately, there is very little adjustment for height in the stock suspension. Just get a really good alignment. Save corner balancing for when you replace the suspension.
Old 03-16-2005, 05:12 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

You actually can corner balance a car with the stock suspension but it takes more work than most shops are willing to do. There are factory "shims" that you can install in the rear suspension and the few threads in the front shocks to make the adjustments.

I never went to this level on my street car but it is possible.

Quick Reply: Corner Balancing Question