Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve Guide Poll

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 05:47 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are welcome. I have a '96 and my guides were replaced at 45K and I'm at 75K now. I'm not sure if they were in spec or not. Al I know is that mine didn't burn any oil before or after the work.

George

Originally Posted by Surfer2001
Thanks George A for that,
I’m using about 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles, and it really bugs me. My 95 does not smoke at all, it just passed Calif. smog with flying colors. She now has 67k, I got it with about 60K and my oil consumption seems stable. Could there be another reason for the oil consumption? The car runs perfect and has no other issues other than using oil. My local shop Hergesheimer’s says not to worry enjoy the car.
Old 03-11-2005, 06:28 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 727 Likes on 357 Posts

George A,
That was extremely informative, thanks for sharing.
We sell a decent amount of 993's in a year, and most buyers are first time Porsche owners. They do their research and hear all the horror stories, and the first question I get is "have the valve guides been replaced?". Based on the data, and the majority of comments here on this topic, it's obvious that the answer is typically NO. True, there are problems out there and those need to be addressed. But for the fact that tens of thousands of 993's were built, my guess is that less than 5% have had real problems.

Our 95 cab has 121k miles on it, uses about 1 quart per 2k miles around town, less when it gets a lot of highway driving. An none of the 993 owners I know of around here have ever had any issues.

Anyway, just my $.02

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 03-11-2005, 06:48 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

One of my favorite reads is the Tech Section of the PCA site. Joel Rieser provides valuable help on this site. However, Joel warns everyone about the valve guide issue. He generally warns everyone to factor the cost of valve guide replacement in the cost of a purchase. He says it every time anyone asks about the reliability, etc of a 993 or 964.

Maybe Joel sees lots of these problems. This may be where the new buyers are getting the information. You do not have to be a member of the PCA to access this section of the PCA site.

I do not have excessive oil consumption either. 45,000 miles.
Old 03-11-2005, 06:57 PM
JohnJL
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about we make it a real poll and add some objectivity...hold on...
Old 03-11-2005, 09:55 PM
Rob993
Rennlist Member

Maybe Joel has got caught in the hesteria and hype. Though he seems like he should know based on the vehicles he's looked at.
But then how many magazines, authors ..etc, who keep mentioning that half the early years 930's were totaled due to "boost" happening in the middle of a turn. Apparently that's supposed to be more urban legend than fact. In reality I have spun vettes dozens of times while pushing hard vs my C4 that rarely let go, under even some very harsh cornering. Can't speak for a C2 however.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:50 PM
SCMomentum
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Joel Reiser is a great source for all things 993....but remember he's just that...a source. I have have spoken to a couple of top notch Porsche mechanics in Southern California and to a one it is both unexplainable as to which vehicles have issues and which don't and completely unpredictable in the same manner. There are so many variables at play in each car that it will remain this way. However, each of them have said that Porsche OEM valve guides are not the greatest. Take it for what it's worth and pay attention to your oil burn/consumption.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:26 PM
LeeR
Racer

Had valve job in 2002, 48K miles, at Beverly Hills Porsche (dealer). They had the car for 11 weeks, cost $9000.

CEL (Cash Evaporation Light) was on. Compression test showed no problem. Leak Down test showed 3 cylinders out of spec.

Just a few weeks before CEL came on, I had car at DE at Willow Springs (big track), pushing it hard all day in 100 degree weather in July, with no problem at all. Instructors commented on how strong car felt.

I think dealer was wrong choice for this, as they charged way more than an independent would have, and treated car like a second class citizen, working on it when they got around to it, hence why it took 11 weeks. I think the dealers give first prority to cars under warranty, rather than older cars.

Did I get hosed?
Old 03-12-2005, 04:07 AM
ksjcorpus
Instructor

very informative george .. nice seeing you after a bit of a hiatus from the board ... i got caught up at work and all the other gazilioin things on my plate. btw after barely getting them on, i pulled off my motons and put on bilistein HD's with M030 -- i may just sell the whole suspension on here or ebay.

i burn a quart every 1200 miles and have done that for 7 years. karim
Old 03-12-2005, 12:30 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LeeR

Did I get hosed?
Uh, sorry to tell you this but yes, most definitely. The thing is, none of these guys actually does the head work. They all send the heads out to a machine shop for that work. I would think for a simple top-end rebuild, it shouldn't cost more than $3k to $5k, the largest variable being whether or not you need new intake or exhaust valves.

For those of you who had work done in LA, do you know where your head work was done? One shop I spoke to said they used Ollies, which I think has a good reputation. Any opinions?

Quick Reply: Valve Guide Poll