Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternative to Porsche's OBD-II laptop?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 10:34 AM
wastintime
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternative to Porsche's OBD-II laptop?

Hey everyone,

question for you... does anyone know if there is an alternative to Porsche's $10,000 laptop to access the OBD-II system in newer Porsches? I've heard from, i guess a source that I don't really trust, that there is no alternative if you want it to access every functions and do more than just read a few fault codes. I noticed pelican sells one or two OBD-II code readers, but I'm not sure what functions they'll access

Also, I find it incredibly hard to believe that no one has come up with a way to use an actual PC laptop with some software and a link and do everything Porsche's laptop did.

If anyone knows anything about this I'd really appreciate any answers.

Thanks,
Andrew
Old 03-05-2005, 11:11 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think your wastin your time looking for this

Have you tried searching this topic?? Do a search and you'll find that short of a Hammer there is very little you can do beyond reading fault codes.
Old 03-05-2005, 11:29 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by David in LA
I think your wastin your time looking for this

Have you tried searching this topic?? Do a search and you'll find that short of a Hammer there is very little you can do beyond reading fault codes.
That is not true...do a search and you'll find that there are various software apps that people use that will show you alot of the sensor readings in addition to resetting codes. Less than $200.00. Get one that at least reads the following:

Engine Load
Timing
Fuel Trim (Both Banks)
O2 voltage (All 4)
MAF
Coolant Temp
Engine Compartment Temp
Old 03-05-2005, 11:40 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
That is not true...do a search and you'll find that there are various software apps that people use that will show you alot of the sensor readings in addition to resetting codes. Less than $200.00. Get one that at least reads the following:

Engine Load
Timing
Fuel Trim (Both Banks)
O2 voltage (All 4)
MAF
Coolant Temp
Engine Compartment Temp
$200 is a lot of money just to do that...btw what coolant temp in the 993 are you referring too IMHO none of the monitoring functions you list are very useful for the money spent.

That's a far cry from something that "does everything the Porsche laptop" does...which is what Andrew is really looking for. He's looking for something that can make adjustments to the Motronic system...having the ability to clear codes is not even close to all that the Hammer can do.

What are some of these programs you refer to? I have yet to come across anything worth buying other than a good $100 OBDII reader.
Old 03-05-2005, 11:45 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

You can buy a standard OBDII scanner which will access ALL the Porsche DME
codes, data, & readiness for less than $100. All vehicles sold in the U.S. starting
in '96 were required to implement the OBDII standards for engine diagnostics.

The problem arises on Porsches when trying to access the other ECUs in the
vehicle, e.g. SRS, ABS, Immobilizer, & etc. That requires the Porsche PST2 or
its' update. There are other "solutions" to an actual Porsche tester other than
the PST2 which some have.

Obviously, for the earlier non-standard OBDI used on the 964, 928, & '95 993,
the Hammer must be used or its' equivalent. John Speake here on Rennlist
provides the "Spanner" for the 928 which functions like the Hammer but only
accesses the 928. Since he has basically 75-90% of the Porsche Hammer's
capabilities, it should be fairly easily to expland it for the 964/993, which he'll
probably do.

Check JDPorsche for John Speake's Spanner.

Last edited by Lorenfb; 03-05-2005 at 12:02 PM.
Old 03-05-2005, 11:57 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
......John Speake here on Rennlist provides the "Spanner" for the 928 which functions like the Hammer but only accesses the 928. Since he has basically 75-90% of the Porsche Hammer's capabilities, it should be fairly easily to expland it for the 964/993, which he'll probably do.
Loren - How much does John charge for the 928 Spanner? I'd be interested in buying a 993 version when he gets around to porting it if the price was reasonable. Thanks!
Old 03-05-2005, 12:03 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

The price is around $500. You need to go to his web site which is on the Sponsors
page of Rennlist, JDPorsche.
Old 03-05-2005, 12:20 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by David in LA
$200 is a lot of money just to do that...btw what coolant temp in the 993 are you referring too IMHO none of the monitoring functions you list are very useful for the money spent.

That's a far cry from something that "does everything the Porsche laptop" does...which is what Andrew is really looking for. He's looking for something that can make adjustments to the Motronic system...having the ability to clear codes is not even close to all that the Hammer can do.

What are some of these programs you refer to? I have yet to come across anything worth buying other than a good $100 OBDII reader.
The question was about readers for "newer" Porsches and they are all water cooled. Secondly, if someone doesn't want to invest $200 in a good scanning software, then they are not serious about the proper turning and operation of their car. This is a must for today's vehicles and the software will work on all car.
Old 03-05-2005, 02:01 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
The question was about readers for "newer" Porsches and they are all water cooled. Secondly, if someone doesn't want to invest $200 in a good scanning software, then they are not serious about the proper turning and operation of their car. This is a must for today's vehicles and the software will work on all car.
Uhh....what forum is this?? I never realized my car was watercooled...

btw, is having a full leather interior really worth mentioning in your sig space?
Old 03-05-2005, 10:53 PM
wastintime
Intermediate

Loren, do you know what any of the ""solutions" to an actual Porsche tester " are? Basically OBD-I is no problem, you just use the bosch hammer, and honestly the hammer works fairly well on reading codes up to '98, but that's about all it can do.

My problem is the PST2 is an antiquated POS in my humble opinion, and it's just not worth it to sink that much money into something limited to reading ECUs... I'd much rather be able to run it off a laptop which is used for many other diagnostic functions. The problem is most software will work with Mercedes or BMWs, but Porsches seem to be a problem. I'd be interested in any of the alternatices that you mentioned, so please let me know.

Andrew
Old 03-05-2005, 10:54 PM
wastintime
Intermediate

btw, this question is also for '95-'97 cars which are not watercooled so...
Old 04-19-2008, 07:48 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Digging this one up from the past...

Just wondering if anyone actually ended up making any kind of software that would emulate a PST2. It would be an interesting project for the enterprising P-car geek.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:36 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

There're now two WIN O/S apps:

1. www.autoenginuity.com - about $250 for OBDII 993s
2. www.durametric.com - about $700 - $800 for OBDI & OBDII 993s
and OBDI 964s

Neither is as powerful as the factory Porsche testers. But for 99% of
what DIYs do, they're more than adequate. These provide more than
generic OBDII scanners allowing access for most/all Porsche ECUs.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:56 AM
ClaesM
Intermediate

Anyone that knows if there is any simpler way of getting the data from the OBD1 port? I assume that a simple pc with freeware and a cable could do the trick? Or is it a special protocol RS422,/485/Modbus that needs to excersised transporting the data?

Quick Reply: Alternative to Porsche's OBD-II laptop?