Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Woo-hoo! No more sloppy shifting for the 993!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 08:56 AM
993 Guy
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Leland Pate
This hasn't been brought up yet...
Is anyone concerned about the added wear and tear potential from installing a short shift kit. I've always been told these things put more stress on internal transmission components; the synchros in particular.

When my gearbox is cold, I get a rough sort of feeling if I don't baby it going into 2nd gear. It's not enough to be called a 'grind', but I can sort of feel it through the shift lever.

I'd be concerned about gearbox wear.
I would imagine that wear would only be an issue if you abuse the "tranny" by not letting it warm up and "power shifting" without concern for syncros or other potential wear. With only a 20% change in throw, I can't see how this would negatively affect the gears, syncros, or anything else for that matter. I may be incorrect since I don't have experience with the SSK so please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 03-05-2005, 10:25 AM
Michael S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

I just bought one of the B&M shifters off of E-Bay... Sorry if any of you guys were bidding on it

I'm out of the country right now, but I'll be home in a few weeks and will try to take some pictures of the install and post my impressions of the kit and its results.

Now to Gert's site to order the 996 carbon shifter I've had my eye on for a long while now!
Old 03-05-2005, 11:30 PM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well the factory kit reduces the throw by 20%, right? If the B&M kit reduces it by ~45%, I'd be a little leary.

Only time will tell.
I still want one though.
Old 03-06-2005, 12:40 AM
nman413
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont see how having a SSK will increase wear and tear. It just shortens the throw. I do not shift briskly until the tranny is all warmed up. The gearbox typically feels a little balky when cold, it's fine when warm.
Old 03-06-2005, 10:03 AM
993 Guy
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by icerbofh
I dont see how having a SSK will increase wear and tear. It just shortens the throw. I do not shift briskly until the tranny is all warmed up. The gearbox typically feels a little balky when cold, it's fine when warm.
Jauder, I'm sure people have commented on this before but you had me LMAO this morning with the descriptions of your cars...

"Lawnmower" & "Ghetto Grocery Getter"

Classic!

Last edited by 993 Guy; 03-06-2005 at 12:26 PM.
Old 03-09-2005, 10:57 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I am a happy shifter... It is mix and match parts. I was using the Gert SSK while the Weltmister SSK sat in the box. I took the Gert "stock P-car SSK out of the car and set them side by side. The Weltmister lever is shorter in height and a sharper angle rearward. I wanted the shorter closer throw and have the **** more rearward. I did not like the Weltmister forward rod with the 'heim' rod ends, they were very stiff in the swivel action. I cut the ball from the original 'stock' lever and welded it on to the Weltmister lever. I am using the stock forward rod adjusted to the shortist length. This will but the **** farther rearward. The **** is at a height that is lower than my knee, and all forward shift positions are in easy reach. Together with the closer throw, this feels perfect for me!!! Best features combined for great action. Yea!!!!!!!

P.S. No dimpeling, etc... smooth movement. Looks great with short height.
Old 03-10-2005, 05:19 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am very happy with Gert's stock SSK off the RS. As others have mentioned it doesn't seem to reduce the throw all that much but I like the extra height (about 1") for easier wheel to shifter hand transition.

Quick Reply: Woo-hoo! No more sloppy shifting for the 993!