Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Woo-hoo! No more sloppy shifting for the 993!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 02:58 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I guess I'm not the only one who thinks the standard shifter on the 993 is vague and longish? I may have to order on of these. Must, Resist, Slope......
Old 03-01-2005, 03:01 PM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by icerbofh
I installed the factory short shift (RS) in my Turbo. There's some swearing involved mostly because I'm slow at installing things and was dropping dirt into my eyes but I'm happy with the results.
Jauder,

Did you have to modify anything underneath the car to make it fit properly ??
I recall a thread indicating that on TT's and C4's the underbody required some "alterations" to make it square up and fit correctly ??
Old 03-01-2005, 03:31 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike W
Not to complicate furthur, but I have heard good things about the FVD short shift (about $149) as an improvement over the factory kit. Anyone using the FVD?
Mike, do you know how it is different from OEM?

I'm asking because when you look at these things (shifter & fork) from OEM, FVD, Schatz Motorsport etc. they look exactly the same.

I'd like to know what's the difference between them or if it's just clever marketing.
Old 03-01-2005, 04:05 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mike cap
If memory serves, the shift **** will end up about 1" higher, which, IMO, puts the shift **** excactly where it needs to be. Less of a reach.

Exactly where mine is.
Old 03-01-2005, 04:11 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

yep that is the question... how do all these short shift kits compare to stock ... which is the best and why? we need a "shift-off" competition
Old 03-01-2005, 05:10 PM
nman413
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes modifications are needed.

1) I cut a hole in the rubber boot below so that the ball can clear. No big deal
2) I dremeled the opening a little so that it slides in easier. The new shift rod does not fit seemlessly. This is optional. Bob says that you can just use a jack to "push" it up into the space.
3) Tunnel cover needs to be worked on to create a dimple.

End result? Worth it IMO.
Old 03-01-2005, 07:07 PM
rkass
Racer

I have a c4s and took console, etc off to put in my short shift kit (2 not 3 piece ) and was unable to install due to shaft tube of 4 wheel drive system. Prevented me from easily installing kit. My mechanic was there and stated he could drop the shaft in order to install but would be a lot of work to do. I know previous posts asked about c4/c4s installs and I presume not that common or others would have chimed in. Is what mechanic telling me true or is there a less cumbersome process to installing kit. I will be having clutch/lwf put in this week so response would be timely. TIA
Old 03-01-2005, 07:15 PM
nman413
Drifting

rkass, search the archives for my install post. You dont need the console off at all. All you have to do is to snap the boot out from the console. Not sure why you have 2 pieces. I had just the shifter itself. I got it installed without having to drop the shaft.
Old 03-01-2005, 07:34 PM
rkass
Racer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks all..
Thanks Icer, I think I found what you were talking about. Still a little unclear on how to do and whether I have correct kit (think I bought from AJ USA, but will have to check). This is excerpt from VIPER BOB to questions re: installing short shift on C4s/turbo. I beleive that I was looking at tunnel cover. Just seemed that my cover was blocking me from taking out shift shaft. Anyway here is VB's post:

Midnight C4S and Arrwin - Yes you can install a short shift kit on a C4S or a Turbo. You will have to dimple the tunnel cover under the car to clear the new shifter. It is a very easy install. The first one I did on a Turbo took about 2 hours. Icerbofh even installed one this last weekend by himself (with a little phone support). I'd say about half the C4Ss that come into the shop already have this done.
Old 03-03-2005, 12:48 AM
J.Ho
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where can one get the OEM kit?

My shop said Porsche is out of them?
Old 03-03-2005, 12:55 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by J.Ho
Where can one get the OEM kit?

My shop said Porsche is out of them?
www.carnewal.com
Old 03-03-2005, 09:47 AM
993 Guy
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
I just ordered mine from Gert yesterday...
Old 03-03-2005, 10:33 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought the OEM for the Carrera RS and have the following review:

1) Stick is about 1" higher but I actually like it. I had read all the posts about cutting it and asked my guy to do it and luckily he convinced me to drive it before I cut it. I'm not cutting it.

2) The claim of 20% less throw is VERY difficult to feel. It does feel better but I think you'd have to have the two side by side and go back and forth to really notice the difference. That said, I had no missed gears at my most recent AX which led me to a class win! The old shifter was always good for a missed gear or two on the runs.

3) Overall, it's one of those modifications that you aren't likely to be "WOW" about...IMHO

Peter
Old 03-03-2005, 11:04 AM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

993 Guy,

Which of the two did you buy. The 75 Euro or the 350 Euro one. Any huge differences?
Old 03-03-2005, 11:06 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought the OEM for the Carrera RS and have the following review:

1) Stick is about 1" higher but I actually like it. I had read all the posts about cutting it and asked my guy to do it and luckily he convinced me to drive it before I cut it. I'm not cutting it.

2) The claim of 20% less throw is VERY difficult to feel. It does feel better but I think you'd have to have the two side by side and go back and forth to really notice the difference. That said, I had no missed gears at my most recent AX which led me to a class win! The old shifter was always good for a missed gear or two on the runs.

3) Overall, it's one of those modifications that you aren't likely to be "WOW" about...IMHO

Peter

Quick Reply: Woo-hoo! No more sloppy shifting for the 993!