Sponsored by:

Faster down shifts - advice from a pro

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 03:06 PM
aam993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks, Edward. It makes sense. I am going to jump on next local chapter autocross event. By the way, are they always timed? That could make a difference for auto insurance company if you are(like me) participate in the event in your street car.
But for now I'm counting days to my next DE(hopefully in March and then in April) where I will learn a little more about the car I have.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:35 PM
deltawedge
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob 97 993c2
One thing he told me was that when downshifting it is best to match revs and while the clutch is depressed and THEN let the clutch out. He said this is opposite to what everyone is told on releasing the clutch as you blip the throttle.
Hadn't ever thought of doing it the way "everyone is told" but I guess it's true about blind squirrels finding acorns .

A side benefit from doing the blip on clutch disengagement, it gives more time for the rpm to rise (with heavy flywheels) so the rpm are matched when the clutch engages. Just another reason to have a LWF...down the slope I go..
Old 02-21-2005, 08:38 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Ray that autox is a great way to learn car control. I disagree that you need to practice rev-matching in an autocross before doing it in DE. I autocrossed for about 1.5 years before doing my first DE and in that time there was only 1 course that actually required a shift (other than the normal 1st to second that we all do at the start). In addition, out here you get a total of 8 runs in a day so there is not much chance to actually practice.

If you don't know how to heel-toe, you are likely a beginning track driver. As such, a DE in the beginner group is a very good place to learn and practice the technique.

Alexander: I've never seen an untimed autox. However, I've never seen an autox where there was any real danger of hurting your car. Orange cones might put a scuff on the paint if you really nail one and if you hit one dead on you can lose your front plate (I've done both), but they are real easy to fix. Autox is a great place to learn to throttle steer, correct mistakes that start a spin, etc. It allows you do learn without hte fear or possibility of really doing damage to your car. A DE carries real risk that mistakes can result in damage (and the risk depends on the track).
Old 02-22-2005, 02:15 AM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

By Tom W: I agree with Ray that autox is a great way to learn car control. I disagree that you need to practice rev-matching in an autocross before doing it in DE.
Good point; didn't mean to imply that need to do autocrosses to learn heel-and toe; I feel it's actually better done on the street till it becomes second nature. However, learning about oversteer and getting a feel for when it starts and how to catch it is best done at an autocross rather than the track. What is best is an autocross school; should give you more driving time than just an autocross.
Old 02-22-2005, 02:28 AM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Those two videos should be viewed together, It's fun watching a skilled driver drive at 10/10 - he saved it a few times. It's sobering watching a skilled driver lose the back end and get t-boned by another car. Lots of $$$$ on that little error.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:19 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fbfisher
Those two videos should be viewed together, It's fun watching a skilled driver drive at 10/10 - he saved it a few times. It's sobering watching a skilled driver lose the back end and get t-boned by another car. Lots of $$$$ on that little error.
Fred, I keep trying to figure out what car he collided with, and where it came from. He passed a GT3 on his left in the straight, then had the inside line on the right-hand turn(#1?). He lost it getting on the gas too soon, or staying in the turn too late with his wheel, or both..., but where did that car come from. Was it the previously passed GT3 passing him on the inside? If so, what was he doing passing on the inside of an "S" turn? The GT3 was silver or white I think, and that appeared to be the color of the other car in the crash. Of the 2 cars that slowed down and passed hm right afterwards, one was also a siler or white GT3 so... Regardless, I wish he would have completed the spin 360 degress so we could have seen whom he hit....
Old 02-22-2005, 11:34 AM
aam993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
He lost it getting on the gas too soon, or staying in the turn too late with his wheel, or both..., but where did that car come from.
I was trying to figure out what caused his spin. I could not see driver's error. Could it be that he was bumped in right rear fender sideways by the white car, which crashed into his right side moments later, and that bump caused spinning?
Old 02-22-2005, 12:30 PM
kev
Darth Cup
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...referrerid=997
Old 02-22-2005, 12:37 PM
aam993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Is this video what Bill Walczak talks about in his post #2 on that thread: "During the first lap of Sprint race I was bumped in the right rear just after the turn in point..."?
Old 02-22-2005, 12:46 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Fred, I keep trying to figure out what car he collided with, and where it came from. He passed a GT3 on his left in the straight, then had the inside line on the right-hand turn(#1?). He lost it getting on the gas too soon, or staying in the turn too late with his wheel, or both..., but where did that car come from. Was it the previously passed GT3 passing him on the inside? If so, what was he doing passing on the inside of an "S" turn? The GT3 was silver or white I think, and that appeared to be the color of the other car in the crash. Of the 2 cars that slowed down and passed hm right afterwards, one was also a siler or white GT3 so... Regardless, I wish he would have completed the spin 360 degress so we could have seen whom he hit....
This is Sebring turn 7 and this was a race not a DE. He went quite hot in ( you can see the smoke from the tire lock I pressume) and you can see it from the line where he almost run out of track...
On a race when you see someone overcooking the turn and leaving the inside door open you take advantage of it.
This was clearly a racing incident, if the car on the video did not snap oversteer like that there would be plenty of room for the other car to pass. Plus on the video you cannot really tell if the car that collided with him was on his tail and you can not see it at all.
Like I said this was a race not a DE. S*** happens unfortunately
Old 02-22-2005, 12:52 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by small
Is this video what Bill Walczak talks about in his post #2 on that thread: "During the first lap of Sprint race I was bumped in the right rear just after the turn in point..."?
No...
There were many incidents unfortunately at Sebring this year with some people pulling bonehead moves and leading to accidents which were not necessary ( ask me how I know ).
In this video at least from what I see it is not the case.
Old 02-22-2005, 02:40 PM
kingleh
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by small
I was trying to figure out what caused his spin. I could not see driver's error.
I wasnt bumped. In the video you can see literaly a pile of dirt on the track. I went in to hot and locked up a little. Coming out went wide and back left tire rolled right over the dirt causesing the car to step out very quikly. I didnt see the dirt. I wish i would have. Im not tyring to come up with a lame racer excuse just saying what happend...... as a driver you are suposed to be aware of all the obsticals on the corse like the bumps in turn 17 and 1 and such. It was just a racing thing.

The car that collected me is the one i pass at the begning of the video.
Old 02-22-2005, 02:56 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks Danny and Kingleh for your helpful responses and clarifications.
Old 02-22-2005, 03:12 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

I personally don't want anyone learning how to control oversteer in front of me at the track even if it is only a DE. A nice wet/snowy/icy parking lot is a good place to start IMHO.

Heal/toe, practice it coming up to red lights in very light/no traffic conditions. I just don't feel it is best to try "brand" new things at the track. I "learned/practiced" left foot braking on some of the great back roads we have here in southern Ohio before I ever tried it at the track.

And no, I wasn't trying anything new when I wrecked. Other than maybe testing the car's ability to go 75 degrees left at 60-70 mph.

BTW, a new avatar is coming soon!
Old 02-22-2005, 04:56 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Woahhh!! Is that guy in the video human???

Quick Reply: Faster down shifts - advice from a pro