993 Forum 1995-1998

Pedro Ice Wax/White Lightening

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 10:36 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 344 Posts
Talking Pedro Ice Wax/White Lightening

I had a horrible squeek in my ffont windshield...I had been, note HAD been, living with the problem for months...why not try Pedro's Ice Wax? Well it was nowhere to be found...so I decided to try White Lightening Chain Lube as an alternative.

Voila, it works, the squeek is gone...I took a 5cc syringe, attached some tubing to the end and injectred it around the windshield,

As Chris Walrod says, "Is this a greeat place or what?
Old 02-19-2005, 11:13 PM
JohnJL
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been using WL on my chain and other joints on my mountainbike for years...its awesome.
Old 02-20-2005, 01:23 AM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you ever have the rope update? Mine is stock from 95 and doesn't have rope in it, will the lube work as well. I get it real bad, but not as bad when its cold.
Old 02-20-2005, 01:33 AM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used some silicon spray. Put it in a syringe and went to work. Wife came out and for a moment thought I was shooting heroin or something. It's been three months and not a peep from the windshield.
Old 02-20-2005, 01:49 AM
Midnight C4S
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm getting a new seal for the windshield from Devek pretty soon, will keep what you all have posted in my head if I have a squeek. Thanks
Old 02-20-2005, 05:47 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
I had a horrible squeek in my ffont windshield...I had been, note HAD been, living with the problem for months...why not try Pedro's Ice Wax? Well it was nowhere to be found...so I decided to try White Lightening Chain Lube as an alternative.
Had a tough time finding it too... eventually got some in Canada at a specialty mountain bike shop. My squeek is gone too.

I think they are competing products; both are meant as chain lubes.
Old 02-20-2005, 08:28 AM
solsrch
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm pretty sure the Performance Bike store chain carries it, that's where I've always bought it. Now, we just need to see about making them a Rennlist sponsor . . .
Old 02-20-2005, 08:44 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Don't mean to burst your bubbles, But careful guys, petroleum products will deteriorate rubber. Maybe not immediate but in the long run, it will degrade, soften and ruin that windshield seal. I would use what porsche recommends, the rope insertion TSB.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:36 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera Mike
Don't mean to burst your bubbles, But careful guys, petroleum products will deteriorate rubber. Maybe not immediate but in the long run, it will degrade, soften and ruin that windshield seal. I would use what porsche recommends, the rope insertion TSB.
the problem is that the rope doesnt cut it. i had the rope installed and my squeaks and rattles at the dash didnt go away...

then i took a butter knife and insterted it into two layers of surgical gloves... after lubbing up the butter knife "finger" incased in the surgical gloves, i ran it along the window shield to lift up the seal as i sprayed silicone underneath the gasket. i have not had a problem since...
Old 02-20-2005, 10:22 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Very timely thread for me. I have a squeak and some silicone spray sitting here. But I've been wondering if I should forego the silicone spray and go buy some Pedros Ice Wax. Sounds like silicone works fine too.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:44 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 905 Likes on 545 Posts

I had a new OEM windshield installed 2 days ago. They knew about the rope, but said Porsche has done an update to the seals such that the rope is no longer necessary. I have to take their word for it, as they are the go-to installer for the local P dealer. Seems to be working ok so far.
Old 02-20-2005, 01:28 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 344 Posts

The White Lightning is a temporary fix...I will be replacing the windshield soon...two nice cracks...at that time I'll add the new seal. I do have the rope kit from Porsche...I just never installed it. I do like the NO Squeek when driving.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:13 AM
delanobe
Three Wheelin'

Received 220 Likes on 105 Posts

What can I buy here in Belgium to get rid of the squeeking?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Pedro Ice Wax/White Lightening