Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idiot #2

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 07:32 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Moorpark is in Ventura County... between Ventura and Simi Valley. I too have spent some time in the San Jose/Santa Cruz area. I used to ive in Cupertino, and my entire family lives in Scotts Valley and Sant Cruz.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:38 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh I love Scotts Valley. Do you remember (or were you even there)........what was it......Santa's Village? That little quazi amusement park type place. I remember when they shut that down....so disappointed. I grew up in SJ and that was the place to go as a kid. When I got older we would hang out in Capitola.....okay I need to stop, I still miss that place after 13 years. I don't know Ventura County, My wife and I almost moved to Riverside Co (Temecula Valley) a few years ago, but decided we were doing to well here to take a chance there, but I do love California.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:52 PM
Sundeep
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"These wheels costed me roughly $6,000"

a classic line.. how rough was that then !!!
Old 02-11-2005, 09:05 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Santa's Village? You bet. I used to take my kids (all grown up now) over there all the time. Big industrial park now... used to be Borland, now Nokia and others. Do you remember "The Mystery Spot" up in the hillside above Santa's Village? Ahhhh.... good times.
Old 02-11-2005, 09:21 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't recall the "spot". I remember they closed and tore down the park for the industrial use. I recall that place used to be absolutely packed every time we'd go by.....Man, if it wasn't so damn expensive there, I'd be back in a heart beat. We've been having really strange weather fluctuations here lately and the other day we had a warm morning but the ocean temp is still cool and we had a marine layer fog come in for two days in a row and it made me think back to those days. Just the smell of the cool fog did it! Santa Cruz came right back to me.......ahhhh

Small world isn't it?
Old 02-12-2005, 10:06 PM
mrhude
Racer

Steve,
Moorpark, CA is fast becoming my favorite place!! I have collected die cast cars for years, however, I just discovered Exoto's!! I just received my 917/30 Porsche Donohue version and the detail is amazing!! It looks like you could just add fuel and oil to start it. Have you ever been to their factory?? They have some amazing products. Our family lived in riverside and I recall going to santa's village also. My ancient memories recall standing under some giant mushrooms and feeding deer. Is this the right place??
I enjoy all of your posts and feel sorry for this old timer.
Mike
Old 02-12-2005, 11:57 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Mike,

I also collect a few diecast cars (nothing too expensive), but I don't get the connection between Moorpark & Exoto. Are they located out here? This is a really small town (~35,000 people), and you'd think I would have discovered them by now. Tell me more!

There was also a Santa's Village up near Lake Arrowhead... I forget the name of the town up there.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:09 AM
Curt911
Pro

might be an internet scam deal...looks similar to the busa scam seen in cycle trader and on ebay
Old 02-13-2005, 12:28 PM
mrhude
Racer

Steve,
Sorry I didn't explain better. Exoto is based in Morrpark, CA. I friend of mine introduced me to Exoto Die cast cars around Christmas time this year. I have about 200 diecast cars of various makes, mostly Maisto and I thought they were great. Once you see the detail and quality of the exoto Cars you'll never go back. They make an entire line of street, formula, Lemans, and recently canam cars. I have been buying a number of them on Ebay as the price is typically better and you can buy some of the cars that have been retired. I just bought a pair of the Porsche 917/30 Donohue versions and you can't believe the detail. It has a full tubular space frame with a fully wired and plumbed chassis. The suspension works and the wheels come off to reveal fully detailed brake rotors and calipers!! I have several of the formula cars, Porsche 910 and 935, the Mercedes Sauder C-9, and several of the Daytona cobras. It looks like you are a Ford fan also so you will appreciate the whole line of GT40's and various Cobras. I took two of my really old fart fords to the Ford 100th anniversary about a year ago. They had the original three GT40's in the same order crossing a recreated finish line at LeMans. The pictures I took at this event verify the authticity and detail Exoto puts into these cars. Go to www.exoto.com and ebay, use "exoto" as the search word. Ebay recently had a 1/2 scale replica of a Ferrari v-12 engine, just in case you needed one for your office, offered for for sale for about $ 6,995.00. Again, you won't believe the detail. Hope you enjoy the web site and hopefully you won't become addicted to these beauties!! Oh to be 1/18 scale!!! Best regards, Mike
Old 02-13-2005, 01:19 PM
mnmblu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have a modest collection of die cast cars and I have found the the best, in a reasonable price range, are the AutoArt. They make the 917 Steve McQueen, Lemans Gulf number 20 car. The detailing on these Autoarts make Maisto and the rest in the popular price range look like a prize you get in a box of cereal. I have a number of AutoArts, like the GT2. Man they are really nicely detailed for the money.

Just checked out exotico, they have some awesome models. It's just these little, simple things that motivate me to MAKE MORE MONEY. Maybe Santa will bring one for me next year, if he is able to find new digs.
Old 02-13-2005, 01:30 PM
mrhude
Racer

Alan,
You're right, I have the Autoart Steve McQueen 917 also and it looks great!! The other brand that I have several of is the UT Brand. Their Porsche replicas are excellent for the money, however, they are out of business. They are still very available at reasonable prices. I have not seen any of the Minichamps brand, however, I have been told that they are also very high quality and well detailed. Sorry if I redirected this thread, it was the Moorpark mention that did it.
Mike
Old 02-13-2005, 01:48 PM
mnmblu
Drifting

I too have many UT's. I think they were owned by AutoArt but stopped making the lesser quaility brand. They were still VERY nice indeed.
Old 02-13-2005, 01:56 PM
mrhude
Racer

Alan,
Beautiful pictures as part of your post, did you take them and how did you attach them as an avatar??
Mike
Old 02-13-2005, 02:18 PM
mnmblu
Drifting

Mike,
Yes they are my "werks". Please feel free to visit my website and take a look at my newest slide show to music, you may like it. It's the red link on the home page, scroll down a bit an click on the link.

If you are referring to the three at the bottom of my Sig. You have to go, lets say, to Imageshack.com hosting service and upload the file, sized properly, then past the link they provide you in your sig area located by clicking on private messages, at the top of this page. When the new page opens look on the left margin and click on edit signature. Then do your pasting of the Imageshack link and save. Viola

Quick Reply: Idiot #2