Sponsored by:

Broken windshield. Sob

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 03:11 PM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wroosche - if it makes you feel any better, there was a recent thread on this , and IIRC the consensus was that the aftermarket glass was less prone to pitting than the factory glass. When it comes time to replace mine, I'll be going the aftermarket route.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:38 PM
chammond
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 1 Post

I had safelite do mine and after 3 visits to my home they totally botched the install up. Glue all over the place, they duct taped the antennae splice, cut my dash when they spiced it together...a real mess. They did use a Sigla (sp?) windshield, pretty expensive ~$900 on the bill.

After I called them to complain, they did to their credit, pay for another shop to re-do the work and fix the slice in the dash. There were no questions asked, they paid for it all.

I would just make sure that whoever comes out from Safelite has done work on these cars just so you don't have to go through what I did.

Good luck!
Old 02-11-2005, 05:10 PM
CAHRERA
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

That was my concern also. Out this way SafeLite of Union City, CA sent out the Field Tech mgr to do my install. He said that for the Higher end cars he does all the installations in his area. He also mentioned that he installed a number of windshields for The Racers Group. As a said before SafeLite replaced my windshield with OEM Sigla glass.

The guy was so careful that since I live kind of close to their shop when he was putting in the glass he was so careful that he called the field mgr to come out and hold the antenna wire for him which I said I would do before he started the installation.
Old 02-11-2005, 06:01 PM
mborkow
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was also worried about safelite so i called a (recommended) local glass guy and go a quote. the difference between the two quotes was a few hundred $, and i told him so. in the end, he was able to work with me a bit and we agreed on a price between the two ($670, as i recall). i would rather pay a little more upfront and know that the workmanship will match the quality of the rest of the car (plus i like supporting smaller local businesses).
Old 02-11-2005, 06:13 PM
rainmn
Instructor

I'm going to do mine in the Spring. My windshield is so pitted that in bright sunlight, I can barely see through it.
Given the choice, I will most definitely go with aftermarket glass, since IMHO, the OEM glass sucks. I've never seen another windshield this pitted, even on cars with far more miles.
Old 02-11-2005, 06:51 PM
kary993
Drifting

Originally Posted by texas911
Do replacements come with the molded in antenna?
yes.
Old 02-12-2005, 12:06 AM
SteveAbrahams
Instructor

Safelite does use Sigla OEM glass. One recommendation though,
when you deal with Safelite get two quotes, one through your
insurance and another for paying cash. We recently replace the
windshield on my daughters Audi and the difference was about half,
$510 through insurance, $270 cash. Install was fine.
Old 02-12-2005, 12:36 AM
914und993
Pro

Safelite did mine about 5 months ago for about $500, using Sigla glass. There is a trick to properly installing it to reduce the likelihood of creaks. The first one creaked a lot. I took it back, they called around to some Porsche 'experts', and they did a reinstall with a new windshield. This one only creaks when you really put some torsional stress on the body.

Chip
Old 02-14-2005, 06:36 PM
wroosche
AutoX

Question

Hi Folks,
Bad news, according to Safelite it’s impossible to find any aftermarket windshield.
No factory produces any glass for our 993. Is it weird? The only option is OEM.??
Anyone has a different idea or source?
Old 02-14-2005, 07:17 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by wroosche
Hi Folks,
Bad news, according to Safelite it’s impossible to find any aftermarket windshield.
No factory produces any glass for our 993. Is it weird? The only option is OEM.??
Anyone has a different idea or source?
Who knows what's going on with Safelite. I was told by them that aftermarket glass is no longer available, a year and a half ago, yet people still seem to be getting $500 windshield replacements. Very strange. When I had mine done, they had to look all over the country to find a piece of glass at that lower price. I'd hate to think that the lousy OEM imported glass is our only option. What junk.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:32 PM
zffnhsn
Rennlist Member

TheRE must be otherS that make glass for the 993, just get out there and google it.

My glass is so pitted I might just have to break down and purchase a new one this year. I keep hoping I'll get it busted on the highway like the three times in six weeks with my 300E. No such luck with the Carrera. Got hit with a golf ball though on the cowl...........DRAT!
Old 02-15-2005, 12:42 AM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Just a couple of tips from experience.
An installer who has never done a 993 before, is not your best choice.
The way she goes in, centers, seals......is not exactly 'typical' of today's windscreens.
Protect your dash........especially if it's leather.
Last time I bought glass, it was avail with & with-out embedded antenna.
Old 02-15-2005, 05:55 AM
delanobe
Three Wheelin'

Received 220 Likes on 105 Posts

Don't go for the cheapest solution, you will regret it later! The PO on my car choosed for it and after 2 years I had a lot of rust in the windshield area because of a bad install.
The install must be perfect and done by real professionals otherweise problems will appear...
A normal price is +/- 950$^

regards
Old 02-15-2005, 12:01 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 129 Posts

I checked with safelite about two years ago and they wanted to charge me $1500 for the windshield. Same answer, they could only get glass from the dealer. I checked with the dealer, told them that I wanted their absolutely lowest price, and they came back at me for $675 installed. It finally started creaking last month. Guess what? I am going to take it back and have them fix it.

Quick Reply: Broken windshield. Sob