Locking lug key worn down

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2005, 04:02 PM
lenticular
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Locking lug key worn down

I was all set for my first DIY oil/filter change on my '95 C2 cab yesterday: tools and parts purchased, car sitting on jackstands for the fiirst time, new worklight and creeper ready to go. Since I can never fix anything without breaking something else first or encountering some sort of obstacle, I was not surprised when I went to remove the locking lug nut as a first step towards removing the tire and felt the socket slip out.

It looks as though the points on the inside of the lug key have been rounded down. It slipped every time I would apply any torque to it. I'm thinking of ditching the locking lug nuts altogether, if I can figure out how to get them off.

Option 1: Just take the thing in to the dealer and let them remove the lugs and provide non-locking replacements.

Option 2: Buy 4 lug nuts, and take it to my tire place to see if they can remove the locking ones. Maybe an impact wrench would do the job. On the other hand, I think that the tire place had something to do with rounding down the key in the first place.

Option 3: I've read about sockets with pins that grip the nut, and have been used to remove locked lugs. Also, scary stories about beating an oversized socket onto the lug, then removing it.

Any other ideas?
Thanks,
John
Old 02-06-2005, 04:20 PM
Chris L
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

If you have the original bag the 'key' came in, there's a code on it. Call McGard (716-662-8980) and they'll get a new key to you in a day or so (depending on how much you want to pay for shipping). I did regular UPS and got it in about 3 days. The total cost was like $30.

If you don't have the original bag, then I've heard the dealership has all of the keys (there's like 15 of them) for you to try.

Chris.
Old 02-06-2005, 04:29 PM
kary993
Drifting

For anyone who is interested I have a lock set that I have not used for the past 5 years. It is in good shape. $30 bucks plus shipping takes them. I also have some new Porsche alloy lug nuts still in factory bags. $3.00 a piece plus shipping takes those as well.
Old 02-06-2005, 04:39 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

John - I see this many times with keys that were used by air guns on the locking nut. The teeth on the key either become worn, or they are pushed out and no longer make contact with the lug nut. The local dealer is your safest bet to remove them. They will have a set of 45 master keys for getting the lugs off.

Good info Chris. Many folks do not know about this with McGard.
Old 02-06-2005, 06:01 PM
redcarrera
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kary:

You have PM.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:04 AM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First thing I did was buy 4 standard lugs and scrap those dopey locks. Good luck getting yours off.
Old 02-07-2005, 03:27 PM
glennp_993
Rennlist Member

I "misplaced" my master key. Went to my local Porsche repair shop and borrowed their master set. Threw away the 4 locking nuts and bought 4 new standard lugs from them.
Old 02-07-2005, 04:32 PM
JMR
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This happened with my M3. I simply took a socket that was slightly larger than the lock and made it fit with a mini sledge. I had the lock off in 2 minutes.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:31 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,046 Likes on 538 Posts

If anyone else wants a set of lock lugs after Kerry gets rid of his there is a set in my garage which I don't need.
Old 03-22-2005, 06:53 PM
lenticular
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default The stuck lug saga ends.

A few weeks ago I took the car to Mind Over Motorsports to have them look at the screwed up locking lug key. I probably should have done this much sooner, since they are the ones who did my PSS9s and LWF; great mechanics, friendly guys, and Rennlist sponsors. Instead I messed around with it myself and tried to use a Gator Grabber from Sears to no effect.

Joe at MoM took the lug key into the shop and machined it to touch up the worn spot. It looked as good as new. Tim localized my engine noise issue to the a/c belt and told me how to change the belt when the part comes in. Like I say, super guys!

Last weekend I went to Sears for tools (I'm haunting the place) and bought a 1/2 inch articulated ratchet and a 1/2 inch torque wrench. Back home, three of the lug nuts came off without problems, and I torqued down the non-locking lugs I bought from Wheel Enhancement. The day was set to end on an up note, but I could not get the last lug out. Bummer.

Today, my fiance took the car by MoM and they removed the last locking lug nut. This weekend: my first 993 oil and filter change.

Thanks to everyone for your advice and help.

-John
Old 03-22-2005, 07:18 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When you reinstall the lug nuts, recommend applying a light coat of anti-seize on the threads and spherical contact surface. Never had a problem with an aluminum lug nut (non-locking type) or stud in approx. 29 years and ~330,000 miles of various 911 ownerships by doing this.

(well, I take that back - have replaced lug nuts after about 50K miles due to constant switching between track and street tires/wheels and just messing up the looks of the black lug nut hex surface.)

Quick Reply: Locking lug key worn down