Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993 TT powered Noble M12??

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 04:16 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

I think a better ideal than a TT engine would be a biturbo Audi S4 engine, from which you can easily get 450 hp and wouldn't cost so much. They've been put in Lotus Elise's so they would probably fit in a Noble.

Mmmm Lotus Elise with over 400 hp..... drool...
Old 02-04-2005, 05:23 PM
flatair
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd imagine it would not be too expensive to rebuild the Duratec engine with race components & revised turbos to get the power you want without changing the weight in the rear of the car. Heck 340hp in that car is PLENTY, you'd have to be a pretty good driver to make use of more than that.

On a seperate note - since this car is registered as a 'kit car', are there any DMV/DOT issues with getting one of these in the US? i.e. before it was brought here, the lotus elise was being brought over chassis only and having engines installed here in the U.S. It was also registered as a kit car, but the government came down hard on these people - forced the owners to export their cars immediately, and the importers went to jail I believe. Just curious if this could turn out the same way...
Old 02-05-2005, 03:18 AM
wombat7
Three Wheelin'

The only difference between the elise and this is the fact that in the US, they "don't offer" the spec Noble engine and transmission. That's the difference between the Noble and the Elise. If the factory engine is not offered, then there is no way they can prosecute you.

flatair... you're right in the fact that it wouldn't be too expensive to rebuild the Duratec engine, but then you would have your "run of the mill" Noble. Where as if you built it with a 993 engine, you definately have something unique that the government could not say that it was the car from Europe.
Old 02-05-2005, 11:57 AM
Pzkw993
Instructor

Originally Posted by wombat7
Pzkw - Didn't you like your superformance car??
I liked the car, but it was unreliable, dangerous, poorly built, and unfit for track use. FYI that last statement is directly from the manufacturer - when my frame broke during normal use at Mosport, I was told that "Superformance cars are not meant for trackdays or other use of that type".

As for the legalities of importing them, I don't know about the Nobles but I registered and insured my Superformance without any difficulty for two years. That being said, the Superformances are not offered complete anywhere in the world (except, I believe, Switzerland). The Nobles are - so you might have an issue there depending on your state. Here in Ohio all they are concerned about is that you are not using any stolen parts.
Old 02-05-2005, 12:28 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Wait wait, are you talking about THIS car? Or are you referring to the Noble pictured above? I can't imagine that Nobles aren't suited to track use. Now if you're saying that this roadster is dangerous, well, that's not too surprising.
Attached Images  
Old 02-05-2005, 05:20 PM
wombat7
Three Wheelin'

I'm talking about the Noble pictured above... not a roadster
Old 02-05-2005, 08:24 PM
Pzkw993
Instructor

Originally Posted by wombat7
I'm talking about the Noble pictured above... not a roadster
Chad,

Please re-read my comments above and let me know if you have any questions.

Eric,

The S1 was no more frightening to drive on a track than a Caterham or Westfield. It did, however, have a understeer-to-snap-oversteer tendency that would surprise most modern 911 drivers. The front suspension had a very high roll center, the rear had a very low one I have a lot of footage on-track doing a full opposite lock.

Quick Reply: 993 TT powered Noble M12??