Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rotor Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 11:57 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 913 Likes on 551 Posts

I had some small amount of vibration on braking last week. Yesterday I pressure washed the rotors, including rolling the car back a quarter turn to expose the holes hidden by the caliper. Vibration gone. Hope I did not blow a clip out.
Old 02-01-2005, 12:10 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi:

This has been an interesting thread,.....

Might I offer that its really rare to see many warped rotors on these cars unless the car has been extensively tracked. Many brake vibration complaints are caused by uneven brake pad deposits on the rotor surfaces.

Before one condemns a set of rotors for replacement, do yourself a big favor here,......Have them checked for axial runout with a magnetically mounted dial indicator. If you find that the rotors are truly wobbling a bit: .006 or more, then by all means replace (never turn) them.

If they are not warped, briefly install another brand of pad and drive it hard for 50 miles or so to clean off the deposits.

Remember, the bigger the brakes (such as Big Reds), the greater the propensity for this to happen. Its triggered by insufficent brake pad temperatures.
Old 02-01-2005, 04:40 AM
campbesl
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

<Before one condemns a set of rotors for replacement, do yourself a big favor here,......Have them checked for axial runout with a magnetically mounted dial indicator. If you find that the rotors are truly wobbling a bit: .006 or more, then by all means replace (never turn) them.>

Steve,

Why do you say not to turn (machine) the brake rotors? From what I've seen in the shop manuals, Porsche approves of machining rotors.

TIA.

Scott
Old 02-01-2005, 01:10 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Scott:

There are several things that Porsche approves of that I do not agree with,....LOL,....Oil change intervals for one. Good for them; bad for you.

I've made it a practice to never machine (non full-floating) brake rotors that will be used for DE events or racing. Removing metal that reduces mass (therefore thermal dissipation capacity) will increase the likelihood of a warped rotor, especially street type ones. One can Blanchard grind a full floating rotor to its minimum thickness without an issue,....
Old 02-02-2005, 11:36 AM
Traffic53
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
I've made it a practice to never machine (non full-floating) brake rotors that will be used for DE events or racing.

thanks steve-
i haven't really seen any threads recommending machining rotors- i thought it sounded somewhat fishy
Old 02-02-2005, 10:31 PM
johnwelch
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wanted to say a quick thanks to all, and also say that as this was well worth the price of admission I have just signed up for membership. Now, I'm just waiting for my membership number!

Quick Reply: Rotor Question