993 Forum 1995-1998

993 Price Bubble Burst?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 04:05 PM
SKM
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts

Eric,

It's actually worse than your previous post suggests. The seller pays Barrett-Jackson an 8% premium as well as the buyer on the $59K, plus the seller pays a listing/entry fee of $350-500. So the seller netted about $54K on his sale, the buyer paid $63,720 and Barrett-Jackson earned about $10K i n fees and commissions.
Old 01-31-2005, 04:38 PM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by paradisenb
BJ is an auction attended by baby boomers. These guys/gals grew up having and hoping to have these American muscle cars. Now as they try to relive the past, rekindle the memories of their youth, and can afford to buy them, they are paying whatever it takes to try to recapture 'that lovin feeling'.
I can imagine 30 years from now that auction will be filled with hot rod ricers, Hondas, Toyota, Evos, etc. and they will be pulling unbelievable prices. Kids today love these cars as many of us loved the 454 Chevelle. Todays youth would not even consider buying those 'old' cars.
A green Tip - Cab? Give me a break. Yuck! 996 Cabs sell because they are Posure vehicles. Automatic, cupholders and heated seats, oh my.
I'm a young guy, and I wouldn't be caught DEAD in a ricer Japanese car. I would, however, love to own a few of those chargers, GTX's, and Z28's.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:36 PM
Trader220
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

To give you an idea of how lousy the prices are at he BJ auction on most cars and how the “alpha male ego” syndrome plays a part in pricing and how little these guys know about Porsches you need not look further than the 1983 slant turbo cab that traded for 39,500 at the auction.

It was offered on Ebay several weeks ago for 24,900 buy it now. It was a conversion to cab, and conversion to slant and a gray market car. None of which was disclosed at the auction. In addition the TV host called it one of the best buys so far and said it would be maintenance free for many miles. The entire interior was shoddy aftermarket parts slapped together and that wasn’t mentioned either.

But two silly buyers ran the price right up to the ozone layer cause the whole world was watching.

Quick Reply: 993 Price Bubble Burst?